DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Inspection reset on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I have a 2005 530 and need to know if I can reset the inspection notice on the idrive.
I searched but could not find any information. Please advise
Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nonames123
Hi - I have a 2005 530 and need to know if I can reset the inspection notice on the idrive.
I searched but could not find any information. Please advise
Thanks
You can re-set them by using the trip mileage button to the left of the speedometer.

Put key in ignition.
Press start button once till dash lights on
Hold trip mileage button down until a warning triangle appears on the dash.
Release button and immeditely press and hold button again until you get the service menu appear on the dash.(NB.you will get German text if you hold the button down too long when the warning triangl first appears).

You can now scroll through the various service re-set options by pressing the button until you find the one you want to re-set.
To re-set, hold the button down.

Job done. Once you get used to it, it's a 20 second job and cheaper than £25+vat for a dealer to do exactly the same.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 2004 525d SE (auto), Mystic Blue with Beige Dakota Leather & 19" Star Spoke Alloys.

Originally Posted by Steve J
You can re-set them by using the trip mileage button to the left of the speedometer.

Put key in ignition.
Press start button once till dash lights on
Hold trip mileage button down until a warning triangle appears on the dash.
Release button and immeditely press and hold button again until you get the service menu appear on the dash.(NB.you will get German text if you hold the button down too long when the warning triangl first appears).

You can now scroll through the various service re-set options by pressing the button until you find the one you want to re-set.
To re-set, hold the button down.

Job done. Once you get used to it, it's a 20 second job and cheaper than £25+vat for a dealer to do exactly the same.

I have previously used this method to reset the Microfilter service message, however my car has recently come back from a non-BMW garage where I had an oil service and they were unable to reset the warning message. Their reason was that the warning had gone beyond a certain threshold and that it would need to be reset by BMW. Having previously used the reset method, I tried to do this myself but could never get any of the icons to display.

Having failed to fix it myself, I took the car to my local dealer (Cooper, Cobham) just this afternoon (along with the paperwork as proof - even though they would also see this from the fact a new filter was present/fitted) and that flatly told me that they were not prepared to help and that I would have to suffer the warning until the next service was due. Quite frankly I was so angered by their complete lack of respect & basic courtesy towards customers that I will never go back to that dealer again!

After searching through all of teh posts, I though I would try unlocking the 'hidden menu' to see if this would help (previously used this to recallibrate MPG) but to no avail.

The problem I have is that I never see the warning symbols after pressing/briefly releasing/pressing the odometer reset button; all that happens is the time/date reappears and then I see the warning triangle again and so the cycle goes on. If I hold the odometer button for too long I see the hidden menu.

I have also noticed that the Vehicle Settings\Status screen is now intermittent; sometimes the information completely disappears for a few minutes at a time, on other occasions it may not be as long.

Aside from driving round to all the other local BMW dealers in turn to find one that will be prapered to help I would be eternally grateful if anyone can offer some advice on how I can reset my oil service warning; thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

https://5series.net/forums/topic/177...st__p__1055765

Bad news mate. I had exactly the same issue. Read the post linked above. When you had a red warning displayed, too late. It needs a service PC to get it reset. I also learned that a hard way. In mine case BMW did it for free, warning me next time they will charge 50Euro. Lesson learned, next time reset you oil service 1k before is due, even if you didn't change oil as you plan to do it a few km later.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 2004 525d SE (auto), Mystic Blue with Beige Dakota Leather & 19" Star Spoke Alloys.

Originally Posted by pszyman
https://5series.net/forums/topic/177...st__p__1055765

Bad news mate. I had exactly the same issue. Read the post linked above. When you had a red warning displayed, too late. It needs a service PC to get it reset. I also learned that a hard way. In mine case BMW did it for free, warning me next time they will charge 50Euro. Lesson learned, next time reset you oil service 1k before is due, even if you didn't change oil as you plan to do it a few km later.

Hi pszyman

Thanks for your post; even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear :-(

Off to a different BMW dealer now to see if they'll do it F.O.C. or whether I'll pay the UK£ equivelent of 50 euros.

Wish me luck...