DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP! Where's the clutch fluid reservoir on E60 545i? (Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Finished w/ CDV install but couldn't find the clutch fluid reservoir for bleeding the fluid.

I could only see the brake fluid reservoir.
Is the clutch the same w/ brake fluid reservoir?

HELP! and thanks!
David
Old 09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is the rear section of the brake fluid reservoir.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Well, turned out that there's no separate clutch fluid reservoir.
It's COMBINED w/ the brake fluid reservoir.

I tried the classic method performing the bleed using press and release w/ a help of a friend but never got a good result after 15 mins of bleeding.

I ended up using pressure bleeder to get it done and oh boy it was fast to bleed the air bubble out!

Now my clutch feels gooooooooodddddddd
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Congrats David! I'm looking forward to my CDV delete, and clutch bleed
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1004876' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:36 AM
Congrats David! I'm looking forward to my CDV delete, and clutch bleed
Don't buy another CDV,
I'll give you back modded CDV you gave me.
I'm going to go ahead and remove the CDV all together and connect directly into the clutch slave

(my car has no more warranty left)
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 12/03 545i. From the instructions I received with the modified CDV I purchased, it sounded like my car had a dual compartment reservoir. I have not done the installation yet. I have a few questions for you since you successfully installed yours. How much of a pain is removing the underbody shrouding to get to the valve? How much did you have to remove? Did you just jack up the driver side of the car or did you have the use of a lift? Did you crimp the rubber hose to restrict flow or just let the fluid drain?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Removal of the underbody is very easy. It's just that there are lots of 8mm bolts and phillip head screws that hold the undertray but removal is very straight forward.
Remove the back section of tray (the one that covers the transmission and oil drain) and then remove the front section of the tray (the one that covers the engine).

I jacked on the jack point under the engine to raise the front, then I put jack stand under the jack point on the front L and R (under the front door). Just make sure you raise the car high enough to slide yourself under the car. You can also use rhino ramp to make things easier.

Make sure you get 11mm flare wrench. Well even w/ flare wrench, there may not be enough leverage to open the metal line, so I used vise grip instead

To restrict the flow, I used a trimmed golf T to stop the flow. I suggest NOT to let the fluid drain because if the reservoir is fully drained, then the master cylinder will have air in it) then you might have to bench bleed the master cylinder (a lot more work)

As far as bleeding, I also suggest you to get the pressure bleeder instead of pump the clutch pedal and release the bleeder valve (classic method). This saves a lot of time as you can just release the bleeder valve once then let the fluid flow until you see no more air bubble.

As dual compartment reservoir, I assume you have two master cylinder reservoir (one for clutch one for brake)?
IF this is the case then you would have to pressure bleed the clutch reservoir instead of the brake reservoir.

Mine is 2005 545 and I only have one reservoir (clutch and brake combine).

Good luck w/ the install. It's a straight forward install, it's just that the location of the CDV is fairly tight but it's reachable
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 X5 4.4i Sport 2004 545i 6-Speed

Originally Posted by salaki
Don't buy another CDV,
I'll give you back modded CDV you gave me.
I'm going to go ahead and remove the CDV all together and connect directly into the clutch slave

(my car has no more warranty left)

I am obviously out of warranty, so I am not concerned about the lack of CDV. HOWEVER, does it work/fit to just remove the valve completely and bend the lines to make it fit? Is the end of the hydraulic line threaded to match the slave cylinder?

Just curious if anyone has done this....would like to save the $50 on the modified valve if I can....

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 X5 4.4i Sport 2004 545i 6-Speed

Originally Posted by 5456SPD
I am obviously out of warranty, so I am not concerned about the lack of CDV. HOWEVER, does it work/fit to just remove the valve completely and bend the lines to make it fit? Is the end of the hydraulic line threaded to match the slave cylinder?

Just curious if anyone has done this....would like to save the $50 on the modified valve if I can....

Thanks!
Anyone have input on this?!
Thanks