DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Official USB Retrofit Instructions (6FL) for E60/61

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Melv' post='1038799' date='Oct 23 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi thanks for the info. Indeed my car does have the TCU, Connected Drive, BMW Online etc but they say this unit is the 'Low' version. Its crazy really becasue they say that I have the higher spec car but that means I get the 'Low' version module !! Aparently that module does not have the USB electronics in it and I need to get this other module which will piggy back the existing. Very frustrating as the huge cost of that module does not make it worthwhile !!
Im not 100% but i think they are wrong. The ULF low is fitted to the wheel arch as you said. If you have a TCU you don't have a ULF low and as the PDF you already have the high charge/electronics module. If you have a ULF low you wont have the TCU located in position E. There is no TCU low/high just new features are added on newer units i.e. early ones didnt always have bluetooth (the TCUs on LCI cars are all relatively new terms of features).
Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Members

What is a TCU

I've an LCI with Media pack too, and am interested in getting shot of the CD changer for a USB port - the CDChangers sell for upwards of ?100 on Flebay so if I can make it work then that saving is offset against the purchase price of the retroUSB.

I can't believe that they make a CDChanger which cannot play MP3's...I assumed it would until I tried it and then thought how naff is that?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='1038920' date='Oct 23 2009, 05:43 PM
What is a TCU

I've an LCI with Media pack too, and am interested in getting shot of the CD changer for a USB port - the CDChangers sell for upwards of ?100 on Flebay so if I can make it work then that saving is offset against the purchase price of the retroUSB.

I can't believe that they make a CDChanger which cannot play MP3's...I assumed it would until I tried it and then thought how naff is that?
TCU is the telematics control unit, it does all the bluetooth functions and has the sim built in for BMW assist and BMW online. Depending on the config of you car will depend on if you have a TCU or not, looking at the PDF sheet if you car has option SA 644 Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface then you dont have a TCU I dont think. If it has SA 0633 Bluetooth phone prep + telematics then you will have one. The USB interface doesnt replace the CD changer it is located in the centre arm rest below the cradle holder for the phone in the storage compartment, it will have a vent at the front that is replaced in the retrofit with the USB and audio jack plate. You can see it if you look on the BMW website.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Members

Great info, thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525D 2008 m-sport

I?m not sure but I think you need to have the ULF-high modul for this retrofit. I have SA633 on my car and have TCU but no ULF-high. From the info on www.realoem.com it looks lite this retrofit require the ULF-high module.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95

Information from http://www.e90post.com/forums/ also saying that you need the ULF-high modul. I think that the ULF-high modul has the USB function for this kit.

I hope I?m wrong because the retrofit get quite expensive when you also need to change this module
Old 10-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by haugejan' post='1040181' date='Oct 25 2009, 09:08 PM
I?m not sure but I think you need to have the ULF-high modul for this retrofit. I have SA633 on my car and have TCU but no ULF-high. From the info on www.realoem.com it looks lite this retrofit require the ULF-high module.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95

Information from http://www.e90post.com/forums/ also saying that you need the ULF-high modul. I think that the ULF-high modul has the USB function for this kit.

I hope I?m wrong because the retrofit get quite expensive when you also need to change this module
You might be right. From reading this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.p...=6fl&page=8 it seems the E90 at least uses a ULF high and the TCU in parallel. We need to clarify what the High charging/hands free unit actually is.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='1038944' date='Oct 23 2009, 05:15 PM
TCU is the telematics control unit, it does all the bluetooth functions and has the sim built in for BMW assist and BMW online. Depending on the config of you car will depend on if you have a TCU or not, looking at the PDF sheet if you car has option SA 644 Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface then you dont have a TCU I dont think. If it has SA 0633 Bluetooth phone prep + telematics then you will have one. The USB interface doesnt replace the CD changer it is located in the centre arm rest below the cradle holder for the phone in the storage compartment, it will have a vent at the front that is replaced in the retrofit with the USB and audio jack plate. You can see it if you look on the BMW website.
Take your point but BMW are insistent that I need this extra module. Here's a piccy of what is installed in my car and maybe someone can help work it out for me as I really would rather not , indeed I wont, pay the extra ?550 ish pounds of my son inheritance on an extra part for a USB port if I dont need this extra unit.

Appreciate the help though. Cheers
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Melv' post='1041397' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:41 PM
Take your point but BMW are insistent that I need this extra module. Here's a piccy of what is installed in my car and maybe someone can help work it out for me as I really would rather not , indeed I wont, pay the extra ?550 ish pounds of my son inheritance on an extra part for a USB port if I dont need this extra unit.

Just been out looking at my car and comparing it to the pdf retrofit. Page 6 of the pdf it looks like the High charger is in is the same position as the TCU(my TCU is the same as yours), as ive said earlier. On page 8 though it looks like the high charger is fitted under the wheel well. Ive looked at mine and its not easy to lift up the wheel well cover straight away so ive not seen under it but it looks from the limited access that i have that there might be a wiring loom running under there. So it could be there is an empty space there for a high charger/handsfree unit. I suppose to know for sure someone will have to pull the cover up and have a look.

On a side note if the high charger is that expensive and required the other option is to get a dension gateway 500 which would be cheaper and give ipod interface and USB athough fitted in the glovebox.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by Melv' post='1041397' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:41 PM

Sorry had to reapply the picture wthout the IMEI number !!
Attached Thumbnails Official USB Retrofit Instructions (6FL) for E60/61-dsc01183_safe.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Ok. I am so confused right now.

My father needs an iphone cradle. So how do I know if he should buy it or not. I got lost with all the 6FL/ULF-high modul/TCU part.

My father has a 2008 530i Euro. It has bluetooth and NAV if that helps.

Quick Reply: Official USB Retrofit Instructions (6FL) for E60/61