DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

My new Dension Gateway 500S BT just arrived! Need som help! (w

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535D LCI Hybrid CPM Performance Stage 3
Model Year: 2007
Thumbs down

Hi!

First post here, hopefully you can help me out.

I've just got my new GW500. Its the new version with built in Bluetooth and Dual FOT
http://www.dension.com/news/gateway500s-bt

It's a really nice unit and looks much better than the old one.

First of i will start of with car spec.

The car is a BMW E61 530D MY2005
M-ASK Business Navigation with the smaller screen.
It has Cd-changer and can play MP3 from DVD or CDR in the center console but not in the CD-Changer.

I hooked everything up as it should be with the Dension in the same place as the CDC were before and the CDC in the Densions dedicated CD-changer port.
Like this:

First try nothing worked at all just as a expected... Time for some NCS Expert magic! :laugh:

I started out with getting the Dension work properly without Bluetooth.

In the VO i removed $672 and added +IPOD then coded it to the CAPPL and MASK (what i read here on the forum i can't have them both or it will result in a coding error, right?)

Now i got full functionality playing MP3s from the Dension via USB, iPhone etc. Track names showing up etc. although I've got some small but really irritating problems.

1. When looking at "Now Playing" 50% of the times no text is showing up. It just shows a blank page. With some fiddling around back and forth i just shows up as it should be. Very annoying!

2. The CD-Changer menu structure shows "MP3 1" is this normal, the other ones are dimmed out?

3. When playing MP3s from a USB-Memory while mounting my iPhone in the connected cradle the music stops and turns over to FM-radio instead of directly playing music from the iPhone. I then have to go to entertainment menu and choose "MP3 1" to start playing from the iPhone. In the reverse order it works ok.

4. If deactivating the Dension via the button on the connector dock the CDC does not work, Why? I guess it is because i removed $672 from the VO but if i cant have booth $672 and +IPOD how on earth does the CDC supposed to work?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 535D LCI Hybrid CPM Performance Stage 3
Model Year: 2007

5. Time for the frickin' Bluetooth. In the MASK i changed the setting as below:

BLUETOOTH_NODES_MASK
* profil_2

PHONE_PROF
* nicht_aktiv

PHONE_MULF
* aktiv

I've also read here that i should make changes in the TCU_MOST but since my car doesn't have this module it is not possible? I have no TCU in my VO.

I can now pair the phone and look in phone book, it also shows incoming calls etc.
Visually everything works except the signal strength meter.

The big problem is that i get NO SOUND at all in either direction when making or receiving calls

Below is some pictures from the car and the densions phone menus.

Car BT settings:

Dension settings:

Phone Menu:

Worth knowing is when i bought the car it had a NOKIA Bluetooth carkit installed that is now disconnected.
The sound from the Nokia were in the cars speakers and volume could be adjusted from the cars volume control. Can this have something to do with my problem? Since the mic is connected directly to the dension and the sound comes from the dension i don't think that is the problem?

Please post you ideas! :worthy2:
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

I've just fitted the same unit to my car.

530d 2006 with CDC, MP3, CCC (8.8" Screen) and Factory Bluetooth.

First i disconnected the battery and wired in the Gateway the same way you have to retain the CDC. Then set the dip switches to BMW but flicked off No. 6 to disable the bluetooth. put the gateway into bypass reconnected the battery and checked that the car still worked, everything was fine.

Disconnect the battery and changed the gateway to active, battery on and tested. The Ipod works and Aux in, haven't tried the USB yet but if the rest work so should the USB.

Now to the bluetooth. I completely forgot about the Battery as im at work and have customer buzzing around me.( I'm sure it will be back at bmw in a few weeks for a new BCU and coding and a big bill )

Anyway, So I unplugged the MOST from the TCU in the boot (Trunk) and used the couplink to join the 2 end together, I did leave the main plug with the wiring loom attached to the TCU. Then set the dip on the gateway to Bluetooth (No.6 to on), then discovered the connected battery so pulled the power to reset and reconnected.

In the setting on the gateway you must enable Bluetooth Audio for streaming.

Tested the phone and i can make call fine, view the phone book, stream audio from my phone (motorola Razr Android 4.0).

I have noticed that the Bluetooth dosen't disconnect straigth away like the Factory did, It takes a few minute and sometime not until the car sleeps. I will monitor this.

I do have an error on the iDrive, It's the SOS function and High battery discharge. I was exspecting these. It took a few hours to do as i was at work serving customer between working on the car, I'm hoping this is the high battery warning and not the BCU again. The SOS i guess is due to it still been connected to the car, I will test it unplugged later but want to make sure that there are no other faults with the car first.

I'll update with USB operation and bluetooth disconnect issue.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

Update... I've reconnected the Factory Bluetooth and disabled the GW Phone. Now I have no errors, the phone work with the car and disconnect as it should. I can also still connect to the GW via Bluetooth and stream music but not the phone, It's one or the other not both together but i know that would be the case.

One thing is when the car sleep the Ipod screen seem to stay on. I'll leave it half hour and check it again to make sure it is swicthing off.

I've charged the battery and now there is no "High battery drain" error, Not sure if it was the fact that it went fall duing the install and testing or if it's the BCU up S**ts creck, I'll find out in a few days.

I like the new GW it's simple to use and also faster than the CD player.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by ChrizLoud
In the VO i removed $672 and added +IPOD then coded it to the CAPPL and MASK (what i read here on the forum i can't have them both or it will result in a coding error, right?)

Now i got full functionality playing MP3s from the Dension via USB, iPhone etc. Track names showing up etc. although I've got some small but really irritating problems.

1. When looking at "Now Playing" 50% of the times no text is showing up. It just shows a blank page. With some fiddling around back and forth it just shows up as it should be.

4. If deactivating the Dension via the button on the connector dock the CDC does not work, Why? I guess it is because i removed $672 from the VO but if i cant have booth $672 and +IPOD how on earth does the CDC supposed to work?
I am pretty sure that the cd-changer will not work in a car with M-ASK because, as you have already noted, you have removed the cd-changer from the VO. In a car with the CCC the cd-changer is not removed so I think it is possible to have both.

I wonder if the track names taking a long time to show up is just a function of the car trying to read the contents of the iPod or USB stick? The car doesn't have a dual core processor after all.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d e60 also 320i e36 convertiable 320td e46 compact

Do you guys know if this unit supports AVR ?