DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to disable the door chime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

The safety gateway body module is located behind the fuse box at the back of the glove box, its a long black box.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

In Fresno there's a gym owner named George brown, he's an avid car buff. He and his wife get there hair did at a salon across the street from my office down there. He's had a number of amazing cars parked over there, two of em being RR. One phantom a while ago and most recently a RR coupe, the new one can't remember the model. But I shot the shit with him about em checking em out and all and I could not believe they had the same frickin door chime as my 525! I know they're built by BMW but cmon gimme a break. Switch the sound if ur going to build a 300k dollar plus vehicle!! Made me feel real good about my chime for a bit
Old 04-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Members

That's hilarious they put the same chime in a Rolls. The next time it's sounding I'll close my eyes and pretend I'm a movie star. Anyway I'm sure whoever came up with the chime is pretty proud of it, and thought it would be great if it were going off all the time.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Members

Curious as well.

Originally Posted by vwvwvw
550i, I'm really glad you have details on this. A few questions:
- Where is the body gateway module located? Do you have its connector pinout?
- Would filtering the CAN-BUS x205 command also disable the interior lighting when the door is opened? (I assume grounding the latch sensor would.) I'd like to keep the lighting working.
- Do you have a map for the data in the x205 command?
- Do you know if there are software settings for this?

I can build a CAN filter if necessary (I am an EE), but would want to go a simpler route if possible. I can share my plans if I wind up building something.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

- Where is the body gateway module located? Do you have its connector pinout?
Behind the glove box. The pins on the KGM for the Hall sensors in the door lock for the drivers door is pins 15, 28, and 29. It's one of the three. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Here are the pins along with the names
Pin: 15 - HALLSN1F
Pin: 28 - HALLSN2F
Pin: 29 - TKF

- Would filtering the CAN-BUS x205 command also disable the interior lighting when the door is opened? (I assume grounding the latch sensor would.) I'd like to keep the lighting working.
- Do you have a map for the data in the x205 command?
Unlike tricking the Hall effect sensor to always be closed, making the CAN-BUS filter would only affect the messages that are masked and it would not disable the interior lights.

I have the message (2 bytes) of the chime. When I've injected the message on the K_CAN the door chime goes off. It's really amusing until you run your battery down flashing the lights and playing the chime over and over.

The door chime is: 0x205 with data 0xF3FF

I'm working on some K_CAN hacking at the moment; making a trailer module for my recently installed Westfalia towbar. In the process I've discovered the hazzard/blinker CANID and data for: left, right, and both, the double and single flash for the alarm set/unset, and the PDC on/off sequence.
I'll be making another post on my CANBUS findings soon once I'm done with my trailer module.

- Do you know if there are software settings for this?
No. I don't if it's a 'code-able' feature or not. This might be a dealer question or indy shop that has the coding tools necessary.

I can build a CAN filter if necessary (I am an EE), but would want to go a simpler route if possible. I can share my plans if I wind up building something.
From what I can tell it won't be all that easy. You are either going to 'disable' the Hall sensor and also loose the interior lights (since the KGM will never know that the door was opened) or make a CAN-BUS filter that keeps the ASK from seeing the door chime ID.

I've been using a MCP25050 to talk to the K_CAN so far - and it's what I will be using in my trailer module. Yeah, sure, if you collaborate that would be cool!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 2006 BMW 530i with sport and prem package, staggered 124 wheels, 50% tint, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black interior w/ alum trim set, M style body kit and sound upgrade: Alpine PDX-5, PXE-H660, sub, MBQuart speakers.

I checked the speaker under the driver side dash last night- I really thought I could just disconnect it and the chime would be gone. But I was horrified to find out the chime is coming out of the door speakers, not the under dash speaker. (Actually, I'm not sure what the under dash speaker is for if not for the chime.) My car is a 2008 E61- it might be different on other models.

This will require more sleuthing. I hate that damn chime.

If it's coming out of the speakers then it should be easy to disable it, unless it's coming through the radio...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
New Members

Someone PLEASE post a solution to turn this freaking dong off! Unlike some of you the one on my wife's car is ridiculously loud, I can hear it in my house as my wife gets in and starts her car! As far as the seatbelt one it is also ridiculous, I am an adult and if I chose to not wear my belt to move my car into my garage etc I should have a choice whether or not to hear that obnoxious sound. I have read allot of post on not wearing seat belts and I just don't get it! I can ride a motorcycle without a helmet if I chose so in many states, yet I can't drive without a seat belt. How ridiculous is that? And for those of you that oppose this as long as your not responsible for my insurance premiums or my funeral expenses please keep your comments to yourself. I'm not trying to be rude but I believe it my choice whether to wear one or not!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Get a loose buckle and stick it in.

And then get an light accident and on top get a massive blow by the airbag that is going of while you move forward not beeing held by the seat belt. The airbag will probably hurt you more then the accident.

Maybe disable the airbag also