DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Quick Question: Right power wire for V1 direct install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I have a problem with my V1 install, tapping 12v power from the "green/yel" wire in the overhead console so many have used. On my car, that wire goes to the sunroof switch, and when connected to the V1 (with 12v confirmed by meter), the V1 doesn't power up, and the sunroof reports "anti-trap warning" and doesn't operate. If I disconnect the wire from the tap connector, the sunroof operates normally.

Help, with the right switched power wire? I have no idea. Thanks,

Cal
Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='568668' date='Apr 26 2008, 01:55 PM
I have a problem with my V1 install, tapping 12v power from the "green/yel" wire in the overhead console so many have used. On my car, that wire goes to the sunroof switch, and when connected to the V1 (with 12v confirmed by meter), the V1 doesn't power up, and the sunroof reports "anti-trap warning" and doesn't operate. If I disconnect the wire from the tap connector, the sunroof operates normally.

Help, with the right switched power wire? I have no idea. Thanks,

Cal
There are two groups of wires in the overhead console, try the other set.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

There are actually about five wire bundles, but in all of them there is only one green/yellow wire, the one providing 12V to the sunroof switch.

There must be another switched-power wire up there, without the attendant error problem.

Cal
Old 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

I've looked at every thread I can find here, to try to identify the right wire... I see what you're saying, maybe there is a green/yel in the wire loom between the mirror and rain sensor as some suggested. I'll wait for better light in the morning to go back into it and see if I can solve the problem.
Cal
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

I posted this on bimmerfest a minute ago, thought I'd close the loop here.

Well, just a watch-out, if you tap into the grn/yel wire that serves the sunroof switch, on a 2008 550i fitted up like mine at least, and with a confirmed good tap yielding 13.6 volts when running, you will not only get the anti trap warning but you'll eliminate virtually all of your stored memory info (e.g., radio presets, mirror/wheel positions, etc.).

At least that's what the tap-in did to me. I'm clear it is the wrong wire for my car at least, but I'm not going to try the other one. I'll pay the dealer the $75 he wants to tap it in. Should have done that in the first place, as JeffNNJ did. Something's changed in this car compared to the others of yours you guys have had great luck with.

Cal
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I too tried over the weekend on my 08 535 to do the install. I went threw every bundel up there, and there is only one green /yellow line , not like the ones in the pictures from previous installs, and it runs to the sun roof not the mirrior or auto rain sensor.

Never could get it to work, had good connection, and good ground. My car was produced in 01/08 and does not have the auto dimming mirror. There are a ton of blue/ brown and red/black, brown /black, but just the one half green half yellow, not the green with smaller yellow stripe.

Ended up just plugging it in the 12v socket in the passenger side footwell (location is a joke , never going to use it for any thing eacept maybe a power inverter) and running the power line behind the gloove box, up the weather stripping to the headliner, around the frame of the window in to the roof liner and out the rear view mirror area. No faults , and the sunroof still works fine.

looks like the LCI's have a new wiring harness ...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for confirming.... some of these prevous threads and posts had me thinking I was a real klutz when it comes to DIY... well, so I am, OKay~ but I didn't want to believe it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Me too , spent 3-4 hours on sunday going threw each wiring bundle with a pick and flash light. That wire does not exist on my car , I am certain of that.
Now one of the other ones may be correct but it is not the one that is pictured in the DiY
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Unless something changed from my delivery, got everything working in about 20 min. There is 2 green/yellow wires, if one does not work try the other. Also try to re-crimp that clip which came with V1, goodluck
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

The "re-crimp" issue -- in my case at least, the tap connector has not been the problem. As stated, after tapping the grn/yel wire I checked the voltage available to the V1 with the car running --> about 13.6V. I know lots of people have written they suspect the problem some of us have had with this install is lack of conduction of the tap connector. Granted, the V1 supplied connector is too large for the thin-gauged wire BMW used, but if the wire is squeezed all the way into the aluminum slot of the tap connector, it works.

It's the wrong wire.

Cal

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Right power wire for V1 direct install