DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Fuel filter & microfilter - 2008 520d LCI (N47 engine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just picked up a 2008 520d se LCI. It's the N47 engine.

I've done and oil (castrol edge 5w 30), oil filter and air filter change. In fairness to BMW, all extremely assessible. However, I cannot locate the fuel filter?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As i understand it, it is self priming and the ignition should be turned on for approx. 1 minute before starting after the filter has been replaced (correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, I hear people talking about microfilters. Can anyone tell me what these are, if my car has them, and if so where are they located.

Thank you
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i. Bluetooth upgrade, SS brake lines, iPod interface upgrade. Air intake kit, sport suspension, 20% tint. Other: 2001 Audi A4 Avant: S4 suspension, 20% tint, painted calipers, slotted rotors, iPod interface, custom grilles.

Originally Posted by colm
Hi All,

Just picked up a 2008 520d se LCI. It's the N47 engine.

I've done and oil (castrol edge 5w 30), oil filter and air filter change. In fairness to BMW, all extremely assessible. However, I cannot locate the fuel filter?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As i understand it, it is self priming and the ignition should be turned on for approx. 1 minute before starting after the filter has been replaced (correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, I hear people talking about microfilters. Can anyone tell me what these are, if my car has them, and if so where are they located.

Thank you

Not 100% sure on your car, but I think the fuel filter is in the gas tank. I would recommend changing it every 40-60K (just based on personal experience). In regards to the micro filters...they are also commonly referred to as cabin filters. The are located under the hood up by the fire wall. They are extremely easy to get to. You have one on both sides and are covered up by a plastic housing. You remove the plastic housing by turning a plastic bolt 1/4 turn (to unlock it) and lifting the metal braket on the other side of the filter cover. Then, the cover just pulls right off and you can change the micro-filter. The micro-filter's job it to make sure the air that is coming into the car is clean and free from air born contaminants. You can generally find them in two types. One is just paper, the other is charcoal. The charcoal filters, although more expensive, are better filters and will prevent poor odor from entering the vehicle. I purchased my from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com). Is a super easy job that generally takes about 5-10 minutes for each side if it's your first time. You'll need a 10mm ratchet for the 1/4 turn (I think 10mm, something close to that - maybe a little bigger) .

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toddstebleton
Not 100% sure on your car, but I think the fuel filter is in the gas tank. I would recommend changing it every 40-60K (just based on personal experience). In regards to the micro filters...they are also commonly referred to as cabin filters. The are located under the hood up by the fire wall. They are extremely easy to get to. You have one on both sides and are covered up by a plastic housing. You remove the plastic housing by turning a plastic bolt 1/4 turn (to unlock it) and lifting the metal braket on the other side of the filter cover. Then, the cover just pulls right off and you can change the micro-filter. The micro-filter's job it to make sure the air that is coming into the car is clean and free from air born contaminants. You can generally find them in two types. One is just paper, the other is charcoal. The charcoal filters, although more expensive, are better filters and will prevent poor odor from entering the vehicle. I purchased my from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com). Is a super easy job that generally takes about 5-10 minutes for each side if it's your first time. You'll need a 10mm ratchet for the 1/4 turn (I think 10mm, something close to that - maybe a little bigger) .

Good luck!

I believe in our cars the fuel filter is way under in the middle of the car
is defiantely not as easy as removing the fuel filter in other cars as ours is more complex , i believe you will have to disconnect the batter etc. etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Members

Thanks guys,

I changed the fuel filter. It is a straight forward job, suitable for anyone who takes on routine servicing.

Mine is the N47 model, and the filter is located under the car (beneath the passengers seat). The slowest part of the job is removing the plastic under tray, which has about 15 screws.

These were the steps I used to replace the filter:
. remove plastic undertray
. slacken the jubile clip on the engine side of the filter
. remove the holding pin on the fuel tank side of the filter (just pops out with your fingers)
. remove the clamp which holds the filter in place (torx)
. then drop out the filter, and do the reverse to replace
. refit the plastic housing
. this car is self priming (thankfully), so just turn the ignition on for 60 secs and you are good to go

My car now has 30k miles, and I will be doing oil & filter every 6k, air filter every 12k, and fuel filter every 24k. Microfilters will depend on condition, the current ones are 14k old, and not in need of replacing.

On this LCI model, the air filter costs ?57 from BMW. Scandal. I'll be using the europarts website for oil & air filters in future. Fuel filters i will get from BMW.

Colm.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Is this the location for the fuel filter on all E60's? I thought they were located inside the fuel tank
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Is this the location for the fuel filter on all E60's? I thought they were located inside the fuel tank
well I spoke to a chap that replaced a fuel filter on a pre-LCI 520d, and the fuel filter on that car was back at the rear wheel.
can't speak for any other models/versions