DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Oil Filter Housing Gaskets Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I thought you were

Thanks buddy! I look at it as a win-win - either I get my car back and keep it, or I will be forced to get another car, in which case I'll end up with a newer and faster ride with better nav and all. Either way, it is awesome PS also, there's a chance I might hook up the crap out of this engine and end up with a 300hp N52, which would also be awesome

Thanks for this thread, btw - it is very helpful to me, since I've actually been puzzled by this oil residue on my engine for a long time. And not many people know about this heat exchanger+gaskets issue at all, apparently.
vladddd.... i was the one that suggested this issue and look for it...
and u mean 300hp n54 engine?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

only remove the large hose going to the oil filter housing. insert a flathead screwdriver to slightly pull the spring clip out 1/4" then wiggle the hose and pull back. the small hose on the front of the heat exchanger with the screw on clamp you can leave on. i was not able to get my hand all the way through the intake manafold but about 50% through. once the engine cools enough it will be easier.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9417
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9520

you should be able to use either the stubby or regular size.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I got the gaskets, but not sure whether to do it. My indie seems to have taken care of all engine issues, so he's like "if it ain't broke..." - but he's a busy guy, so I see how he'd not want to mess with some silly gaskets for half a day. But I'm thinking to DIY it anyway, if I have time - I'd like to flush the coolant and refill with BMW original coolant anyway. Problem is, I don't have a garage

Anyway, thanks everyone for this thread - VERY helpful. This is the forum I remember and love
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Thanks again, Jay!
Just in case if I drop the gearwrench in the tight spot, I will tie a strong string around it. The parts will be delivered this Friday.

Originally Posted by jay bimma
only remove the large hose going to the oil filter housing. insert a flathead screwdriver to slightly pull the spring clip out 1/4" then wiggle the hose and pull back. the small hose on the front of the heat exchanger with the screw on clamp you can leave on. i was not able to get my hand all the way through the intake manafold but about 50% through. once the engine cools enough it will be easier.

http://www.gearwrenc...s.jsp?part=9417
http://www.gearwrenc...s.jsp?part=9520

you should be able to use either the stubby or regular size.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Good news, V. Hope it will give you trouble free for a long time after that!

I got the gaskets, but not sure whether to do it. My indie seems to have taken care of all engine issues, so he's like "if it ain't broke..." - but he's a busy guy, so I see how he'd not want to mess with some silly gaskets for half a day. But I'm thinking to DIY it anyway, if I have time - I'd like to flush the coolant and refill with BMW original coolant anyway. Problem is, I don't have a garage

Anyway, thanks everyone for this thread - VERY helpful. This is the forum I remember and love
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BIM530I
Good news, V. Hope it will give you trouble free for a long time after that!
Thanks, brother! I'm such a over-reactor with this car, every little thing that goes wrong, I freak
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Members

LOL. You should get a personalized license plate that says : Dblspce.
Anywhere you go, they better give you "DOUBLE SPACE" to park because you probably love your car more than your women.

Thanks, brother! I'm such a over-reactor with this car, every little thing that goes wrong, I freak
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BIM530I
LOL. You should get a personalized license plate that says : Dblspce.
Anywhere you go, they better give you "DOUBLE SPACE" to park because you probably love your car more than your women.
That's a no-brainer! There are billions of women on the planet. Only one car like mine

If my fiance is reading this, I was joking
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM
New Members

Excellent DIY guys! I just did it. Thanks!

One more thing, the tightening torque for the three bolts is 16 Nm.

(The gasket was $22, I drained the coolant but didn't drain the oil filter housing chamber -> when I removed the heat exchanger, a bit of oil went out but I had paper towels/plastic bag under the exchanger/housing so it wasn't a big deal. Just make sure it doesn't go on your belts and/or alternator.)

PS: funny story, when I was putting the parts together I discovered an old fried HAZELNUT between the intake manifold and the oil filter housing -> and I was wondering what the rattling noise was : ) I think I should start a topic on "The weird stuff you found in your engine"
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black 530xi: (6 Speed Manual) -LCI tailight and headlight retrofit -19' Black Miro M6 rims -Black Kidney Grills -Carbon Fiber roundel emblems Partially shadowed emblems Coming soon: Full Mtech Kit rpi exhaust additional subs and amps added to Logic7 H&R lowering springs

This is exactly whats been going on with my car for months now! I have taken it to 3 different indy shops and they all thought they fixed it, and none of them did! Only problem, I have zero experience doing anything to the engine of a car, and am terrified of screwing something up with my car.

I read one of the earlier posts and the guy said his shop quoted him at $300 for parts. Do any of you think a regular mechanics shop would be able to do it for much less/is it worth trying it myself? And how damaging is this to a car?

My alternator belt just slipped off my car, and I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but there's A LOT of oil down there

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing Gaskets Replacement