DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Injured my E60 - fuse box help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)
Angry

Well I really screwed up my E60 today... was using a voltmeter to test the cig lighter outlet on the console, and accidently shorted it, and now neither of the front two cig outlets work. In the process of attempting to find the shorted fuse, I began removing and placing back the fuses in the fuse box behind the glove compartment. Because I was a ****** moron I did this while the battery was CONNECTED. Needless to say all the fuses were fine (where is the one for the cig lighters?), but now I get a control systems failure when I turn on the car, with ABS, DTC, etc. off.

Perhaps I just put a fuse back in the wrong place. I couldn't find any info on BMW WebTIS about fuse locations, does this information not exist? I've made an appointment with the dealer on Monday, hopefully I didn't fry a critical component and be liable for thousands of dollars in parts and labor. iDrive is still fine and the car still drives so I'm optimistic.

Lessons learned today:

1. Voltmeters have long ass metal probes, they can easily short out things like a cig lighter.
2. Never connect and disconnect ANY internal electrical components or wires in a vehicle without the battery disconnected.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Members

Good luck mate - but dont be suprised if they try to take you for a ride on this one. Are you going to go in with the "what the hells gone wrong?" style, or just tell them what happened?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Seeing as how half the car has holes in it and speaker wires sticking out, going with the 'what the hell's gone wrong approach' would look laughable. Best to give them the most information I can to get things corrected in the least time possible.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Members

Ahh.... I see.

What have you been doing?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jul 8 2005, 12:15 PM
Ahh.... I see.

What have you been doing?
[snapback]147011[/snapback]
Redoing the audio system myself - putting head unit in dash, cleaning up the wiring, amp rack in spare tire compartment, new sub box in trunk, etc. Making this into something that can at least pass for an audio competition vehicle.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jul 8 2005, 08:31 AM
Good luck mate - but dont be suprised if they try to take you for a ride on this one. Are you going to go in with the "what the hells gone wrong?" style, or just tell them what happened?
[snapback]146996[/snapback]
i think his service advisor will ask him "what the hell's gone wrong?" and with the "how the hell did he do it?" look on his face after he saw the sound system . good luck, merzbow .
Old 07-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear about that. I agree---with your sound system it's best to tell the dealer what you did, which will help them diagnose the issue quicker. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they're usually very flexible...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

I finally found the fuse information in WebTIS in the WDS application. Unbelievable amount of information. It told me the location of the cig lighter fuse, in the REAR fuse box. I pulled it and the fuse is obviously fried, simple matter to pick up a new one. Also it told me the location for the DSC fuse, fuse 25 in the front fuse box. Lo and behold that slot is empty, so I must have misplaced that fuse! Now to figure out where I misplaced the fuse, and put it back. I may have dodged a bullet here, we'll see...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

YEAH BIATCH! I had misplaced the 30a fuse for slot 25 in slot 23, which is supposed to be empty. Once I put it back in slot 25 everything worked again! I still need to get the airbag warning reset because I had connected the battery with the driver door airbag not connected properly, but that can wait a while.

I am both amazed at my own ingenuity and shocked at my own stupidity and carelessness - but more of the latter at this point in time. Luckily this was a cheap lesson in electronics safety.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

no matter what you did, congrats ! it's too complicated for some of us, including me :'(, and possibly the dealer as well .

Quick Reply: Injured my E60 - fuse box help?