DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help with 530i 6M shifter removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Here is the only thread I can find about 'how' to change out the standard shifter to the often-liked Z4:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...=short++shifter

However, it is void of all details on exactly how to remove the current shifter. I have also been searching for nearly 2 hours all over the web while my helper/install guy is in the driveway attempting to remove it and I cannot find anything other than everyone saying how simple it is and how it only took them 20 min. ...

Can anyone point me to any step by step instructions from this site or any other?

Right now we have everything off to basically the point where you can see the silver rod held in by the white plastic ring. He cannot get this white plastic ring off. Some say turn it 30 degrees clockwise, but I have also read 90 degrees, and counter-clockwise, and ...

Also, some seem to indicate they were under the car; others say they did everything from inside the car with no problems.

Any advice or tips sure would be appreciated! Sorry if I sound crabby -- I'm not, just very, very frustrated. This is why I never do any work on my car by myself because no matter how easy 'everyone' says something is, it never is.

And if anyone says "Use the search feature" they should be prepared to have hands flying through their monitor and grabbing them by the throat. Maybe it won't happen today; maybe not tomorrow, they'll truly never know when it's coming -- but it will ... it most definitely will, some day when they least expect it ...

Thanking for any assistance in advance!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Seriously? Nobody out there? I read so many "this is easy to do" threads here with guys who did this on their own ... I'll keep googling -- so far no luck.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1034831' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:02 PM
Seriously? Nobody out there? I read so many "this is easy to do" threads here with guys who did this on their own ... I'll keep googling -- so far no luck.

The E60 6 speed manual shifter is held on by a press fit nylon sleeve. You should loosen the leather boot around the base first ( this can be done without tools or pics ). Then you grab the shifter and pull up real hard ( just do not hit yourself in the face when it finally comes loose ). The reason you loosen the boot first is because if you violently yank the shift knob out it might damage the plastic base of the boot.

For the E60 automatic shift knob removal you just grab the handle, engage the shift release button, and pull up hard**

** this does not apply to the SMG or Auto stick shift knob. I do not recommend removing those, you can work around them or remove them in one whole unit still attached to the base.

Hope this info helps you out.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='1034905' date='Oct 17 2009, 10:26 PM
The E60 6 speed manual shifter is held on by a press fit nylon sleeve. You should loosen the leather boot around the base first ( this can be done without tools or pics ). Then you grab the shifter and pull up real hard ( just do not hit yourself in the face when it finally comes loose ). The reason you loosen the boot first is because if you violently yank the shift knob out it might damage the plastic base of the boot.

For the E60 automatic shift knob removal you just grab the handle, engage the shift release button, and pull up hard**

** this does not apply to the SMG or Auto stick shift knob. I do not recommend removing those, you can work around them or remove them in one whole unit still attached to the base.

Hope this info helps you out.

Thank you sincerely for the reply, but we actually didn't have any difficulty removing the shift knob. I had read to put it in 2nd and pull towards your chest and it came right off with a little jiggling. We were careful not to jiggle too much so that the plastic ring inside wouldn't break. I purchased a ///M leather shifter with the numbers lit in red from Bruce Miranda, so that was the easy part.

The problem was removing the actual shifter so that I could replace it with a shorter Z4 model. We got all the way to having the leather boot removed, the shift knob, the rubber boot down deep inside, and could see the white plastic ring that was holding it in. No matter what he tried he could not remove this blasted white ring.

He was a friend visiting from out of town and left tonight, so he put on the new shift knob and we called it a night. I had a contractor friend standing by to put the same bend in the Z4 shifter that's in the E60's, but we didn't want to do it until he had my old one to compare it to. Wanted a perfect angle ...

Love the new knob, but still have the original shifter. Seriously, I read every thread/topic/paragraph, etc. I could google all over the Web and came up with nadda -- which I have to say was very frustrating. Everything was so vague with little to no details and certainly no graphics or pics. How guys here can do this by themselves I have no idea.

After reading numerous posts about having extra plastic rings and washers standing by in case one is broken or lost I have decided to buy them from my local dealer just in case and then drive over to my favorite independent shop here in Windermere. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

For those thinking about buying a short shift kit for your E60 -- you have been warned. No matter, I'm sure it will all be worth this when it's installed as the only thing I dislike about my car are the old-truck-like shift lengths. "BMW, what the hell??" I have also purchased the revised CDV (?- hope I typed that right) that everyone recommends and will have the shop replace that as well at the same time. Oh, and I also have a set of Bilstein Sport shocks ready to go in too.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

yes, just pull. and pull harder and harder. Be careful that you don't knock your chin or hit the roof.

I found that I use the following method, works pretty well and won't lost control.

1. shift to natural....
2. sit and lean to the center of the car in driver's seat.
3. use right hand hold/grab the shifter knob very tight. You might want to use your left hand hold your right hand too to increase tightness.
4. adjust and your right leg knee is under your wrist.... and lift it.... Like you use your leg as jack....
Old 10-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1034975' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:04 AM
Thank you sincerely for the reply, but we actually didn't have any difficulty removing the shift knob. I had read to put it in 2nd and pull towards your chest and it came right off with a little jiggling. We were careful not to jiggle too much so that the plastic ring inside wouldn't break. I purchased a ///M leather shifter with the numbers lit in red from Bruce Miranda, so that was the easy part.
there is a clip underneath that carrier assembly that needs to be removed. it's impossible to photograph this for you, because that would require getting under the car and taking all the underbody panels off.

if you put the shifter into reverse, stick your fingers in on the bottom right side of the carrier. you should feel the bottom of the shifter and the little clip. you'll need to find a way to hold the selector rod up in place once you remove the clip, I use zip ties wrapped around a big wrench to keep the rod from falling. once you get the clip removed, and the shift rod suspended, remove the end of the rod from the shifter, then stick two flathead screwdrivers at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, and bend those tabs in- those two snap into holes in the carrier to keep the plastic bushing from rotating freely. once you've freed them sufficiently you can either rotate first and it will come right out, or yank it hard upwards and it should come out.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

I see, not the shift knob.

For the clip....
1. use the thick wire from "cloth hanger" .... make a 'L' hook. The "L" is much taller and the the right leg is very short, just for you to anchor/pull the clip.
2. use a smaller long flat screw drivers, then push into one side of clips, it will unlock it. ( The newer BMW clip locked into the center linkage (the rod) pin. The old BMW clip (in my 2002 540i6) has no suck lock, just pull will be fine. )
3. use the hook too from #1, pull it out. Be careful don't drop it. I usually don't need wire for this. I only use wire when install it.
4. Use a long big screw driver or any metal stick, separate the shifter and rod (linkage)....

If you are in SF Bayarea, I can help and show you how to do it.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='1035050' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:17 AM
there is a clip underneath that carrier assembly that needs to be removed. it's impossible to photograph this for you, because that would require getting under the car and taking all the underbody panels off.

if you put the shifter into reverse, stick your fingers in on the bottom right side of the carrier. you should feel the bottom of the shifter and the little clip. you'll need to find a way to hold the selector rod up in place once you remove the clip, I use zip ties wrapped around a big wrench to keep the rod from falling. once you get the clip removed, and the shift rod suspended, remove the end of the rod from the shifter, then stick two flathead screwdrivers at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, and bend those tabs in- those two snap into holes in the carrier to keep the plastic bushing from rotating freely. once you've freed them sufficiently you can either rotate first and it will come right out, or yank it hard upwards and it should come out.

Aaaah, see, these are the kind of details I could not find ANYwhere! Much more clear and I can picture it. Thank you very much for the write-up and I hope this helps others who do a search in the future.

I'll either try this with my friend when he returns in the near future or I'll hand it over to my mechanic to possibly save some time/frustration (in case he needs it).
Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Talking

Originally Posted by krusir' post='1035103' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:38 AM
I see, not the shift knob.

For the clip....
1. use the thick wire from "cloth hanger" .... make a 'L' hook. The "L" is much taller and the the right leg is very short, just for you to anchor/pull the clip.
2. use a smaller long flat screw drivers, then push into one side of clips, it will unlock it. ( The newer BMW clip locked into the center linkage (the rod) pin. The old BMW clip (in my 2002 540i6) has no suck lock, just pull will be fine. )
3. use the hook too from #1, pull it out. Be careful don't drop it. I usually don't need wire for this. I only use wire when install it.
4. Use a long big screw driver or any metal stick, separate the shifter and rod (linkage)....

If you are in SF Bayarea, I can help and show you how to do it.

Thanks to you too, Krusir.

Although I visit my sister there every year, I'm about 3,000 miles away in Orlando! Thanks for the generous offer.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1035150' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:31 PM
Aaaah, see, these are the kind of details I could not find ANYwhere! Much more clear and I can picture it. Thank you very much for the write-up and I hope this helps others who do a search in the future.

I'll either try this with my friend when he returns in the near future or I'll hand it over to my mechanic to possibly save some time/frustration (in case he needs it).
order 3-4 of the clips and a replacement plastic bearing. you'll likely damage the bearing on removal and you will probably drop the clip trying to get it back on. I use very thin locking pliers now to get the clip back on. they're cheap but can grind your job to a halt.

Quick Reply: Help with 530i 6M shifter removal?