DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Low beam flickering on and off

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger side low beam is on and off intermittently when the headlights are on. It seems to go on for a little bit when I first put the headlights on, and then goes out after a little while, then sometimes flickers on and off, other times just stays off until the end of the journey or until I switch lights off and on again.

Sometimes I'll get an iDrive error stating "right low beam failure."

I don't think it's the bulb or whatever...it seems like a loose connection or something.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago during my vacation in L.A. As soon as I got back home I bought a bulb (OEM - phillips D2S) at EBAY for $31 bucks shipped, replaced the busted bulb (passenger side) and now its working fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

My guess your bulb has reached the end of its expected life. Change the sucker and you should be fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vaca' post='947806' date='Jul 20 2009, 04:39 PM
My passenger side low beam is on and off intermittently when the headlights are on. It seems to go on for a little bit when I first put the headlights on, and then goes out after a little while, then sometimes flickers on and off, other times just stays off until the end of the journey or until I switch lights off and on again.
Sometimes I'll get an iDrive error stating "right low beam failure."
I don't think it's the bulb or whatever...it seems like a loose connection or something.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance
YUP - sounds like a bulb failure about to happen but do check your connections 1st to avoid replacing a good bulb. I'd also pull the HID to be sure, if you have to buy one, that you get the correct bulb number ... it's probably a D2S.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='947821' date='Jul 20 2009, 04:50 PM
YUP - sounds like a bulb failure about to happen but do check your connections 1st to avoid replacing a good bulb. I'd also pull the HID to be sure, if you have to buy one, that you get the correct bulb number ... it's probably a D2S.
Thanks for the quick response...could it really be the bulb if it on sometimes...like with a regular light, once it goes, it just goes out forever...do the HID lights go out gradually?

Als, what do youmean when you wrote pull the HID?

Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

This should guide you on how to replace the bulb yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
REPLACING_BMW_HEADLIGHT_HID.pdf (825.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Thirdy' post='947814' date='Jul 20 2009, 04:45 PM
same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago during my vacation in L.A. As soon as I got back home I bought a bulb (OEM - phillips D2S) at EBAY for $31 bucks shipped, replaced the busted bulb (passenger side) and now its working fine.
When your bulb went out...did it go out all of a sudden and then dead or did it go on and off intermittentaly for a while first?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Members

In my case, my right headlight flickered for a while whenever I turn on my headlights. Then after a while it just didn't turn on.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

most likely, it's the bulb. I think it's definitely the bulb since it happened to my mercedes before. The ground was burnt on the bulb!!! So it's time to upgrade it!! Give me a call at my number in my signature. You have to check if u have D1S or D2S. Most likely, u have a D2S and they are $80. Let's upgrade to 6000K!!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vaca' post='947832' date='Jul 20 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the quick response...could it really be the bulb if it on sometimes...like with a regular light, once it goes, it just goes out forever...do the HID lights go out gradually?

Als, what do youmean when you wrote pull the HID?

Thanks again.
Bulbs can fail instantly or not. In conventional bulb types the filaments can sometimes break but have intermittent contact causing flickering. Don't know about the internal construction of HID lamps. Pull the HID = remove bulb. You already have the instructions for that in another helpful post. The replacements are expensive and if you research the topic you will notice that upon initial replacement you may discover some variations in lamp color. However, it is not necessary to replace the lamps in pairs.

That said, [ Just a tip from a former road warrior! ] if one has gone out, you might find the other will die soon too... so what I do when replacing lamps is replace in pairs and reserve the remaining (old) good one as a spare. That way, if one dies again I won't have to wander around one-eyed until I buy a replacement.

Quick Reply: Low beam flickering on and off