DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Performing a Nav Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Progman turned out to be a dead end. Apparently there is a disk that can be used to wipe a CCC or M-ASK but the dealership here knew nothing of it, and the mechanic's shop didn't have it. nothing we tried would work, always coming up with the error to replace the CCC.

I have an appointment to take my car, it's CCC and 3 other CCC's to the Autologic rep's place tomorrow. If we get no joy with my current CCC, we'll swap them out until something works. Another $500 USD spent on this little project and I'll be at the amount required for a brand new Nav Retrofit kit.

Lesson of the day - Unless you know, unequivocally, that you have a shop that guarantees they can encode secondhand CCC's used in the retrofit, BUY NEW.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751143' date='Dec 23 2008, 05:07 AM
Progman turned out to be a dead end. Apparently there is a disk that can be used to wipe a CCC or M-ASK but the dealership here knew nothing of it, and the mechanic's shop didn't have it. nothing we tried would work, always coming up with the error to replace the CCC.

I have an appointment to take my car, it's CCC and 3 other CCC's to the Autologic rep's place tomorrow. If we get no joy with my current CCC, we'll swap them out until something works. Another $500 USD spent on this little project and I'll be at the amount required for a brand new Nav Retrofit kit.

Lesson of the day - Unless you know, unequivocally, that you have a shop that guarantees they can encode secondhand CCC's used in the retrofit, BUY NEW.
Big Props to you! i'm usually in the same boat trying stuff and seeing if it works lol
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Contributors

but its not the CCC that needs coding?? its your cars "brain"
your car needs to be told that it now has a CCC unit installed (the secondhand CCC does not contain any data, it is a hardware item)
im sorry to sound like a stuck gramaphone , but to me it seams like the programer does not know if his ar*e is drilled, bored, or countersunk.
i have spoken to my guys who say it is so easy its not true, they inform me that the CCC's are the same, and they must follow the pro nav retrofit path.
also they cant understand why the autologic man does not just phone the 24/7 dedicated "live" help desk, and give your chassis number and they would write a program to fit your car and its new hardware...its that easy, if your guy does not have subscription for autologic.....then i would surgest he is incompitent with autologic.

i hear your frustration mate.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='751210' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:04 AM
(the secondhand CCC does not contain any data, it is a hardware item)
not quite correct, Dave. the used CCC contains firmware that is programmed to enable/disable the features of the car, and any cars made after 3/07 will not take a used CCC. Dirk won't be affected by that, as he has an 04, but yes, secondhand CCCs contain data.

I guess I'm starting to realize how lucky my software coding process was....
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Contributors

i stand corrected sir. thank you.

ps:

Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='751210' date='Dec 23 2008, 06:04 PM
but its not the CCC that needs coding?? its your cars "brain"
your car needs to be told that it now has a CCC unit installed (the secondhand CCC does not contain any data, it is a hardware item)
im sorry to sound like a stuck gramaphone , but to me it seams like the programer does not know if his ar*e is drilled, bored, or countersunk.
i have spoken to my guys who say it is so easy its not true, they inform me that the CCC's are the same, and they must follow the pro nav retrofit path.
also they cant understand why the autologic man does not just phone the 24/7 dedicated "live" help desk, and give your chassis number and they would write a program to fit your car and its new hardware...its that easy, if your guy does not have subscription for autologic.....then i would surgest he is incompitent with autologic.

i hear your frustration mate.
Well, I'm actually going to the UAE Autologic rep tomorrow morning so if anyone is going to know how to program it, I'm assuming it's Autologic . Me, my car, and my mechanic are loading up 4 CCC's and taking a trip to Autologic so if it's going to work I have a feeling tomorrow is my best shot at it.

There isn't a lot of experience here for these kinds of things. You have to look at the type of people who own these cars - Very wealthy locals who would just rather pay new for everything. If they wanted a nav upgrade, they'll buy a car with nav. And than there are the expats, who are usually only here for a year or two and don't do anything to their car because they're leaving soon anyway. Because there is no call or drive for these types of things, mechanics never have to figure this out. There is just no experience here with this kind of thing.

I purchased my ipod adapter from the dealer and he was like.. "Wait, you just want the device? What are you going to do with it?".. My response, "Install it?".. At that point I was told that I needed special BMW only tools to do this install and "No one works on their own BMW."

By the way, that special tool they said I needed? yeah, a torx set.

Anyway, will report back tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751401' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:19 PM
Well, I'm actually going to the UAE Autologic rep tomorrow morning so if anyone is going to know how to program it, I'm assuming it's Autologic . Me, my car, and my mechanic are loading up 4 CCC's and taking a trip to Autologic so if it's going to work I have a feeling tomorrow is my best shot at it.

There isn't a lot of experience here for these kinds of things. You have to look at the type of people who own these cars - Very wealthy locals who would just rather pay new for everything. If they wanted a nav upgrade, they'll buy a car with nav. And than there are the expats, who are usually only here for a year or two and don't do anything to their car because they're leaving soon anyway. Because there is no call or drive for these types of things, mechanics never have to figure this out. There is just no experience here with this kind of thing.

I purchased my ipod adapter from the dealer and he was like.. "Wait, you just want the device? What are you going to do with it?".. My response, "Install it?".. At that point I was told that I needed special BMW only tools to do this install and "No one works on their own BMW."

By the way, that special tool they said I needed? yeah, a torx set.

Anyway, will report back tomorrow.
Good luck! I'd take the old M-ASK too just in case. If autologic can't do it something else is wrong.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
CT1
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='751429' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:42 PM
Good luck! I'd take the old M-ASK too just in case. If autologic can't do it something else is wrong.
Dirk

Firstly update the Autologic to CIP52 & the latest software for BMW (hardware on AUTOLOGIC).
Make sure you have the lead on the OBD AND the MOST optical lead at had (plugs in the diagnostic port in glove box) you will need this for the UPDATES (Not the coding).
Run CIP and read the initial report, you should have NO errors (red lines listed) if you do we need to correct these first. Now if you have an error on Mask (as I think you do) and no other modules then proceed to coding.

You should go to the Retrofit button & go to the very last page 4/4 and choose Nav Pro retrofit, this should then proceed to retrofit (code) without errors. It SHOULD ignore the fact that the MASK is reporting an error and override this.

If this fails, then go out of CIP. Go back into CIP but go into vehicle order and look for SA609a this is the code for Nav Pro, so if not their ADD at the top with the other SA numbers. back up twice and continue to Retrofit page. Now go to page 4 of retrofit and go for NAv Pro again and all should work as the car thinks it has Pro fitted so heck why not code..

Once done, hard reset (battery off 5 seconds) back on and go into CIP again. on the initial report you should now have no errors.. All you need to so is update software and it?s good to go( allow 3-5hrs for this)...

Lots to take on board, but the Autologic is only as good as the tool using it!

Good luck
Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CT1' post='751580' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:06 AM
Dirk

Firstly update the Autologic to CIP52 & the latest software for BMW (hardware on AUTOLOGIC).
Make sure you have the lead on the OBD AND the MOST optical lead at had (plugs in the diagnostic port in glove box) you will need this for the UPDATES (Not the coding).
Run CIP and read the initial report, you should have NO errors (red lines listed) if you do we need to correct these first. Now if you have an error on Mask (as I think you do) and no other modules then proceed to coding.

You should go to the Retrofit button & go to the very last page 4/4 and choose Nav Pro retrofit, this should then proceed to retrofit (code) without errors. It SHOULD ignore the fact that the MASK is reporting an error and override this.

If this fails, then go out of CIP. Go back into CIP but go into vehicle order and look for SA609a this is the code for Nav Pro, so if not their ADD at the top with the other SA numbers. back up twice and continue to Retrofit page. Now go to page 4 of retrofit and go for NAv Pro again and all should work as the car thinks it has Pro fitted so heck why not code..

Once done, hard reset (battery off 5 seconds) back on and go into CIP again. on the initial report you should now have no errors.. All you need to so is update software and it?s good to go( allow 3-5hrs for this)...

Lots to take on board, but the Autologic is only as good as the tool using it!

Good luck
I have no idea who you are or where the hell you came from but... I think I'm in love! (in a not gay way) Welcome to E60 and thank YOU! Printing this out now for the autologic peeps!

<3
Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 PM
CT1
Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751807' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:19 AM
I have no idea who you are or where the hell you came from but... I think I'm in love! (in a not gay way) Welcome to E60 and thank YOU! Printing this out now for the autologic peeps!

<3
Dirk

When your done you may as well update the whole car as you only have 11 modules to update, then do a quick test and clear any faults and the car is now 100% upgraded.

Quick Reply: Performing a Nav Retrofit