DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

place the v1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One
Cool

I have mine hardwired and it only took 15 mins to mount (on both my old E39 and E60). I'll take some pics (tomorow if you'd like) to show where I place mine. It seems to get the best of both worlds, Laser and Radar. I've had my V1 for about 3+ years now and no problems since. Florida Highway Patrol is always on the guard, so I've had plenty of experience.

I believe that it has saved me from a few tickets -- or more (at least that's what I believe) - our cars just "tend" to want to go 100+ from time-to-time all by themselves....you know?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='568315' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:26 PM
I have mine hardwired and it only took 15 mins to mount (on both my old E39 and E60). I'll take some pics (tomorow if you'd like) to show where I place mine. It seems to get the best of both worlds, Laser and Radar. I've had my V1 for about 3+ years now and no problems since. Florida Highway Patrol is always on the guard, so I've had plenty of experience.

I believe that it has saved me from a few tickets -- or more (at least that's what I believe) - our cars just "tend" to want to go 100+ from time-to-time all by themselves....you know?

Yes please I would like to see that!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

I hardwired my V1 in the area where the vanity lights are located above the rear-view mirror. Mine does not interfere with anything. I mounted mine to the right of the mirror which does not block any driver vision. I've posted a link below. I recommend to splice into a wire that is switched on with the ignition. That way you don't have to switch the V1 on and off each time you drive.

Here's the link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost....mp;postcount=18
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

A few observations on the placement of the V1 and the hard wire issues. I agree with the placement of the V1 in the middle of the windscreen, below the RV mirror. The laser detector must have a clear view of the rear window to catch those errant photons. However, in my experience, I have never seen a member of the law enforcement community shooting a laser at the rear of a car, almost always at the front. I spliced the wire going to the foot well 12 volt receptacle, and ran the power wire under the fuse box, and into the door seal. I followed the door seal up to the roof line, and then tucked the wire into the area between the headliner and the windscreen. You can keep the wires tucked into this space is you put three or four small wire ties about four inches apart, just wrap them around the power wire, and cut the tail off, and tuck them in. I ran the power line down the windscreen, tucking it into the big black plastic thing behind the RV mirror, and then ties the excess off with another wire tie. In hindsight, I guess I would recommend that you do this process in reverse, so that the excess wire would be out of site in the foot well. Anyhow, here are the pics of my mount.
Attached Thumbnails place the v1-dscn3253.jpg  
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by providenceleaf' post='568338' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:52 PM
Yes please I would like to see that!
Ok, you'll see that I just use the Clip (provided) and clip it to the passenger's sun visor. This seem to work for me...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributors

I forgot to add that it doesn't "stick out" when mounted on the windshield -- some states don't allow Radar detection...

studavis said:
>>However, in my experience, I have never seen a member of the law enforcement community shooting a laser at the rear of a car, almost always at the front.

I also agree with this.. however, I've had a Laser detection more than a few times (and it could have been a "false positive"; but who knows?)
Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

this whole process took me 10 min to hardwire my 8500. Just spliced into the green/yellow wiring and grounded it. Thanks!! Now who has the wiring diagram for the BMW?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

What year is your car, you need to take special car on the 08 535's due to the wiring being different than what is listed in the DIY's. I don't know about the other 08's, I think there are some 550's that have no problem's. It's been noted in one of the DIY's but I don't think there has been any resolution to the problem. I just plugged mine in under the dash in the passenger side foot well, and ran the power cord up the A pillar, across the head liner and out around the Rear view mirror.
Not too tough.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

The nice thing about mounting it above the rear view mirror on the right side is it is a natural place for your eyes to glance to, and it's less obvious than lower down on the windshield. My 550 had tint across the top which hid it nicely but the M5 has no tint band across the top - strange
place the v1-img_0726.jpg
place the v1-img_0728.jpg
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

That is also where I mount my v1 with the concealed display behind the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: place the v1