DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to find New ZB Number

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find New ZB Number

I need help to find right ZB Number, I used inpa to find assembly number but it is old WinKFP with daten v46 files throwing me an error code 3000 Assembly identification number not fond in xxfconf.da2
I?m trying to update gearbox on E60 525xi 06'. I tried to choose ECU family I can?t find the right one.
What is the right ECU to update Gearbox ECU on E60 or ZB Number?
Thank You for your help.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

When was your car last programmed?
Specifically the EGS you're wanting to update. You should see this date in the UIF
46 daten is new but you may have not installed correctly. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?....Is there a reason you want to update EGS? You may be getting yourself in trouble if you're not familiar with how to do this properly. Let me know.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
New Members

The car was programmed back in 2005.
I am trying to update transmission module to eliminate transmission jerking after a full stop, or before the stop. I heard that you can update module and that should help.
I followed the instruction to install v46 to WinKFP and everything went smooth.
I guess my ZB number is pretty old so winkfp can?t find it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DJScorp
I am trying to update transmission module to eliminate transmission jerking after a full stop, or before the stop. I heard that you can update module and that should help.
I saw on bmwcoding.com someone told you how to find the newest zbnr did you retry the flash did it work? Is the jerking stopped
Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Ok so you have original software. I wasn't aware of a software update fix for the xi models regarding the EGS. How do you know it's not a physical issue?
Yes if you have a software version from 2005 and you try to update i don't think it's going to find the old ZB Number. You will have to select the new ZB number. I personally would update the entire car. It's like you're going to run Windows NT 4.0 on your DME and Windows 7 Ultimate on your EGS. I don't think that would be wise to just update one thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
New Members

I didn't have this issue before I changed transmission oil and pan since the old oil pan had a leak. Then I reset the adaption control and jerking was reduced. Now I want to update an ECU and see if this will resolve the issue
I searched different forums from what I see updating ECU help a lot of people.
I found the way to find new zbnr. I will try to update ECU tomorrow
If it will give me any complications I will update the rest of the car.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Updating the entire car may help a lot of people but remember you own a BMW and you also own an XI so their symptoms are probably not related to yours.

Here's some help:
Nothing changed besides what you changed. So with that in mind the software did not change. So my Q to you would be did you use the correct fluid for your specific tranny and did you use the correct procedures? If you did use the correct fluid, I am willing to bet you did not cycle through all the gears and/or you probably didn't put the correct amount of fluid in the car. This will cause the issue you have.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 PM
New Members

I used lifeguard6 fill it with proper temperature 40 - 50 degree, everything was done by my mechanic with mine supervision.
I updated the gearbox ecu this weekend and transition handles way better than before no more stop jerks.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I used lifeguard6 fill it with proper temperature 40 - 50 degree, everything was done by my mechanic with mine supervision.
I updated the gearbox ecu this weekend and transition handles way better than before no more stop jerks.
How did you find the new ZB#? Trying to update my KBM but getting the same error as you.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:22 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 LCi

It been several years since the last post, but I thought i'd explain how to find the right ZB number for anyone out there.

1. Go to Inpa and note the ZB number and ADR through UIF readout.
2. Open C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\gdaten\HWNR.DA2 with notepad.
3. The file has lots of numbers in it arranged in sections. Each section start with $SG_ECU-FAMILY.
4. Use Ctrl + F to find the ZB number you got from Step 1.
5. When you do, note the ECU Family. See step 3.
6. Go to winKFP->Comfort mode, choose ZUSB.
7. Select the ECU Family from step 5 and click ok. The Integration position will be "Unverbaut" or will match the ADR in step 1. Leave it at Unverbaut.
6. Enter VIN
7. Click Done.
8. Th ECU address/integration position will be displayed on the first line of winkfp.
9. Click program!

If you get an ECU error at this point, instead of step 6, try

6. Go to winKFP->Comfort mode, update ZUSB
7. Click ok -> Enter Vin -> Program
8. Go on and confirm the ZB Update

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
HankReardon (04-02-2023)

Quick Reply: How to find New ZB Number