DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

I can't get the black things out !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

OK first I tried w/the dental floss almost lost some fingers, then I got fed up and tried w/a screw driver but I had a cloth around the tip..... can someone please help.. what side do I pull from the side nearest the lic. plate or the other side??? and do I just pull straight or what? I am going to try tomorrow when there is light . but would love some talking me through it Oh and when that's done I have my chrome grill in my trunk
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Both will break. You need fishing wire. Hook on the inside of the insert, nearest the license plate, and pull the f*** out of it. It won't break.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 08:09 PM
Both will break.? You need fishing wire.? Hook on the inside of the insert, nearest the license plate, and pull the f*** out of it.? It won't break.
[snapback]130418[/snapback]
Yep...20 lbs fishing line from Target works best! Just yank it. Remember to put the line on end nearest to the plate. Wear gloves to save fingers.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by arnolds' date='May 18 2005, 11:15 PM
[quote name='Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 08:09 PM']Both will break.? You need fishing wire.?? Hook on the inside of the insert, nearest the license plate, and pull the f*** out of it.? It won't break.
[snapback]130418[/snapback]
Yep...20 lbs fishing line from Target works best! Just yank it. Remember to put the line on end nearest to the plate. Wear gloves to save fingers.
[snapback]130419[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK so tomorrow morning I'm going to target buying 20lbs fishing line tuck it under the corner closest to the license plate and do i move it as much as I can go to the right (other side) and just pull? and the stupid black things won't break??? and I can sell'em on ebay ...
Old 05-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I used a screw driver and a towel around it.. I pulled from the outside not the inside...It worked for me jsut really yank it out even if it feels like its gonna break don't worry its not.. well which ever way you choose good luck
Old 05-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Mine didn't take much of a pull at all. The tabs didn't break either.
(I didn't think there was a market for the black ones. )

Maybe I'll have my black ones Chromed. Nobody has tried that one yet as far as I know.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can use dental floss but you should use four of five strands of it at the same time. Use gloves so you don't slice your fingers and pull from the inside edge (closest to the center of the car.)

Don't bother going out and buying fishing line just for this -- multiple strands of floss will work -- trust me...
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 08:28 PM
You can use dental floss but you should use four of five strands of it at the same time.? Use gloves so you don't slice your fingers and pull from the inside edge (closest to the center of the car.)

Don't bother going out and buying fishing line just for this -- multiple strands of floss will work -- trust me...
[snapback]130427[/snapback]
I didn't have any fishing line so I used dental floss, doubled it twice--worked like a charm.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 18 2005, 11:30 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 08:28 PM']You can use dental floss but you should use four of five strands of it at the same time.? Use gloves so you don't slice your fingers and pull from the inside edge (closest to the center of the car.)

[snapback]130427[/snapback]
I didn't have any fishing line so I used dental floss, doubled it twice--worked like a charm.
[snapback]130429[/snapback]
[/quote]

well I'll try it one more time tomorrow maybe if I use gloves I can do it this time..... I HOPE.. if i can't do this how the hell am I going to put the grill on????
Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I used thin white string... dental floss like you said almost cut my fingers off and I even used 5 layers and still didnt work but thin white string workd...

Quick Reply: I can't get the black things out !!!!