DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

place the v1

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

....hello all ...after i purchase a v1...now the Q is:

where is the best place( on the windshield) to mount the v1..

if possible some pictures.....and also how to hard wire.....?

p.s on the owner manual at the page 11.."some windshields have a dark tint band across the top( our E60 have one).avoid mounting behind that band"
...so will be OK to mount right below that band??

respect to all of you....... steli..
Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I've started to consider the same question. There are several posts here and on the other forum of DIY installations -- if you do a search you'll find them, and/or someone will put a link into this thread. The ones I've seen mount either left or more often right of the rear-view mirror high on the windshield. I'd like that as well, except the V1 will then interfere with motion of the visor. I've considered low on the windshield, but that has the obvious disadvantage of poor sight trajectory for inbound signals (higher the better), and less obvious source of power.

I'm still undecided. I wish the V1 were smaller, or there were more room between the visor and the mirror...

Cal
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

In order for the V1 to work as advertised, it needs to be positioned where it can get a clear view of both the front and back windshield. Thus the best place is in the center of windshield somewhere below the rear view mirrow. As for restricting the driver's view, its no different than a Garmin or Tom-Tom.

The factory tint on the front windshield is not an issue. I've used mine for years on the Camaro w/aftermarket tint on the rear hatch and had no problems.

You could clip it on to the sun visor, but IMO its too bulky to fit there and you have to deal with the power wire.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

most members have it above the rear-view. some on driver's side, majority of them on passengers side. many threads on this topic as well as DIY as calpalmer mentioned.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i guess i have to do some home work ..and read the diy topics...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

To the left of the mirror below the black band on the glass. I doesn't interfere with the visor at all. I understand that hardwiring is easy but I paid $50 to have it professionally installed. On a side note, I cannot believe how well they hold their value. I bought a new one just to have the POP capability and sold my old unit with all the new accessories from my new unit on eBay for $390. Go figure.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='567916' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:43 AM
To the left of the mirror below the black band on the glass. I doesn't interfere with the visor at all.

exactly, and it gets good view out the back too
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Best placement for me is above rearview mirror, on passenger side. This gives the rear bullseye a better view out the back than on the driver side, since the roofliner is not as low.

Hardwiring this location is simple, and can be done by yourself in 20 minutes. Excellent DIY thread in this forum.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
skw
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='567506' date='Apr 24 2008, 09:19 PM
In order for the V1 to work as advertised, it needs to be positioned where it can get a clear view of both the front and back windshield. Thus the best place is in the center of windshield somewhere below the rear view mirrow. As for restricting the driver's view, its no different than a Garmin or Tom-Tom.

The factory tint on the front windshield is not an issue. I've used mine for years on the Camaro w/aftermarket tint on the rear hatch and had no problems.

You could clip it on to the sun visor, but IMO its too bulky to fit there and you have to deal with the power wire.
As regards the V1's view out the back window, has anyone had any issues w/ also installing a rear roof spoiler? Would the V1 have to be then mounted a little lower on the windshield to have a clear view out the back?

P.S.: Still waiting to buy my E60...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by skw' post='568264' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:51 PM
As regards the V1's view out the back window, has anyone had any issues w/ also installing a rear roof spoiler? Would the V1 have to be then mounted a little lower on the windshield to have a clear view out the back?

P.S.: Still waiting to buy my E60...
Most likely - yes.

Most "hostile" radar and laser signals will come from the front of the car. However, they are just as effective from behind - I've been zapped by police cars hidden behind overpasses and clearings where you are already past them when you see them.

Quick Reply: place the v1