DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to remove the cup holder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Wife spills some mocha in the cup holder and it got inside the cup holder, and now when it opens and close it sticks a little....
how do i remove it and clean them out?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

it a load of work to get it out, I think be best bet is to just clean it a few time to get the stickyness out of it.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='502857' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:13 AM
it a load of work to get it out, I think be best bet is to just clean it a few time to get the stickyness out of it.
+1 If I recall correctly, the cup holder is actually mounted from inside/behind the dash so you'd realistically be looking at taking the dash off to get at the holder. Not worth the time and effort in my opinion, not to mention the fact that unmounting and remounting of any trim panels will slowly reduce the tightness of fit, eventually resulting in rattles and squeaks. I'd go at cleaning it thoroughly a couple of times until the stickiness goes away.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There are two pieces to the cupholder -- the cupholder itself and the cupholder "carrier". The cupholder is very simple to remove but the cupholder carrier is a little more involved (but not necessarily as involved as taking the whole dashboard out.)

Here's the instructions for removing the cupholder:
replacing_front__inner_or_outer__cup_holder.pdf

To remove the carrier, you have to remove the wood trim that runs between them, the glovebox, and some other minor stuff depending on which cupholder you're talking about. I don't have a document ready for this task right now but if needed I could probably whip something up in the next couple of days. If you need it, let me know which one (inner cupholder or outer cupholder) so I can make the right one. (If you don't need it, that would be fine too since the documents with multiple steps take some time to create...)
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Thanks all for the reply.
Rudy, thanks for the info, I think I need to remove the carrier since mocha gets inside the dash...
But knowing how lazy I am, if it's fairly involved I doubt I will ever get to it. Plus the stickyness isn't too bad.
It's the cup holder closer to the driver that swings at an angle (inner?)

so i guess 1 thing i hate about the car is the cup holder (i think i am not alone) .... i was renting the new highlander and they have FOUR full size cup holders in the front! but the handling....
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Funny that you Americans rate cars by the amount of cupholders
I didn't even order the front cupholders (a 90 euro option, ridiculous) and I never miss them.

I don't drink & drive. If I need a coffee I just stop the car at a gas station and take a 5 min break to stretch my legs, then move on. Never understood the point of having a cupholder in a car, let alone 6 or 8 of them. I never heard a Dutch guy mention anything about a cupholder in a car.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Members

My Ride: the family sedan...

We need our $4 lattes to keep us awake during our 1-2hr commutes to/from work on bumpy highways that ruin our precious aftermarket wheels.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='503075' date='Dec 5 2007, 01:00 PM
Funny that you Americans rate cars by the amount of cupholders
I didn't even order the front cupholders (a 90 euro option, ridiculous) and I never miss them.

I don't drink & drive. If I need a coffee I just stop the car at a gas station and take a 5 min break to stretch my legs, then move on. Never understood the point of having a cupholder in a car, let alone 6 or 8 of them. I never heard a Dutch guy mention anything about a cupholder in a car.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by kchan' post='503059' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks all for the reply.
Rudy, thanks for the info, I think I need to remove the carrier since mocha gets inside the dash...
But knowing how lazy I am, if it's fairly involved I doubt I will ever get to it. Plus the stickyness isn't too bad.
It's the cup holder closer to the driver that swings at an angle (inner?)

so i guess 1 thing i hate about the car is the cup holder (i think i am not alone) .... i was renting the new highlander and they have FOUR full size cup holders in the front! but the handling....

You may want to try a steamer on the area in and around the opening .It will dissolve the sugar and make the movement smooth again. Much easier than taking it apart, good luck.

Cheers