DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Performing a Nav Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by CT1' post='751893' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:14 PM
Dirk

When your done you may as well update the whole car as you only have 11 modules to update, then do a quick test and clear any faults and the car is now 100% upgraded.
It worked!!!!

We had to go into the vehicle order and remove SA606 and add SA609 as it just wouldn't let us do it otherwise. Once we changed the VO, it worked like a charm.

There were many shocked faces! No one thought it could be done. We didn't even make it to the Autologic rep as I wanted to try your instructions first! I had a good feeling about it once I saw your post. Again, no idea where you came from but you are clearly freaking Santa claus!!!

Audio and stearing wheel buttons all work again, now t reinstall my iPod adapter and I am set! Woohoo!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Good news Finally...I've been following this thread for a while!
Enjoy it!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 AM
CT1
Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751932' date='Dec 24 2008, 10:44 AM
It worked!!!!

We had to go into the vehicle order and remove SA606 and add SA609 as it just wouldn't let us do it otherwise. Once we changed the VO, it worked like a charm.

There were many shocked faces! No one thought it could be done. We didn't even make it to the Autologic rep as I wanted to try your instructions first! I had a good feeling about it once I saw your post. Again, no idea where you came from but you are clearly freaking Santa claus!!!

Audio and stearing wheel buttons all work again, now t reinstall my iPod adapter and I am set! Woohoo!!!

Lol, always remember if someone tells you NO, question it. We normally always find a way around the issue(s) & you get great enjoyment getting the systems working when others have failed the customer.

You have a nice Christmas, and if you ever need any help with your coding & software issues just let me know..

www.cartronics.co.uk

Santa clause signing off...lol

PS Merry Xmas Dr Dave
Old 12-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Members

Interesting thread

I did my Business to pro upgrade a while back and your right the correct approach is
  • Car to the dealer for there latest CIP version.
  • Do your retro fit as dealer wont fit second hand parts.
  • Back to dealer for coding and CCC update, hopefully they dont update the CIP in between.

I've since done a bit of research and from what I can tell

The Car viehicle order its "VO" is it central config on boot, all the modules read this to determine how to behave
the firmware images inside ECUs contain multiple possible configs. This why a used CCC although set for another cars audio system won't work
until it and the VO is set properly. I had this issue - no sound till coded.

One of the problems with SSS is its rigid way of doing things, this is to avoid out of sync firmware but sometime turning on an option seem to be a major event.

Sadly dealers charge a fortune to update your car, BMW are cracking down free upgrades for minor updates so
at 150 plus vat an hour that will put a lot of upgrades on hold for most of us, and Ipod kit would cost 5 times its parts cost to code and fit for me.

The autologic is interesting, i'd expect a solution similar to VAGcom which ive used on my our GTI
in the USA, due to laws you can buy a pass through adapter and register with BMW NA and do it over the web using a browser.
Sadly in Europe this isn't an option.

MAE60D
Old 12-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Contributors

see i told you..............
that wizard is mark from cartronics in byfleet surrey, they know there stuff there and mark did all the programing for my car, he sorted my pro nav retro fit, and compleatly re wired and programed my 20 way seats, anybody in the south of england who needs work on there BMW's should check these guys out, they will bend over backwards to help, and dont mind doing things out of the ordinary.

im glad you got it sorted dirk.

happy christmas mark and staff @ cartronics.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751932' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:44 AM
It worked!!!!

Hurray! what a great christmas present. Congratulations!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

a nice happy ending finale... congrats!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Was truly a happy feeling to have something go right for once! He didn't have the optical connection for the autologic to do the whole update and the progman was in the middle of updating and X5 so I'm going in after xmas to get a full 11 component update so my ipod adapter will work.

Played around with the pro-nav a bit. Is there a way to get it to show street names?? It's decent, but it's difficult because I only have the 2006 GCC maps.. I drove out into water a few times as the position of the palm isn't correct, and it's missing a bridge and whole freeway system! A lot can happen in two years . Now I'm on the hunt to find the latest GCC maps (and no, I refuse to pay over 1k US for it!)

Next undertaking - Replacing my headlights. Front left has a crack in it letting moister in, and front right keeps frying my angel eye bulbs . Wiring is trashed due to the excessive heat here. Tried electrical taping them up real good but is still frying my bulbs after a couple of weeks. Oh well, will think about that next year - hurrah to cartronics! Thanks for getting them on the case Dr Dave. Much appreciated to all who chipped in or gave encouragement. What a taxing ordeal!

Merry x-mas to everyone .

Will be doing a DIY write up with pictures in a couple of days for those interested in doing a business-pro nav upgrade.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Members

Hi

Great thread, however, I have just purchased a complete professional nav system to replace my business system on 03 E60. Now here is my concern I contacted Navtvmam a firm I enquired about fitting it and was told the following

Due to there being a number of different part numbers for the screens (8. 5in), I drive controllers and CCC they may not work.

My Q being, is this true and do I need to find specific part numbers to fit my 04 E60? My understanding is that components from all E60 are interchangeable once re-coded / programmed

Regards
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751932' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:44 AM
It worked!!!!

FANTASTIC - I've been following this thread like a soap opera - and sending good vibes that it would work!
I did a similar upgrade to my Mercedes a while back - didn't require 1/10th this effort, but was told no by the dealer :-)
Am very happy for you. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Performing a Nav Retrofit