DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Passenger restraint error on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

So after my buddy sat on the passenger side, two second later I got the code. I did a review and many people suggest that perhaps the connection under the passenger seat got loose or disconnected. It could be a faulty sensor. I'm booked with BMW on Monday to look at this, but my question is, if it's just a loose connection, how do get to it?

Is it as simple as lifting the mat? does the sensor sit right underneath it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm fairly sure this is a subject of a recall. Check
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue Metallic 545I

Yes it is a recall, the dealership will fix it free of charge. They might give you a hard time if you have a v8 as the recall was primarily for the i6.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'm fairly sure this is a subject of a recall. Check
Yes, check to make sure your car is on the affected recalls. If not, no hurt in trying to convince the SA. lol
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

So I called BMW Canada HQ and they are looking into it, she seemed like a nice gal and I was extremely polite, so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
So I called BMW Canada HQ and they are looking into it, she seemed like a nice gal and I was extremely polite, so we'll see what happens.
I got the same problem please let me know what was the outcome.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

They did not accept it as a recall, I am on my own to fix it. Because I have comfort seats, to replace the passenger seat will cost me $2,800 so I will leave it. Or I will disable the code somehow.

Sigh!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Members

They did not accept it as a recall, I am on my own to fix it. Because I have comfort seats, to replace the passenger seat will cost me $2,800 so I will leave it. Or I will disable the code somehow.

Sigh!
Make sure your battery is fully charged. I have the same warning that pops up whenever the battery gets to ~70% or below.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cjcvette
Make sure your battery is fully charged. I have the same warning that pops up whenever the battery gets to ~70% or below.
I have a battery charger, should I leave it charging on low over night? Or do I have to buy a whole new battery and have it registered?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I have a battery charger, should I leave it charging on low over night? Or do I have to buy a whole new battery and have it registered?

Thanksgrizzles depth chart

How old is the battery? Might be time just to get a new one and have it registered, then have them reset the code.

That quote you got earlier, did they read the code or they just gave you an over the phone quote? Reason I'm saying this is because the error you're getting can actually be due to a variety of things. I thought mine was due to the seat mat and I also wasn't covered under the recall. Turns out it was because I got a new battery and had did not have it registered to the car's ECU/DME/whatever.

If you haven't had it read, I'd take it to an indy and have him read/reset your code. They usually charge 1/2 hour labor.

If you had it read already and IT IS the seat mat sensor, I'd either

a.) Contact BMWNA about this, saying you took it to the dealer, it was the seat mat and your VIN did not match the recall even though it is the "same" issue. Or

b.) Look on eBay for a bypass for the sensor. Not sure how it works, but you will need to visit in indy to reset the light after you hook it up. Or

c.) Just live with it.

Quick Reply: Passenger restraint error on iDrive