DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Need help installing my black kidney grills.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help me with pictures on how to remove my oem frills and installing my new ones? I have tried with no success. Lol
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I removed the screws to the top of the bumper and you can pull the top bumper area out a little to gain better access to the back side of the grills. There are clips and you have to disengage them. Once you do one clip, pull out on the grill slightly and keep this pressure as you work around the inside. Look to see which ones are in a row that you can get to the most, because as you work around eventually it will come out even though a couple may still be engaged. Look at your new grill and the clips are the same type, or at least should be...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I removed the screws to the top of the bumper and you can pull the top bumper area out a little to gain better access to the back side of the grills. There are clips and you have to disengage them. Once you do one clip, pull out on the grill slightly and keep this pressure as you work around the inside. Look to see which ones are in a row that you can get to the most, because as you work around eventually it will come out even though a couple may still be engaged. Look at your new grill and the clips are the same type, or at least should be...
+1000, just a bit of advice: The screws Tony is referring to are located under the rubber seal directly on top of the bumper and before the radiator. This seal just pulls up with pressure, no need to force it. Then remove the screws underneath and you're good.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1000, just a bit of advice: The screws Tony is referring to are located under the rubber seal directly on top of the bumper and before the radiator. This seal just pulls up with pressure, no need to force it. Then remove the screws underneath and you're good.
Thanks Pj, sometimes you just leave out the obvious...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Thanks Pj, sometimes you just leave out the obvious...
No worries, happens to the best of us Bud.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Members

Thanks guys. I guess it looked easier than what it really was. And thanks for the tip of which screws and where they are at.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jsanjuan32
Thanks guys. I guess it looked easier than what it really was. And thanks for the tip of which screws and where they are at.
Trust me Bro, it is one of the easiest mods out there. Take your time, don't force anything and you'll get it done quicker than you think. You will need a torx bit for the screws, but you need them to work on our cars anyway (I'd recommend buying a set of Torx bits/drivers to anyone who has one of our cars).
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

If you have pre-LCI with stock bumper, then try removing the middle lower grille on the front bumper between the 2 fogs. Once removed, you can reach in the bottom tabs from below.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Trust me Bro, it is one of the easiest mods out there. Take your time, don't force anything and you'll get it done quicker than you think. You will need a torx bit for the screws, but you need them to work on our cars anyway (I'd recommend buying a set of Torx bits/drivers to anyone who has one of our cars).
Yea I already bought the set of torx screw bits. I encountered that when removing the headlights.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by theXman
If you have pre-LCI with stock bumper, then try removing the middle lower grille on the front bumper between the 2 fogs. Once removed, you can reach in the bottom tabs from below.
Yea it's pre LCI. I might try that first. Sounds easier.

Quick Reply: Need help installing my black kidney grills.