DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Need Help from Someone with access to TIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

Can someone with access to TIS look up any docs that might have to do with a install of Sirus, trying to see what is involved with a install at the dealer...

Thanks,

Todd
Old 11-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Members

Can anyone help...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I couldn't quickly find one specific document on the intall of Sirius. Suffice it to say that aside from installing the hardware unit (mounts in the trunk in the left rear wheel area) there is programming/coding that has to be done to make everything work. Unfortunately, it's not a DIY installation.

Maybe Hobi will have better luck finding something concrete on TIS...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributors

The hardware install is fairly simple, assuming you have the pre-wire. The hard part was figuring out exactly how to place the bracket. Once it's in, it makes sense.

But, as Rudy said, the dealer has to reprogram the car to recognize teh sat hardware, and you're likely not going to save any $$ by installing the receiver.

I opted to let the dealer do it, since it was a flat fee regardless, and then, they're responsible. It would have been easy to kink a fiber cable at the connection of the receiver, for instance.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Members

What I am trying to find out is why the dealer tells me it can't be installed without Sat Prep. I am looking to see what type of wiring is needed and if it is possible to pull those connections from somewhere else...
Old 11-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Ahah. There is a wiring harness that consists of input cables for the sound system/computer/antenna and there's a power cable. My understanding is that short of factory prep, there's no easy way to re-wire the car for antenna connectivity to the receiver. So, aftermarket sat radio requires the addition of a separate satellite antenna - called a hockey puck - on the trunk lid. I suppose it's just too hard to retrofit the antenna connectivity.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Contributors

That sounds about right. Even knowing that though, I have SAT prep, and as of 2 weeks ago am still not able to get the SAT because I have NAV. I'm sure it will come out eventually.

James
Old 11-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by John W' date='Nov 15 2004, 03:39 PM
Ahah.? There is a wiring harness that consists of input cables for the sound system/computer/antenna and there's a power cable.? My understanding is that short of factory prep, there's no easy way to re-wire the car for antenna connectivity to the receiver.? So, aftermarket sat radio requires the addition of a separate satellite antenna - called a hockey puck - on the trunk lid.? I suppose it's just too hard to retrofit the antenna connectivity.
[snapback]56519[/snapback]
What if he is willing to live with the hockey puck on the trunk, can Sirius still be integrated w/ the iDrive?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Not sure. I've seen other posts that say no. That the non-factory Sirius is really a 3rd party unit that's basically connected via FM modulator. Sorry, that's all I know.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Niether do I. I think it is not just an antenna issue, but some fiber optic cabling connecting the unit in the trunk to the iDrive. If the only issue is using the antenna in the shark fin, but all other connections are basically in place, maybe it can be done. Assuming no NAV of course...

Quick Reply: Need Help from Someone with access to TIS