DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Key remote not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

My mpg was a bit out so I adjusted it earlier but in the process I managed to reset the menu 21 which I think is for reset of software/trip info.

Car opens with the key and starts and drives fine but the alarm goes off until the key is in the ignition!

Tried a search but is it just me or is the search facility playing up cos I can't search for anything!

Was thinking about buying a 2nd key so if its a dealer reset I need I may as well bite the bullet and get it sorted and buy a key.

Was hoping I could syncronise it myself somehow??
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny because I also have not seen ANY post on how to program the key remote. You would think someone would have figured that out by now or the information would have leaked.

I recently bought a new key from the dealer and after I paid at the parts department I went outside and the key would not function as a remote. I went back inside and asked the parts guy, he told me to wait inside, he went to my car, came back 2 minutes later and it worked flawlessly. I am thinking you are on to something though. Although you had the unfortunate situation happen where your car seems to have forgotten your key, somehow the systems you accessed seem to tie in with the whole 'learning' process.

But contributing to your question, I am sure the local dealership will program it for you. Just walk in like you have been there before, tell them they sold you the key and it stopped working.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Nevermind, I'm not thinking clearly, there are a lot of write ups if you google 'bmw key programming' NOT 'e60 key programming' like I have been doing.

Try this, seems plausible.

Link to another post with instructions: http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8043
1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.
If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Members

Got a new key from the dealer and one of the tech's went out to sync it with the car and failed! Said there must be another problem with the car and I'd need to book it in. All he did was turn the key and open and shut the door and then press the buttons.

I took the key off him and said I'd call later (I wanted to try it myself first). Got in, turned key to position 1, took key out, pressed and held unlock whilst pressing unlock 3 times and it worked.

Either he was clueless or they are trying to get cars booked in for no good reason to fleece owners out of cash thinking they don't know better. I'd imagine they'd have charged me and said 'yes sir there was a fault but we sorted it.....?100 please!

I then put the other key in and got it working too. So I'm happy now I have 2 working keys. Result!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Contributors

Good news, I was not able to verify this information, so FINALLY we know how to program an E60 key. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Members

Ok now I'm confused!!!

Both my keys were working fine for the last couple of days but now neither works!! I've tried resetting them the same way that I did at the dealers and nothing is happening.

I was thinking maybe the keys have no signal as they are not being charged up in the ignition...but why would the key that I initially had work straight after I got the new one working??

Is it possibly a remote sensor problem? Where is the sensor located, anyone know?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Members

Wondering if this is the problem

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=alarm+fuse
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Members

Local dealer kindly looked at the car for free and diagnosed the Aerial Diversity Module under the roof spoiler.

I've emailed BMW customer service to ask for good will as its a design fault and I feel the earlier cars should have been recalled. No chance they'll offer anything but you never know!

For info is ?150 inc vat and does NOT require initialising to the car so can be completely DIY fitted.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
New Members

Hey everybody

Help please! I've ordered a key from the BMW dealer but when I went to pick it up, it all went wrong. First the guy at the Spares desk told me it needed synching but he couldn't do it as he was manning the desk alone, so could I go see someone at the Service desk. I did that - the guy at the Service desk told me I should be able to just drive off with the spare key. I coulnd't, so I came back in and told him - big sign on the dashboard with a key and a line across it, nothing happening and the car doesn't like the key. He said then that I must have reached the maximum number of keys allowed for the car, and that I needed to book the car in on a separate date so that they could access the diagnostic system and enable the key - of course, for the moderate cost of £85 (+VAT?).

So I looked it up on the internet and nowhere does it say that I should be able to drive off with the key. Of course I tried the procedure described at the top of the thread but nothing happened (tho' it did confirm that the spare key shouldn't just work without some kind of synching action). I'm thinking the guy at the Service desk either didn't know what he was talking about/coulnd't be bothered, or he's trying to swindle me out of my hard-earned cash!

Either way, I'd appreciate a second (third, fourth etc.) opinion from somebody more experienced than me before I cave in!

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Ivanelli
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Ivanelli
Hey everybody

Help please! I've ordered a key from the BMW dealer but when I went to pick it up, it all went wrong. First the guy at the Spares desk told me it needed synching but he couldn't do it as he was manning the desk alone, so could I go see someone at the Service desk. I did that - the guy at the Service desk told me I should be able to just drive off with the spare key. I coulnd't, so I came back in and told him - big sign on the dashboard with a key and a line across it, nothing happening and the car doesn't like the key. He said then that I must have reached the maximum number of keys allowed for the car, and that I needed to book the car in on a separate date so that they could access the diagnostic system and enable the key - of course, for the moderate cost of £85 (+VAT?).

So I looked it up on the internet and nowhere does it say that I should be able to drive off with the key. Of course I tried the procedure described at the top of the thread but nothing happened (tho' it did confirm that the spare key shouldn't just work without some kind of synching action). I'm thinking the guy at the Service desk either didn't know what he was talking about/coulnd't be bothered, or he's trying to swindle me out of my hard-earned cash!

Either way, I'd appreciate a second (third, fourth etc.) opinion from somebody more experienced than me before I cave in!

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Ivanelli
Normally you would be able to drive off with the new key. What he is saying is plausible but unfortunately no way to know unless you hookup the car. I got a new key before and all I had to do was hold the key in the slot for a few seconds then the car accepted it.

The CAS is programmed for 10 keys, each time you order a new key one of the slots is used, after all ten are used, you will have to replace your CAS. However, even if all slots are not used up, the slot for the new key you just got could have been disabled, in that case the new key will not work until that number is enabled. For instance, on my car only key number 4 will work all other keys are disabled. You will have to hookup the car to read the key you have to see what number it is and then see if that number is enabled or not.

Quick Reply: Key remote not working