DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Phone cradle for HTC Diamond

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKruys' post='794250' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:51 PM
So how is this mod going? Still working well with no issues? I have an HTC Victor (Diamond Variant from T-Mobile) and am looking to do a similiar thing for my phone. I must say, I am very impressed. Your pictures have *almost* given me the confidence to try this!
Thanks.

Still working fine after all this time. No issues whatsoever.

Just start building one. Once you've started you'll be fine, it's finished before you know it.

Good luck,
Tim

P.S. One remark: If you put your phone in such a charging cradle, you'll forget it many many times... I had to walk back to my E60 so often to pick up my phone, it's embarassing. The postive thing is that walking towards an E60 is always a pleasure.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What resistor value did you use to tune the voltage to 5.1V?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

I got a couple of PMs on the resistor value to reach 5.1V.
To be honest, I don't know the value anymore. I calculated it back then and I took the nearest value, and after soldering it to the PCB all was fine.

There are 2 ways:
1) Trial and error: just lower the existing resistor value by putting a 1K or 2K2 or whatever in parallel. I have no clue about actual values, sorry, but just take a value that's approx 5 times higher than what's originally on the PCB. Alternatively, you can replace the original one for a ~20% lower value instead of putting a parallel resistor on it. This trial & error method will not cause any damage, because you're lowering the voltage. If it's a bit higher or lower than it should be: No problem. Try the next one. Just measure the output back for each value you try and come to the end value by iteration. Do not connect the phone until you have confirmed the right voltage by measurement.

2) See which values are used originally (may be different for each cradle), note down the output voltage, and calculate the new values for the voltage divider. It's basic electronics and comes down to Vref = (R1/(R1+R2))*Vout. If you know anything about electronics, you should be able to calculate the new value within seconds.

Just to make sure you know which resistor we're talking about: See this picture.

Kind regards,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails Phone cradle for HTC Diamond-e60_cradle.jpg  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by timewa' post='926683' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:40 PM
I got a couple of PMs on the resistor value to reach 5.1V.
To be honest, I don't know the value anymore. I calculated it back then and I took the nearest value, and after soldering it to the PCB all was fine.

There are 2 ways:
1) Trial and error: just lower the existing resistor value by putting a 1K or 2K2 or whatever in parallel. I have no clue about actual values, sorry, but just take a value that's approx 5 times higher than what's originally on the PCB. Alternatively, you can replace the original one for a ~20% lower value instead of putting a parallel resistor on it. This trial & error method will not cause any damage, because you're lowering the voltage. If it's a bit higher or lower than it should be: No problem. Try the next one. Just measure the output back for each value you try and come to the end value by iteration. Do not connect the phone until you have confirmed the right voltage by measurement.

2) See which values are used originally (may be different for each cradle), note down the output voltage, and calculate the new values for the voltage divider. It's basic electronics and comes down to Vref = (R1/(R1+R2))*Vout. If you know anything about electronics, you should be able to calculate the new value within seconds.

Just to make sure you know which resistor we're talking about: See this picture.

Kind regards,
Tim
Tim,

I'm using the same cradle as you and the same phone too so would be interested to know what you used there. What was the total effective resistor value after you finished that modification to get 5.1V.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Members

Hello together,

my english is not the best, so I hope you understand what I mean. I made your DIY-cradle but it don`t charge. What´s about the Standbycontact "2" on the M108? Do I have to wire it?

Thank you for answer!!!