DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP: iPod interface install issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THX for confirming what I have been saying all along!!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Members

I too must get my cdc enabled I believe. I did all of the installation and presto! It wouldn't work. I am able to access my cd changer if I have a disk in the front cd drive by going to CD in idrive then going to CD1-CD6 but I don't have CDC displayed next to CD, SAT, FM, etc in my idrive. I assume this means I need to get CDC enabled?

Also, how can you tell if your system reads Mp3's? I think mine can. I have this disk and when i play it on the bottom of the idrive display it said the name of the Mp3 track. Am I good to go there?

thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='768476' date='Jan 15 2009, 07:25 AM
I too must get my cdc enabled I believe. I did all of the installation and presto! It wouldn't work. I am able to access my cd changer if I have a disk in the front cd drive by going to CD in idrive then going to CD1-CD6 but I don't have CDC displayed next to CD, SAT, FM, etc in my idrive. I assume this means I need to get CDC enabled?

Also, how can you tell if your system reads Mp3's? I think mine can. I have this disk and when i play it on the bottom of the idrive display it said the name of the Mp3 track. Am I good to go there?

thanks!

There is no CDC option on the screen. It's just CD and then a submenu with dvd, cd, cd1, cd2, cd3, etc. The ipod adapter uses cd1 for playlists i believe and cd2 for artists etc. Also if your cd you burned is a data cd with .mp3 files on it and you can play it in the main cd player in the dash then you are good to go which it sounds like you are. You can navigate the different folders on the mp3 disk and the text is displayed on the bottom of the idrive screen if the mp3s are tagged properly. Check the wiring harness and make sure everything is all set since it seems like you should be up and running right now.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NWS Alpine' post='768670' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:35 PM
There is no CDC option on the screen. It's just CD and then a submenu with dvd, cd, cd1, cd2, cd3, etc. The ipod adapter uses cd1 for playlists i believe and cd2 for artists etc. Also if your cd you burned is a data cd with .mp3 files on it and you can play it in the main cd player in the dash then you are good to go which it sounds like you are. You can navigate the different folders on the mp3 disk and the text is displayed on the bottom of the idrive screen if the mp3s are tagged properly. Check the wiring harness and make sure everything is all set since it seems like you should be up and running right now.
+1
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by NWS Alpine' post='768670' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:35 PM
note that even without the MP3 option enabled, the CCC will display cd-text tags if the audio cd was burned with names, but that is still not MP3-capable. you need to burn a cd with a decent number of .mp3 files (ie more than 20 or so) and verify that the drive will play them. See the thread on how to burn an MP3 CD for full details on how to burn a disc.

Some of the CD changers do not play MP3s regardless of the head unit. So, test with the head unit CD slot.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='768734' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:05 PM
note that even without the MP3 option enabled, the CCC will display cd-text tags if the audio cd was burned with names, but that is still not MP3-capable. you need to burn a cd with a decent number of .mp3 files (ie more than 20 or so) and verify that the drive will play them. See the thread on how to burn an MP3 CD for full details on how to burn a disc.

Some of the CD changers do not play MP3s regardless of the head unit. So, test with the head unit CD slot.

I'm starting to think that i don't have the mp3 retrofit. I have it connected and the CD on the idrive is grayed out. My cd changer worked fine... I will let you all know. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='768988' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm starting to think that i don't have the mp3 retrofit. I have it connected and the CD on the idrive is grayed out. My cd changer worked fine... I will let you all know. Thanks for the help.
Also, my ipod is reading the hardware, i get the bmw sign and "it's ok to disconnect". Its got to be the mp3 retrofit.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributors

it's not the CD-Changer that has to be able to play mp3. it's the headunit single CD-Slot
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='769010' date='Jan 15 2009, 07:43 PM
it's not the CD-Changer that has to be able to play mp3. it's the headunit single CD-Slot
Re-installed the cd changer then headed up to the dealership with the SI bulliten, they are retrofitting mp3 playback. I think it needs a higher version progman, right?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='771899' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:06 PM
Re-installed the cd changer then headed up to the dealership with the SI bulliten, they are retrofitting mp3 playback. I think it needs a higher version progman, right?
Depends... i think most early versions have the capability to get mp3 enabled so shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: HELP: iPod interface install issues...