DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Not another Ipod question.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Ok, you guys must be getting tired of all the Ipod interface questions, but I really cannot figure out why it's not working.

Some facts first:
- M-ASK (sat nav business)
- CD-changer
- Single cd-player plays MP3
- Built date Jan-2005

Plugged in the interface, tried 2 different Ipods (30Gb, and 8Gb), but both didn't work. The Ipod screen shows the BMW logo and 'disconnect allowed'.

Did I do something wrong? My car has had a software update about 6 months ago, so that would be ok, right?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i. Built 5/2005. Bought by me 7/2008. Olivin Green, beige interior; 6MT; sport package; cold weather package; premium sound package; xenon lights; PDC; rear shades.
Model Year: 2006

I have pretty much the same car/software/build date as you. All I can say is: bring it to the dealer and bring your checkbook. The techs will likely be just as befuddled and rack up hundreds of dollars in service hours while they program and reprogram your car by trial and error. At least that's what it took to get mine working. My $250 iPod adapter took an additional $700 just to get it to work. A marvel of modern over-engineering.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by DrumGuruEC' post='773374' date='Jan 21 2009, 03:06 PM
I have pretty much the same car/software/build date as you. All I can say is: bring it to the dealer and bring your checkbook. The techs will likely be just as befuddled and rack up hundreds of dollars in service hours while they program and reprogram your car by trial and error. At least that's what it took to get mine working. My $250 iPod adapter took an additional $700 just to get it to work. A marvel of modern over-engineering.
OMG . That's not the answer I was hoping to get!
I did all the reading on this forum, and I assumed that it was plug-and-play. Do you know what the problem was with your car?

Does anyone else got a more cheerful answer? Please?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Members

Yep! I can confirm that it will cost, but, speak to the dealer first.
JFI I do not have (inbuilt) nav of any sort and no CD changer fitted. I took the car to the dealer with a borrowed CD changer and asked them to just 'slave' it in to allow the recode and also asked for the inbuilt CD player to recoded to accept mp3 CD's. So far so good! thinking all I need is the ipod interface....wrong oh very wrong!!
I connected up the interface unit and it all springs into life as does yours, however still no joy on the 'bord monitor'and it appears (after calling the dealer) that it needs another recode to enable the interface to work.
Any way I'm due an oil/filter change so I intend to negotiate a price for both together. None of this "That'll be one hours labour for the oil change and and one hours labour for the coding". I'll insist they work on both jobs together!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i. Built 5/2005. Bought by me 7/2008. Olivin Green, beige interior; 6MT; sport package; cold weather package; premium sound package; xenon lights; PDC; rear shades.
Model Year: 2006

They gave me some song and dance about how they first needed to upgrade the car's software, but before they could do that they had to remove my ipod interface, put my CD changer back in, reprogram the car, then reinstall the interface and program it. What amazes and annoys me the most is that the techs at the dealer seemed to have to "figure it out" by trial and error. Haven't they installed enough ipod interfaces in these cars to know exactly in what sequence these things need to be installed and programmed?!?! These dealers charge exorbitant rates, claiming to be the "experts". I expect them to know more about these cars than I do. Apparently they have to figure it out as they go just like the rest of us... all at my expense!

-end of rant-

E
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by LW78' post='773415' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:15 AM
OMG . That's not the answer I was hoping to get!
I did all the reading on this forum, and I assumed that it was plug-and-play. Do you know what the problem was with your car?

Does anyone else got a more cheerful answer? Please?
Sorry to say, but its not plug and play. Just go 2 the dealer and have them program you with the Ipod integration kit and then you'll be set.

I say its 1 1/2 hour of labor charge. Good luck man.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for all you advice, guys! Just talked to my dealer, but they're quoting me ? 250,-, but that's including the language change (it's now in English, and they will upgrade it to Dutch). I think that's far too much, and I'm not gonna pay such an amount, when it's only <1/2 hrs. work. My car had an update only 6 months ago, and I only need the Ipod integrated!

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='773891' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:12 PM
Sorry to say, but its not plug and play. Just go 2 the dealer and have them program you with the Ipod integration kit and then you'll be set.

I say its 1 1/2 hour of labor charge. Good luck man.
Too bad that I didn't know that before. I read on the forum that several forum members 'plug-and-played', because they had MP3 and cd-changer. Is it because I have a M-ASK i.o. CCC?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Was reading some more on this forum.
Can anybody confirm that the dealer only has to activate the Aux-function on my car? I really don't want to have a new Progman installed on my car (activating the Aux will be a lot easier, right?)
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Contributors

Guys.. It is plug n play. this has been discussed a million times chances are that the dealer messed up some programming along the way somewhere. if mp3 works and you have the CDC enabled it will work. it worked for myself and numerous others.
Fact is that a lot of dealers aren't too familiar with the process and although they think they are doing the proper coding are not, which happened to myself.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='774462' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:24 AM
Guys.. It is plug n play. this has been discussed a million times chances are that the dealer messed up some programming along the way somewhere. if mp3 works and you have the CDC enabled it will work. it worked for myself and numerous others.
Fact is that a lot of dealers aren't too familiar with the process and although they think they are doing the proper coding are not, which happened to myself.

Hi Schulrog,

I did read all info on the forum (and most of your posts!).
My car isn't programmed yet. It has a cd-changer and the single cd/dvd-player plays MP3's. I plugged in the Ipod interface, but it won't work.
My car is Jan-2005 built (according to BMW-ASAP).

Quick Reply: Not another Ipod question.......