DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

grill removal quick and no grazed knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 M5 Silverstone/black/alum mods: 20" Vellano wheels, H&R spring, SS x-pipe + SS Race exhaust, hardwired V1 E60 530i - sport package, bluetooth mods: M-tech full kit, OEM M5 side mirrors, Hella smoked tail light, Formula One Classic tint 50% all around

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='277952' date='May 4 2006, 06:19 AM
Just swapped my grill for a black one and have been reading up on "how to" removal instructions on here before, but wasn't perfectly happy with what I could find, as a lot of them involved scraped fingers etc..

Well, here is how I did it. You can do it rather easy all by yourself, but for one little part it does help if you have someone giving you a quick hand (like the ugly guy in front of my car on the pic) for a few seconds only.

After taking out the lip (rubber lip on plastic liner) that seems to be the bonnet seal on top of your grills (it just pops out) you can see the top clips of the grills. Prise them down and push towards you, so they are not locked anymore. (3 each side)

Now with a Torx 30 undo the 5 screws that hold your front apron on the top

you can now easily move it forward between 1 and 2 inch, so you can get behind it to release the clips towards the center and also the ones to the outside. There are 3 clips on top, one to the centre, one to the outside and 2 at the bottom of the grill. the two bottom clips now come out easy, too, and the complete grill slides out to the front.

Refix your 5 screws on top of apron, slide and clip in the new grills, put the sealer lip back on and that's it.

Took me 20 minutes.
i am giving up. I tried to take off the grill and no luck. Did all of the above steps but it's just too hard to pull that damn clip off!
I am afraid if I pull it off too hard, I'll break the clips. Any suggestion?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by snikt21' post='407323' date='Mar 26 2007, 05:04 PM
i am giving up. I tried to take off the grill and no luck. Did all of the above steps but it's just too hard to pull that damn clip off!
I am afraid if I pull it off too hard, I'll break the clips. Any suggestion?
i saw the eurorev guys do it, but a little force needs to be used to pull. but do it with care!!! ive been driving my car grill-less for the last 5 days..being painted matte black!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

looks like your missing a few teeth.

I guess i got lucky mine went smooth. removed the one grill then reached my hand thru the side of the removed one to get the last clips on the remaining grill....good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Members

Awesome tip!

Got the grille on and off, all complete, fingers all together, in about 15 minutes!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

How do you take the rubber lip on plastic liner? Do you need any tools to pull it out? I was kind of afraid to pull harder, it seem pretty tough to get it off.. any suggestion? Thanks in advance..

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='277952' date='May 5 2006, 01:19 AM
Just swapped my grill for a black one and have been reading up on "how to" removal instructions on here before, but wasn't perfectly happy with what I could find, as a lot of them involved scraped fingers etc..

Well, here is how I did it. You can do it rather easy all by yourself, but for one little part it does help if you have someone giving you a quick hand (like the ugly guy in front of my car on the pic) for a few seconds only.

After taking out the lip (rubber lip on plastic liner) that seems to be the bonnet seal on top of your grills (it just pops out) you can see the top clips of the grills. Prise them down and push towards you, so they are not locked anymore. (3 each side)

Now with a Torx 30 undo the 5 screws that hold your front apron on the top

you can now easily move it forward between 1 and 2 inch, so you can get behind it to release the clips towards the center and also the ones to the outside. There are 3 clips on top, one to the centre, one to the outside and 2 at the bottom of the grill. the two bottom clips now come out easy, too, and the complete grill slides out to the front.

Refix your 5 screws on top of apron, slide and clip in the new grills, put the sealer lip back on and that's it.

Took me 20 minutes.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Brodie' post='420856' date='May 3 2007, 09:43 PM
How do you take the rubber lip on plastic liner? Do you need any tools to pull it out? I was kind of afraid to pull harder, it seem pretty tough to get it off.. any suggestion? Thanks in advance..
It should just slide right off.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='420861' date='May 4 2007, 02:25 PM
It should just slide right off.
I did it!! I was afraid that I was going to break something but it snap right off.. THANK YOU for an outstanding post. It was very helpful...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE, Land Rover Freelaner 2.5 V6

Bought genuine Chrome grilles today from the main dealer and in the excitement couldnt wait to fit them at home using the valuable instructions posted, I foolishly attempted to fit them whilst at work!!!

OUCH!!!!! bloodied fingers and 20 mins of frustration getting the first grille off, then plane sailing

Looks much better now
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE, Land Rover Freelaner 2.5 V6

My hands still hurt (proably serves me right for not using your instructions)

Here is Before & After pics

BEFORE

AFTER

Well pleased !!

Noticed some genuine chrome grilles on ebay (damn site cheaper than the dealer prices I paid!!!)
Old 05-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Installed color matched Jet Black Kidneys today. Heres the results. DIY very helpful thanks.
Attached Thumbnails grill removal quick and no grazed knuckles-black_grill.jpg  

Quick Reply: grill removal quick and no grazed knuckles