DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

m5 seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d se full sport spec inc suspension first retro fitted in uk.

Hi guys must say great site loads of info i`ve bought m5 seats & door cards for my 03 530se put the passengers seat in but no joy won`t work at all, the plug fits but is very slightly different inside however when i pulled the front door card off i broke a connection had to order a door loom it came with extra plugs so i connected it up and to my surprise the m5 door cards extras (small lights etc) now work! mint. i was thinking maybe i could do the same with the seat harness any info guys? thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front seats of the E60 are not exactly plug & play! Electric seats could be standard (with or without memory), comfort or sport. These three types again could be with or without heating, climatization as well as active seats. What controls the seat is an electric module (control) unit located under the seat, both right and left seat has the same part number. This is one side of the story, the second is the restraint system (air bag ..etc.) some cars have one pretensioner others may have two.

Actually I am in the process of upgrading from standard to comfort sets. I gathered a lot of information about this operation and I must admit that I got extremely good help from a colleague in this forum (nicke60gre), he did opened the door for me to understand this issue. Please see this link http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=22107&hl= .

Back to your M5 seats, in order to help you I need to know the following data from your car:
Your BMW VIN (last 7 letters in car chassis number)
Part number of your original seat module
Are both original seats electric with memory?
Do you have one or 2 pretensioners?
Do you have seat heating or climatization?

Also I need to know the details of M5 seats:
Do they have one or two pretensioner?
Do they have seat heating or climatization?
What is the part number of seat module fitted to these seats?

Upon receiving these data I will be able to give you some guide lines. One thing you should know about the seat module, these are unique for every car as once it is coded to a new car it will work only for this car. This means that if you fit the new seats you may not be able to perform software upgrade as the system will not recognize the M5 seat module. Solution could be either to connect old modules every time you perform software upgrade at a BMW dealer, alternatively you may get 2 new modules suitable for the M5 seats and have them retrofitted (coded) to your car. A final word regarding seat module is that mosule of standard seat is totally different from that of M5 module.

Looking forward to hear from you.