DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Headlight Shields...Are they replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='485533' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:56 PM
And avoid all this banter and interplay?? Wheres the fun in that! LOL I suppose I COULD call them, it just seems so easy....
I think I can be of assistance...

I had a similar issue with my lights when I was hit by tumbling rocks/pebbles from a debris truck I was following. Lots of scratches to the lights and bumper/paint. I was able to get most of them out by simply polishing out the lights with a sandblaster at a local detail shop. My SA advised me that the only way to go would be to change the lights -- come on -- 3000K for two headlights that are working perfectly for cosmetic reasons?? dont know about you but if I had that kinda cash I'd be on the Ferrari Forum.

Bottom line - your SA will tell you to change the lights but the practical and easiest thing to do is get it into a good detail shop.....
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Okay, so I go to my local dealer today and ask if the headlight shields are replaceable, and I'm told, yes.....if I want to replace the entire assembly!!!! A couple thousand dollars for pitted headlight shields, Yeah, thats gonna happen! :thumbsdown:
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old BMW headlights can be baked in the oven for some amount of time and you can take out the front polycarbonate cover, but not with E60. I tried to remove those metal clips, but those covers did not come off at all. Those black material you see under clear lense were set and harden.
The best way is polish it. I remember on some forum that they resurface the lense with some kind of clear coat to make it as shine as new.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by my530i' post='490853' date='Nov 6 2007, 01:13 PM
Old BMW headlights can be baked in the oven for some amount of time and you can take out the front polycarbonate cover, but not with E60. I tried to remove those metal clips, but those covers did not come off at all. Those black material you see under clear lense were set and harden.
The best way is polish it. I remember on some forum that they resurface the lense with some kind of clear coat to make it as shine as new.
I suppose it's my only REAL alternative, I just need to find out where to go to get it done.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

There is an article in the December 2007 issue of Road & Track magazine which discusses this issue. They recommend a product called Novus which will restore headlight covers to "near-new status." Read the article in the magazine, page 149, and check out the Novus website at novuspolish.com.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
RJT
Members

My Ride: '04 530 "code black" 6spd- sport package- premium sound-etc black on black on black 20% front to back black out taillights black out markers ac roof spoiler ac trunk spoiler

you could try compound it should do the trick..
Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 x5 04 530i o1 x5

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='479366' date='Oct 8 2007, 06:30 PM
I recently purchased a CPO 2005 545i, and the previous owner lived in Arizona where they get more than their share of blowing sand etc. My headlight shields (foglights and windshield too) are very pitted, is there a way to replace just the plastic shield on these cars? Let me know!

http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/...ght/index.html
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributors

A couple of years ago I got European headlights from eBay.de because I wanted clear corners instead the amber reflectors, but it turned out to be non-Adaptive. So I figured that I would just switch the front lens of my headlights with the European ones so that I would keep the functionality of my oem adaptive headlights. Well, I took the metal clips off and put the headlight in the oven for 10 minutes or so (as recommended by someone on this board), but the lens still didn't come apart.......the black adhesive didn't even get soft. I was going to try a higher oven temperature or longer time in the over, but was affraid some of the plastic would melt......so I decided against it.

So the lens isn't designed to come off.....and the bigger issue is even if you were able to get the lens off you can't buy new replacement lenses from BMW. The headlights are all one piece and there isn't a separate part number for the front lens........so you HAVE to buy the entire headlight anyways.

I would just say to try one of the polishing/cleaning products recommended in the posts above. Or you can try getting the following from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com). You can go to www.bavauto.com and in the search field type "PH-DIY". I haven't used either one, so I can't recommend one or the other:

Headlight Shields...Are they replaceable?-headlight_polish.jpg
Old 01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='483999
you could try compound it should do the trick..
+1 It could save you a fortune for a new headlight shields

And here is the step by step link for re-condition ur headlights:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=54601

Hope this would help

Keith
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My thanks to everyone, I have decided to try and polish out the defects on my headlight shields. I just bought a Mother's Powerball and their plastic polish and I'll see how well it works. I'll let you all know when I'm finished how easily, (hopefully), all the scratches etc. came off.

Quick Reply: Headlight Shields...Are they replaceable?