DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Frontal Brake Pad Noise (Squeeking)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I have been having an issue with my front brake pads making this horrible noise when attempting to come to a complete stop. I went to the dealership and they said the noise is occurring due to the sensor on the drivers side grinding from the brake pads (apparently used to measure the amount of life left on the pads), I went ahead and changed them using ceramic brakes since they were previously semi-metallic. Even after changing the brakes myself, lubing them up, changing the sensor and putting the brakes back together the noise is still going strong. I'm thinking the issue is with the rooters, possibly need to change them? But the funny thing is, the computer on the car states that previously my brake pads had over 12,000 miles left on them. Would resurfacing the rooters be a good idea or complete change them?

Thank you so much! I'll appreciate any suggestions, going back to work on my beemer.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ramy_A
Hey Everyone,

I have been having an issue with my front brake pads making this horrible noise when attempting to come to a complete stop. I went to the dealership and they said the noise is occurring due to the sensor on the drivers side grinding from the brake pads (apparently used to measure the amount of life left on the pads), I went ahead and changed them using ceramic brakes since they were previously semi-metallic. Even after changing the brakes myself, lubing them up, changing the sensor and putting the brakes back together the noise is still going strong. I'm thinking the issue is with the rooters, possibly need to change them? But the funny thing is, the computer on the car states that previously my brake pads had over 12,000 miles left on them. Would resurfacing the rooters be a good idea or complete change them?

Thank you so much! I'll appreciate any suggestions, going back to work on my beemer.
If rotors and pads are not changed together then you need to scuff the rotors and pads.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

is so funny...i was also today at the dealer for the same problem..i got exactly the same answer...weird ...
i have 30k on my car...and the mecanic sugest..to do for 600$ change the all 4 wheels brake pads...or( the perfect job he call it) the rotors and pads for all 4 wheels for 1400$...what i should do?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by stel_i79
is so funny...i was also today at the dealer for the same problem..i got exactly the same answer...weird ...
i have 30k on my car...and the mecanic sugest..to do for 600$ change the all 4 wheels brake pads...or( the perfect job he call it) the rotors and pads for all 4 wheels for 1400$...what i should do?

i'd stick with the oem pads and rotors. the combination works great. the drawback is brake dust. using ceramic pads like the previous poster mentioned, will reduce brake performance, but they are less dusty. the bmw rotors arent really designed to be turned. they're usually just replaced by the dealers.
you should sand/scuff up the old rotors if you plan on re-using them.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Try bedding-in the brakes before changing anything.
Bed-in Instruction. Good luck .
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Ramy_A
Hey Everyone,

It's possible that the sensor is not positioned correctly. It may be stuck in between the pad and rotor and not into the slot on the pad itself.

I had this same problem immediately after changing out my pads and rotors. I pulled my sensor out and re-positioned it and all went well. Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Members

Try resurfacing the rotor at a machine shop it should cost that much
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

BMW doesnt believe in Anti-seize, I had a l squeeling problem and it was the "anti rattle" clips. Pop those out add some anti-seize to the tips and put em back in, Now if you can take the caliper off pop the pads out and take a can of brake cleaner and lightly spray around rotor and pads. anti-seize anywhere there is metal on metal contact, then take some light grease and grease the sliding pins. Reassemble and it should nip most of your problems