DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Not another Ipod question.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was a 05/04 build so it's def. not the year that's an issue.

So when you plugged the iPod in what happens on the iDrive screen? if you get the BMW logo on the iPod that means that the interface is properly recognizing the iPod. Have you tried formatting the iPod before putting it in the car? If it was used on other devices before it could be that there is something that happens in the background preventing the iPod from properly communicating. I formatted my iPod before putting it in anyway so I'm not sure if this might resolve your issue but it's worth a shot
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='774471' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:53 AM
mine was a 05/04 build so it's def. not the year that's an issue.

So when you plugged the iPod in what happens on the iDrive screen? if you get the BMW logo on the iPod that means that the interface is properly recognizing the iPod. Have you tried formatting the iPod before putting it in the car? If it was used on other devices before it could be that there is something that happens in the background preventing the iPod from properly communicating. I formatted my iPod before putting it in anyway so I'm not sure if this might resolve your issue but it's worth a shot

Hmm, I could try that. You do mean to clean out the entire Ipod, right? That means I will loose 30Gb of music....

I tried two Ipod's. My 30Gb classic, and the 4th gen Nano 8Gb of my GF. Both show the BMW logo on the screen, but I can't select cd 1 - 6 on my I-drive screen.

Could it be that I have to activate the Aux input, or shouldn't that have any effect? Otherwise, do I have to get a full update, or can they just 'add' Ipod? I had a full update about 6 months ago.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Contributors

AUX wouldn't have anything to do with it.

There is no such thing as an iPod coding. I've talked to my tech about this many times.. they pass it off as an iPod programming but all they do is enable mp3 and CDC if it's not enabled already.

Try doing a full format of the iPod. It's explained if you search for format iPod on google. Most of the music i assume is backed up anyway right? so it shouldn't be a big deal to throw it back on there afterwards. I'd just put in 1 song and see how it works then if it does throw all the tunes back on.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='774473' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:03 PM
AUX wouldn't have anything to do with it.

There is no such thing as an iPod coding. I've talked to my tech about this many times.. they pass it off as an iPod programming but all they do is enable mp3 and CDC if it's not enabled already.

Try doing a full format of the iPod. It's explained if you search for format iPod on google. Most of the music i assume is backed up anyway right? so it shouldn't be a big deal to throw it back on there afterwards. I'd just put in 1 song and see how it works then if it does throw all the tunes back on.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna try this in when I get home from work.
It would be a lot easier to clean out my GF Ipod, except that I hate sleeping on the couch

There's just some thing that keep we wondering:

1.) I read on the forum that a Dension Gateway 500 won't display text in combination with a M-ASK. After you let de dealer enable Ipod, the M-ASK will show text. Note: the Dension replaces the changer and the info I read clearly says 'Ipod enable'.

2.) It puzzles me that both Ipods don't work.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Contributors

hehe sleeping on the couch does suck!

1. iPod enable = mp3 retrofit and CDC enable. BMW just calls it different things and probably charges more for iPod enable since the mp3 enable is free with warranty. However, they still charge you for iPod enable even though it's the same exact thing
2. Well it could be that both iPods have been used on the devices which is very likely and therefore have the same symptoms. Either way, try it out and let us know what the result is.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='774481' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:17 PM
hehe sleeping on the couch does suck!

1. iPod enable = mp3 retrofit and CDC enable. BMW just calls it different things and probably charges more for iPod enable since the mp3 enable is free with warranty. However, they still charge you for iPod enable even though it's the same exact thing
2. Well it could be that both iPods have been used on the devices which is very likely and therefore have the same symptoms.

You could be right. I used both Ipod's in other cars with the 6FL option. One time in a stealers subtitute care (although it was a nice 130i...), and one time in a 320d Touring.
The Ipods worked on both cars (with 6FL / US, so I'm little suprised that they don't work on the Ipod interface.

Is there any other possibility? I found a thread of someone with the same set-up as I have, and he had the same problems. He went to the stealer dealer and they charged him big time, but it did work (in the end...).

I'll try to find that post!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Shulroq, I was talking about this post:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry740465
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Contributors

only way to find out is to try lol
Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

I was affraid you're gonna say that......

Just one more question. Doed the whole car needs to be reprogrammed (I'm gonna try to clean the Ipod first), or can the dealer just try to 'add' the Ipod (or changer, although this already works).
Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Contributors

one goes hand in hand with the other... when they do the mp3 programming or CDC enable the whole car gets upgraded. I guess they don't have the option to just code one specific module but rather everything gets updated and then the proper options are enabled along the way. At least that is what I have been told.

Quick Reply: Not another Ipod question.......