DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:43 PM
In case the newbies missed it, this is still by far the coolest custom V1 install:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=63545
[snapback]96245[/snapback]
Perhaps the coolest install...but not the most effective.

My V1 is hardwired with the main unit located just to the right of the rear view mirror, and I installed the concealed display in front of the (useless) MPG gauge. With this setup, the main unit has perfect line of sight front and rear, without interfering with the driver's sun visor, and doesn't light up, so is not noticeable by police. The concealed display location is perfect since you just have to look down slightly from your normal driving viewpoint, plus the mute button is in easy reach, and police can't see it from behind.

With the arrows in the mirror setup, I don't see what the advantage would be (especially given the additional effort and/or expense), since you still have to look far away from your normal line-of-sight (to where my V1 main unit is located) to see the arrows, and the mute button is also near where my V1 main unit is located--and you don't get the benefit of the concealed display location for viewing the arrows and proximity to the mute button.

Here's a few pix:

Old 03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Stream, I wasn't trying to say that the mirror install was any better or worse than your setup -- it's just cool as hell!

One thing I learned many, many years ago from a State Trooper friend of mine -- if a cop stops you and knows/sees that you have a detector, there will be no warning issued since that tells them you intended to speed, etc. In other words, if you get instant on'd, your natural instinct is to jam on the brakes to slow down. If the cop sees you do this right when he presses his trigger, he knows you have a detector so the trick is to not hit the brakes if you find yourself getting hit first in a line of cars, etc.

As far as mounting, I always just use the suction cups and cig lighter adapter and, in the rare case where I'm getting pulled over, it only takes a second to remove all evidence of the detector and stash it somewhere out of sight. One time I got pulled over and the cop actually bent down to look up near the headliner to see if I have one. That day, I got a warning since I was able to stash it and he assumed I didn't have one.

I guess that's one plus for the mirror installation. No cop would notice that since it's not very common. For me, I have no need for a permanent install since only State Police in Pennsylvania can use radar. Because of this, I only need my detector if I'm taking a trip on an interstate highway (which isn't a daily thing for me.)
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 2 2005, 06:09 PM
Stream, I wasn't trying to say that the mirror install was any better or worse than your setup -- it's just cool as hell!

One thing I learned many, many years ago from a State Trooper friend of mine -- if a cop stops you and knows/sees that you have a detector, there will be no warning issued since that tells them you intended to speed, etc.? In other words, if you get instant on'd, your natural instinct is to jam on the brakes to slow down.? If the cop sees you do this right when he presses his trigger, he knows you have a detector so the trick is to not hit the brakes if you find yourself getting hit first in a line of cars, etc.?

As far as mounting, I always just use the suction cups and cig lighter adapter and, in the rare case where I'm getting pulled over, it only takes a second to remove all evidence of the detector and stash it somewhere out of sight.? One time I got pulled over and the cop actually bent down to look up near the headliner to see if I have one.? That day, I got a warning since I was able to stash it and he assumed I didn't have one.?

I guess that's one plus for the mirror installation.? No cop would notice that since it's not very common.? For me, I have no need for a permanent install since only State Police in Pennsylvania can use radar.? Because of this, I only need my detector if I'm taking a trip on an interstate highway (which isn't a daily thing for me.)
[snapback]96361[/snapback]

Rudy, no offense taken!! Just wanted to add my perspective for those who might be considering the mirror set up.

I know of a few Porsche drivers who bought the mirror with the arrows etched in it, and after spending several hundred dollars realized it didn't really buy them anything (you still have to place the radar detector some place with clear line-of-sight front and rear). And at night, the concealed display is great, since the cop behind you doesn't see any lights on the radar detector (or mirror if you have one!).

Although I've never had to (knock on wood), I agree with removing the radar detector (and concealed display in my set up) if you get pulled over.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 2 2005, 08:09 PM
One thing I learned many, many years ago from a State Trooper friend of mine -- if a cop stops you and knows/sees that you have a detector, there will be no warning issued since that tells them you intended to speed, etc.?
[snapback]96361[/snapback]
Ah, but not always, Rudy. I had a captain in McAlester, OK stop me doing 73 in a 50 zone. The first action he took was to shove his head in the window and say, "How do you like this car?" He was looking right at the V1. I figured the car question was just a pretense. I, of course, was on my best behavior during the stop, and all I got was a, "Can you hold it down?" My wife ( who had me distracted from the squawking V1 which caused the stop in the first place) assured him that she would make sure I did. And I did, so the other McAlester car running instant on about a half mile on down the road was of no concern.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
JDN
Contributors

The problem I have with stream's set up is the remote location. I really believe the remote is extraneous unless you are putting the V1 in the grill. With you location, stream, I would have to make more of an eye movement than looking at the V1 itself. I have my new V1 in the same location you do. Before I had it on the left where it interfered somewhat with the visor. That was a great location for watching the display -- better than where it is now. I am still adjusting to the new location and may eventually move it back to the left. A ball cap makes a great sun visor.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Mar 3 2005, 11:17 AM
The problem I have with stream's set up is the remote location. I really believe the remote is extraneous unless you are putting the V1 in the grill. With you location, stream, I would have to make more of an eye movement than looking at the V1 itself. I have my new V1 in the same location you do. Before I had it on the left where it interfered somewhat with the visor. That was a great location for watching the display -- better than where it is now. I am still adjusting to the new location and may eventually move it back to the left. A ball cap makes a great sun visor.
[snapback]96681[/snapback]
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree! This is the same set up I had in my last Carrera for a few years, and it worked great. When I got my 545i I tried using just the main unit, in the same location as it is now, but didn't like it. When I get a bogey (with the concealed display) I look down just a few inches from my normal driving line-of-sight, only have to move my eyes, and not my head, and can quickly switch back and forth between viewing the road and the concealed display. With the main unit only, I had to turn my head up and to the right, and was no longer looking anywhere near my normal driving line-of-sight. I guess that's the reason they locate the instrument cluster where it is, instead of to the right of the rear view mirror!!

And as I mentioned before, the other benefit of the concealed display is the main unit is not lit up, so a cop behind you doesn't notice it, especially at night. Plus the mute button is closer than the main unit.

I agree that locating the main unit just to the left of the rear view mirror is a good location, and initially tried that (without the concealed display), but it really interfered with the driver's sun visor operation.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Stream,

How did you route the cable to the remote unit?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

Here's how I routed the wires from the main V1 unit to the direct-wire power adapter (which is hardwired in the overhead console by the map lights), and to the concealed display in front of the MPG gauge. I started at the overhead console and worked toward the concealed display, but suggest starting at the concealed display, so you know you'll have the perfect amount of wire at that end (I lucked out!).

I used a plastic putty knife from Home Depot to wedge the wire between the interior trim pieces. Push with slow, steady force and you'll end up with no wires showing.
Wedge the wire between the headliner support and roof, then down the a pillar:
radar det-img_1204.jpg
Then between a pillar and dash:
radar det-img_1207_1.jpg
Then between wood trim and dash:
radar det-img_1199_2.jpg
And finally above steering column to the concealed display. The pic is with the steering wheel all the way down to show wire (it isn't visible when steering wheel is in driving position):
radar det-img_1210.jpg
Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

good job, stream .
Old 03-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Thank you very much. Looks like something that will be doing in the near future.

Any thoughts about placing the concealed display to the left next to the A pillar?? I want to see that MPG gauge. J/K

Quick Reply: radar det