DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60; Black/Black; Black Tint 20%; Smoked Tail lights; All Red-Light Interior; Sports/Premium Package; Navigation

Hey Guys,

I followed the instructions on how to remove the grill so I can paint it black. I even saw the picture where someone's hand was able to get behind the grill.

I was able to remove the Top & Bottom Clips, but how the hell do you remove the 2 clips on the sides???

The grill is actually pretty tricky to remove. PLEASE HELP!

e
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

After removing the weather strip it was easy to gain access to the top tabs ...but it was a tricky grabbing a hold of the bottom and side tabs ..if I recall correctly I did every tab individually.

Once I was able to unlock 1 side tab I moved to the next tab over and so on ..until the entire grill was removed. I started from the top tabs to the inner center tabs to the lower ones and so on. but yes it wasn't as easy. GL
Old 03-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

welcome aboard, trace076 !
Old 03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Members

My Ride: e60; Black/Black; Black Tint 20%; Smoked Tail lights; All Red-Light Interior; Sports/Premium Package; Navigation

Thanks guys. I think my hands will fall off if I'm able to remove all the tabs. I'm worried that I may damage them in the process.

Do you have pics of what you guys did to your grills?

e
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

Originally Posted by trace076' date='Mar 31 2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys.? I think my hands will fall off if I'm able to remove all the tabs.? I'm worried that I may damage them in the process.

Do you have pics of what you guys did to your grills?

e
[snapback]109405[/snapback]

Hey guys

Are you actually thinking of painting your grill ??? I've been trying to find a Black grill online for teh past 6 months and dont dare to paint mine black

did anybody try it already ?
what kind of paint did u use ?
doesnt the paint peel off after a while ??

thx
Old 04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

If I can remove the dam grill.... , I will paint it black. I already smoked out my tail lights to match with my black 360. It looks nice. The paint I used on the tail lights is the same that I'll use for the grill. Just go to a hobby store and buy Testors or Model Masters. For the grill, you just need to spray a black primer and then spray a black glossy or matte coat.

e
Old 04-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Originally Posted by trace076' date='Apr 1 2005, 04:32 PM
If I can remove the dam grill.... , I will paint it black.? I already smoked out my tail lights to match with my black 360.? It looks nice.? The paint I used on the tail lights is the same that I'll use for the grill.? Just go to a hobby store and buy Testors or Model Masters.? For the grill, you just need to spray a black primer and then spray a black glossy or matte coat.

e
[snapback]109962[/snapback]
does it look better,or is it just to personlise?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, trace076 !
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Members

Thanks Alohalc Thanks to you guys, I was able to make my e60 looked all tinted out black. I just need to get some affordable Black Rims with the Silver Lip. I have a newborn baby and wife and they will kick my ass if I spend on my e60.

e
Old 04-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Apr 1 2005, 02:02 PM
[quote name='trace076' date='Apr 1 2005, 04:32 PM']If I can remove the dam grill.... , I will paint it black.? I already smoked out my tail lights to match with my black 360.? It looks nice.? The paint I used on the tail lights is the same that I'll use for the grill.? Just go to a hobby store and buy Testors or Model Masters.? For the grill, you just need to spray a black primer and then spray a black glossy or matte coat.

e
[snapback]109962[/snapback]
does it look better,or is it just to personlise?
[snapback]109971[/snapback]
[/quote]

It depends what you like. Blackening out the grill makes it personalized, but also can make it look sporty. At the same time, Chroming the grill (if you don't have the 545 makes it look classy because it matches with the chrome "eyelids" above the headlights. I am not sure if I will still go through with it. Does anyone have any pics of a black e60 with a black grill??? I would like to see how it looks or else I will just chrome out the grill.

Johno, I used the Model Masters on my tail lights and it worked great.

e

Quick Reply: Grill