DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

look in the DIY section there are many ways of doing it.

I've tried all of them.

So far painting with a clear lasts the longest, but even that is like a year or two depending on the paint. There is a special clear paint out there that has uv protection but it is very hard to lay flat.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Logic 7, Sport Package, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Satellite radio.

Let's see, travel to the store, stand there for a while reading labels and deciding which kit to buy, buy, drive home, read and research how to do it, then spend the time to do it. etc. That all seems like a lot of wasted time when I could get someone to do it for $50. If your time is worth $10 an hour then go for it. For me somethings are worth paying someone else to do it. This being one of them. Check craigslist, most of these guys will even travel to your office or home. Otherwise, I think most of the kits will work fine.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

Originally Posted by derrunner011and1
Let's see, travel to the store, stand there for a while reading labels and deciding which kit to buy, buy, drive home, read and research how to do it, then spend the time to do it. etc. That all seems like a lot of wasted time when I could get someone to do it for $50. If your time is worth $10 an hour then go for it. For me somethings are worth paying someone else to do it. This being one of them. Check craigslist, most of these guys will even travel to your office or home. Otherwise, I think most of the kits will work fine.
+1 think i'm going to go this route.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

I'm being lazy of course
Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally picked up a 3M Headlight restoration kit from Walmart for my driver's side xenon-AHL (faded, yellowing, ?crows-feet? at edges).

I would never have done the following if I didn't find the DIY found on 5series.net/DIY.
1. 5 torx-27 screws to undo to pull out the top of the front bumper slightly.
2. two hex nuts, and 2 torx-27 screws to pull out and completely remove the xenon-AHL.
3. 4 hours and an aching back, but results were absolutely worth it. I messed up the first time and left blotches all over the headlight, which almost made me give up in disgust. However, knowing other people had success made me retry with steady pressure/passes @ moderate-high RPMs w/ my drill. With practice, I was able to achieve an even cloudiness throughout, and buffing revealed the look I was hoping for.
4. If I looked really closely (< 4 inches away), I can still see minor scratches still in the headlight, but from 1 feet away it looks fantastic. Once I apply the home-made clear it should be perfect (spar-urethane high gloss + mineral spirits). Tonight, I'm too tired to do anything else, and just picked up Meguliar's headlight protectant as a temporary measure.

Would I pay someone $50 to do a headlight? Probably . But it was a good learning experience.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peachykonan
I finally picked up a 3M Headlight restoration kit from Walmart for my driver's side xenon-AHL (faded, yellowing, ?crows-feet? at edges).

I would never have done the following if I didn't find the DIY found on 5series.net/DIY.
1. 5 torx-27 screws to undo to pull out the top of the front bumper slightly.
2. two hex nuts, and 2 torx-27 screws to pull out and completely remove the xenon-AHL.
3. 4 hours and an aching back, but results were absolutely worth it. I messed up the first time and left blotches all over the headlight, which almost made me give up in disgust. However, knowing other people had success made me retry with steady pressure/passes @ moderate-high RPMs w/ my drill. With practice, I was able to achieve an even cloudiness throughout, and buffing revealed the look I was hoping for.
4. If I looked really closely (< 4 inches away), I can still see minor scratches still in the headlight, but from 1 feet away it looks fantastic. Once I apply the home-made clear it should be perfect (spar-urethane high gloss + mineral spirits). Tonight, I'm too tired to do anything else, and just picked up Meguliar's headlight protectant as a temporary measure.

Would I pay someone $50 to do a headlight? Probably . But it was a good learning experience.
Also did side-markers, w00t.

Adding pics:

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by peachykonan
Also did side-markers, w00t.

Adding pics:

That looks amazing, but I may have to let someone else do it for me. I just installed my scoops and mtec v3 lights and i felt like i had broken my back. That is a crazy amount of pain. LOL. but still the headlight looks very clean. I need mine to look like that
Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by healthservices
look in the DIY section there are many ways of doing it.

I've tried all of them.

So far painting with a clear lasts the longest, but even that is like a year or two depending on the paint. There is a special clear paint out there that has uv protection but it is very hard to lay flat.
I did a DIY a while ago. Clearcoat is not a paint. There isn't anything special about automobile clearcoat except it is not a paint and never has been. it will easily lay flat if atomized correctly. You do this by adjusting your spray gun. And unless you use actual clearcoat for a car...not something out of spray can, you are not doing anything for the headlight and you might as well use one of those temporary kits they sell.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by derrunner011and1
+1 lol...opportunity costs that people never take into consideration
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I cleaned my headlights using the 3M kit and they also look amazing!

My eyebrows were also full of moisture, so I managed to get rid of it and now it looks great! What a process though.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration