DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Good wiper fluid pump, does fluid flow when power off

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

2004 530i.

My wiper fluid pump on the reservoir has a slow leak. I looked at it this afternoon and the outlet nozzle appears to be the source of the leak. The pump grommet appears fine and dry. The leak source is higher than the grommet (fluid does not flow up naturally). I removed the elbow from the outlet nozzle, caught the fluid drainage and applied some Teflon to the pump outlet nozzle and re-installed the elbow. (The elbow appears to be integral with the hose and cannot be removed for a simple replacement.) The fluid pump is no longer powering up, but the wipers do. Fuses # 11, 16, 27 are fine.

I did not think to check the pump operation prior to servicing. It worked a few days ago. Perhaps the fact that fluid was draining readily via gravity from the pump outlet nozzle when the elbow was removed indicated that the pump was bad?

I can get a new pump for about $30, so it's no biggie. However, if my pump is good and there is a relay issue, then a new pump won't solve my inoperative pump issue. The bright side is that the leak has stopped. Electrical connector on pump is firm and untouched.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Pump is getting power, only on the first spray. There is no fluid spray at the hood, I unplugged the elbow from the outlet nozzle and fluid flows out, so there is no clog. Somehow the vehicle is detecting an inoperative pump and won't run the pump again, until ignition off and on. Interesting.

I will pick up a new pump tomorrow. Thanks for reading