DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

grill removal quick and no grazed knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. Finally, after removing the grills, I was able to clear the leaves out that were trapped between the radiators. Whew....
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Sport ordered RPI scoop deleted charcoal

This worked great on my 08 550i Sport after a burst truck tire hit my front bumper and knocked one of the sensors loose. Fixed the tire marks with Meguiars scratch remover. Once the rubber lip with plastic liner is removed it gives you access to the top 3 brackets of the kidney grill (push the tab in the middle of the clip in and jiggle it loose if need be). You can pull on the top of the bumper out (1 to 2 inches) to get access to the middle clips (one of each side) on the kidney grill (these were the hardest for me)--Use a flashlight-I used the one in the glove box (held it in my mouth). Took me a few minutes to figure that I had to push the clips inwards. The 2 bottom ones came undone very easily. It's a lot quicker reinstalling the grills as it just clips in place! I then had access to the sensor and stuck it back in place. Thanks again for posting this. This really is easy to do -- you just have to have the confidence to try it
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

are you people telling the truth????????
How the hell can you lot get the lower clips off so easily??? i've tried for fu***ng days and there is no way way i can get even a 90 degree tool under the centre bit of the lower clip to pull up. The upper clips are easily done (centre bit of clip has to be pushed down) but like i said i just cant seem to get the lower clip off and its really pissing me off
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Okay, follow my instructions and this should be easy as pie. Get the top clips off. And then reach your hang into the grill, get a good firm grip, and then pull out the whole thing (hard) with your hand. I've done it this method, and not only is it fast and painless, I've yet to broke a tab.

In the past, I would try to get the side and the bottom tabs out first, but realized that it's completely needless as the yank method works perfectly fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

I am relying on you nomis_nehc. I am plasti dipping my grill so if it breaks
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

With the yank method make sure to tape the bumper area just in front of the grille surround so you don't get a nasty scratch there.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Health I assume you used my method?

I haven't failed once so far, lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Members

Now I'm really getting mad!
Exactly how hard am I supposed to 'yank'?
To be perfectly honest I had to press down quite hard with a flat head screwdriver just to unclip the top ones so just yanking it out I can't see how it will come out without braking and I don't want to break them because I want to paint them. I think i'll just order a complete new black grill and break off the current ones because I just can't 'yank' it out. This is becoming really bloody frustrating! Maybe I need to be a yank in order to yank it out lol ...... just kidding brothers!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Health I assume you used my method?

I haven't failed once so far, lol.
I tried both ways and can get them off either way.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by biggurs
Now I'm really getting mad!
Exactly how hard am I supposed to 'yank'?
To be perfectly honest I had to press down quite hard with a flat head screwdriver just to unclip the top ones so just yanking it out I can't see how it will come out without braking and I don't want to break them because I want to paint them. I think i'll just order a complete new black grill and break off the current ones because I just can't 'yank' it out. This is becoming really bloody frustrating! Maybe I need to be a yank in order to yank it out lol ...... just kidding brothers!
If you cannot get it off using the nice hard tug then you will have to go the long route removing the top bolts, did you see the other method I used to remove the grille using feeler gauges?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/105...st__p__1252248

Quick Reply: grill removal quick and no grazed knuckles