DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help on how to get power to a dash mounted device

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I have a road angel (gps speed camera alerts for those who aren't sure what it does) and i want to power it from the ignition of my car. It needs to sit on top of the dash and preferably in the corner. Does anybody have any advice on how i may go about this?? It normally runs of the 12v cigerette adapter.

Thanks

Ben
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

It depends on how much or how little you want to dismantle your interior.

My solution for a Garmin was to mount it low down in front of the gear lever, with the suction pad mounting in the small cubby box under the CD drive. This meant that I could parallel up the wires to the cigar lighter, so all the wiring is hidden. Plus my Satnav isn't on view if I park up and can't be bothered to remove it, and it doesn't leave tell-tale marks on the screen. This has the advantage in my case that when I switch off the ignition, the Nav goes off, and when I switch the ignition back on, the Nav comes on too. My aerial for the Traffic Information goes upwards and is hidden behind the dash trim. I still get good satellite lock with the Nav mounted down there.

As most suction pads won't stick to the area in front of the iDrive, there were some posts on this forum from someone who had put a clear film in front of the iDrive - not the screen - and this allowed suction pads to stick. Unfortunately I only saw this after I had mounted mine.

Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='552930' date='Mar 30 2008, 12:06 AM
It depends on how much or how little you want to dismantle your interior.

My solution for a Garmin was to mount it low down in front of the gear lever, with the suction pad mounting in the small cubby box under the CD drive. This meant that I could parallel up the wires to the cigar lighter, so all the wiring is hidden. Plus my Satnav isn't on view if I park up and can't be bothered to remove it, and it doesn't leave tell-tale marks on the screen. This has the advantage in my case that when I switch off the ignition, the Nav goes off, and when I switch the ignition back on, the Nav comes on too. My aerial for the Traffic Information goes upwards and is hidden behind the dash trim. I still get good satellite lock with the Nav mounted down there.

As most suction pads won't stick to the area in front of the iDrive, there were some posts on this forum from someone who had put a clear film in front of the iDrive - not the screen - and this allowed suction pads to stick. Unfortunately I only saw this after I had mounted mine.

Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to just solder in to the back of the cigar lighter with the new cables or is it a different type of connection?

Ben
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

You could solder directly, but the wires that go to the power socket are the super-flexible type, and the socket moves so much. I went an inch or so further back to the plug, cut the wires and chocolate-blocked them, along with an extension for my Nav. Subtle hey??

Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by bennicklen' post='552917' date='Mar 29 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi all

I have a road angel (gps speed camera alerts for those who aren't sure what it does) and i want to power it from the ignition of my car. It needs to sit on top of the dash and preferably in the corner. Does anybody have any advice on how i may go about this?? It normally runs of the 12v cigerette adapter.

Thanks

Ben
I used the power outlet in the passenger side foot well. There is a hole in the foot well plastic cover through which I fed the wire back up and out of the way. Open the glove box and remove the iDrive display (2 screws on top) and you can feed the wire out by the side of the iDrive display. From there it is a short distance to my radar detector on top of the dash.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

I don't know about the later cars, but I understand that here in the UK we didn't get passenger side power sockets (or boot/trunk ones either).

We didn't get the boot/trunk opener either on early cars unless we had an E61 - the retrofit was an easy and cheap job though.

Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='553791' date='Mar 31 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know about the later cars, but I understand that here in the UK we didn't get passenger side power sockets (or boot/trunk ones either).

We didn't get the boot/trunk opener either on early cars unless we had an E61 - the retrofit was an easy and cheap job though.

Mike

Hi

I do not have a footwell 12v socket. If i didn't want to take apart the centre console could i run a socket from the fuse box behind the glovebox over to the drivers side then just hide the cables behind the trim under the sterring column?

Thanks

Ben
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
zen
Members

Just take a "stakon" tab and stick it into the top bus of the fuse panel to the right of the (2) 5 amp fuses. Add an "in line" fuse holder and the you're on your way. Of course it will always be hot. I think the bottom bus is switched.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen' post='554951' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:00 PM
Just take a "stakon" tab and stick it into the top bus of the fuse panel to the right of the (2) 5 amp fuses. Add an "in line" fuse holder and the you're on your way. Of course it will always be hot. I think the bottom bus is switched.

sounds great! thanks very much

Ben