DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incase anyone who has a 2010 E60 and does not know how to transfer music data from their flash drive to the USB port.
I found that lots of people on the bimmerfest forums couldn't figure it out when I was trying to attempt it so this post may find it be useful for others here.

(Picture numbering from left to right)

1. First you obviously turn on your car and take the flash drive (pic 1)

2. MP3 music on it installed to the flash drive plug it in the USB slot located in the glove box (pic 2).
NOTE: make sure you insert the flash drive up-side down since this is the way BMW made the port, at least on mine.

3. Move your idrive to the main menu and select the CD / Multimedia and click it (pic 3).

4. Move your idrive knob to External Device and click it (pic 4).

5. Move your idrive knob to the USB symbol ( it will be greyed out, so don't worry ) and use the shortcut button "option" click it (pic 5).

6. Move your idrive knob to Import/export and click it (pic 6).

7. Move the idrive knob to Import Music (US and click it (pic 7).

8. The Transfer should start and when your done it will show 100% and you click the "ok" on the screen (pic 8).

9. Now hit menu button again and go to CD / Multimedia > Music collection and you will see your transfer called USB 1 (pic 9).
Attached Thumbnails How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-022.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-023.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-031.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-032.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-041.jpg  

How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-042.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-043.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-050.jpg   How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD-051.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Members

Thanks. That's very helpful.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Members

My Ride: - - - - - - Blue 525d Executive, BT, Logic7, 18inch 124's, sunroof, sport seats

And you can change the names USB x into more descriptive text (only capitals)
The folder structure on the imported USB will also be reflected on the iDrive.

Great feature!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EricO5d' post='1016637' date='Sep 25 2009, 06:55 AM
And you can change the names USB x into more descriptive text (only capitals)
The folder structure on the imported USB will also be reflected on the iDrive.

Great feature!
If anyone else find any "new" features on editing the folder name or any others please post it here!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

so it's stored on the car's HD and will play without the USB plugged in? What's the storage space for file transfer/saving items on the e60's HD?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

That's cool mang !
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

Can I also load files through the CD/DVD-Player?
I am planning my new ride and the USB-drive option for the E60 costs about 400? extra, it's not a standard item.
So if this would be only possible to load music through the USB port, I had to order this..

bye,Ivano
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1021580' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:39 PM
so it's stored on the car's HD and will play without the USB plugged in? What's the storage space for file transfer/saving items on the e60's HD?
Yes, it stores all MP3 data to your car's hard drive storage without having the USB plugged in at all times. You can however plug in the flash Drive into the center console USB port and play songs without having to transfer the data as well. I don't know the maxium capacity of storage space off the top of my head, but I do have about 800+ songs stored and only used 30% of the storage.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ivano' post='1021966' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:10 AM
Can I also load files through the CD/DVD-Player?
I am planning my new ride and the USB-drive option for the E60 costs about 400? extra, it's not a standard item.
So if this would be only possible to load music through the USB port, I had to order this..

bye,Ivano
Yes, you can also copy the songs via CD/DVD slots. You can also play DVD movies, while the car is in parked.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='1022084' date='Oct 1 2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, it stores all MP3 data to your car's hard drive storage without having the USB plugged in at all times. You can however plug in the flash Drive into the center console USB port and play songs without having to transfer the data as well. I don't know the maxium capacity of storage space off the top of my head, but I do have about 800+ songs stored and only used 30% of the storage.
thanks for the info

Quick Reply: How to Transfer music data from your flash drive to your Car's HD