DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Glovebox Flashlight Charging Socket

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:
Smile

Hiya,

Hope we're all rested after Christmas?

I've sourced an Auxillary Power Connector which hooks up to the rechargeable socket
in the glovebox. I had the presence of 12v verified by my dealer when he installed the
Aux-In (which works just great) and now I want to connect my iPod in-car charger.

Trouble is, I expected that the socket cover would just pull off, but no matter how hard I
wiggle it, it's not moving. I don't want to tug too hard in case I break it - so there must be
a catch release somewhere.

Any idea's ... ??

HNY

Glovebox Flashlight Charging Socket-glovebox2.jpg
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 AM
Members

Andy

It just slides up to reveal the socket, don't know if it comes off or not or even if it needs to come off as it looks like the thing is designed to be pushed up out of the way as you plug in the adapter.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='216722' date='Dec 29 2005, 11:40 AM
Hiya,

I've sourced an Auxillary Power Connector which hooks up to the rechargeable socket
in the glovebox. I had the presence of 12v verified by my dealer when he installed the
Aux-In (which works just great) and now I want to connect my iPod in-car charger.

Trouble is, I expected that the socket cover would just pull off, but no matter how hard I
wiggle it, it's not moving. I don't want to tug too hard in case I break it - so there must be

Any idea's ... ??

HNY

Attachment 13725
Old 01-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by qosfc' post='216732
Hiya,

Any idea's ... ??

HNY

Attachment 13725
[/quote]
this flaqshlight socket is a 2 pin plug socket,you plug in your torch push straight in to fit.
there is an adaptor that is availanbe from bmw or ebay or web www...europautoparts.com delivered to uk $18.80 usd.
this is an aux socket for <3amp load enables connection via a cigar socket on a flying lead.plug and play do not exceed the load though .a simple way of doing a connection hidden in glove box
if you removethe plastic footwellunder glove box 3 screws and 2 in tunnel it will allow you to remove the panel and access the rear of this socket.removal....undo all screws push panel to front of car then drop top under glove box and pull from the clips at front of footwell pulling from tunnel area at 45degrees first.it may need the door verticle trim panel removing or pulling of a little.this is held by 2 clips prise of gently from inner top releasing the top first wiil be enough.
then you could tap into whit/red 12v+ brown 12-v on back of socket. the socket has a release 2 pin connector so squeeze together to release and pull out,allows access to the wires.