DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Interesting iPhone/iPd/music integration - need your help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Actually nope ... when you hookup Dension Gateway 500 you have no control on the iPod/iPhone anymore all the control goes to iDrive so you only have single volume on the car stereo... as all control is on the iDrive the iPod screen simply display the Dension logo.

Here's what my iPod screen look like:
Interesting iPhone/iPd/music integration - need your help-img_0850.jpg

You want the output from the iPod w/o amp like line-in/out otherwise the iDrive will amplify more distortion ... try to play an external CD player via AUX and compare the sound quality with playing the very same CD on the dash as the AUX have signal suppressor to protect the circuit ... Anyway it's your project so if you rather have it that way & happy with the result go for it ...

Have fun on re-wiring the Apple plug with the Yamaha plug ... Right now I'm very happy with my Gateway 500 ...

Originally Posted by DominikB
Well, it's never digital on the iPod/iPhone. It's impossible.

The dock connector pushes analog left+right audio in 2 pins (wires). The same as stereo headphone jack, just different connector. Actually the headphone jack on your iPhone/iPod is a higher quality output, because it has a small amplifier built in, whereas the dock connetor has not.

And so there are always 2 volume controls when using iPod or iPhone, and the music is always analog, no matter if you push the audio from its 30 pin dock connetor or headphone jack, no matter if you use Gateway 500 or just the simplest Aux-in.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, you're right.

I've done some more research. The dock connector audio line out is better, no amplifier, no distortion, no double volume control. Cool. But still, don't forget it IS an analog connection. iPhone/iPod does not support digital audio out. It's just better to use the dock connector and preferably connect it directly to iDrive, just as Gateway 500 does.

So Gateway 500 is a great solution actually. I'd happily go for it again, but decided that a wireless solution would be better for me this time. I've found a way how to wire it all together, so I'll post the result later when all components arrive.

(I believe it's possible to connect the Yamaha no-compression WiFi kit to Gatway 500 too, making it an ultimate and convenient high quality wireless solution with charging. So my results could help more people.)
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Members

Can the Dension gateway 500 work with the installed CD changer , that that i still can store upto 6 disc's as well as ipod, Aux , USB and video etc
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yes, check their website on how to daisy chain the CD Changer ... BUT you can not use GW500 & the CD Changer at the same time as their use is exclusive to each other since iDrive use the same control for both ... there's a switch in the GW500 control box that you need to flick back-'n-forth between use of either GW500 & CD Changer (may also require power cycle) while iDrive still uses CD1 ... CD3 ... CD6.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Members

fair enough
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GhostWorks
fair enough
I tried the Kensington Liquid Aux Bluetooth and the sound quality sucks. You will be happy to go back to wires.

I now just use the factory add-on (installed it myself but had to pay 50 bucks to enable the CD changer functionality) iPod adapter in the glovebox, using an old 30GB iPod Photo I leave in there permanently.

And then I use this Spec Dock for streaming radio and navigation from my iPhone 4: https://5series.net/forums/topic/822...dock-installed .