DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Ipod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='500009' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:00 AM
Hi ,

To all those who want to install the ipod retrofit , just wanted to tell you all who have a changer , it is a plug and play and very easy to install it took only 15 mins to do it , do not listened to dealer who said need to reprogram , well of course your car must have at least CIP 22 above.

You're partially correct. You can in fact replace the changer with the iPod kit without re-programming the car. It will work. That's precisely what I did.

But, if you want to upgrade CIP at some future point the dealer will have trouble. That's what happend to me. I took my car in about 9 months after I installed the iPod adapter and asked to have my CIP upgraded. The dealer had all kinds of problems. Apparently when the dealer does a CIP updgrade the dealer's computer needs to know what components are in the car. The dealer's computer identifies the VIN and from that checks the BMW database for the specific build components of the car and then proceeds with the CIP download and installation.

Because I didn't have the dealer install the iPod, the BMW database for my car was never changed. So, when the dealer attempted to install the upgraded CIP, the dealer's computer thought the car still had the changer in it. I saw the error codes from the dealer - the install bombed out because it "saw" both the changer and iPod retrofit. Once the dealer realized the iPod retrofit had been installed, he had to contact BMW and they downloaded to him updated build sheet information for the car. He installed that information then proceeded successfully with the CIP installation.

Apparently when the dealer does the iPod install, the first thing they do is modify the car's build sheet in the computer. They then install the iPod and re-program the car.

So, you're right in one respect. You can DIY the iPod retrofit and it will work. I drove around for 9 months with no problems.