DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

First retrofits: Navi Pro & IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Hi

Just wanted to share my weekend worth of retrofit - the first on my '03 520. After reading through a massive amounts of posts in the forum, and talking to BenAnd for advice, I decided to go for the Navi Pro install, and added the IPOD interface while I was at it.

I bought the nav parts used from EBay, and the IPOD new from Ebay. Now that it is done, I must say that it is actually really easy. The car did not have the Business nav, nor CD changer, so it was a virgin install on both parts.

As others have pointed out, the I-Drive high is the most trouble-some. I think that part alone took 2 hours

After the install, most was functional right away - but my Bluetooth did not work. So coding was needed. Fortunately BenAnd pointed me to a local danish expert, so I didn't have to deal with BMW. So today, the coding was done, which took a little more than 3 hours. But now I have the latest SW, and everything is working perfect.

Only one thing left to do: I need to go to BMW and get the Voice Control activation code - which I understand is pretty pricey.... But, I have to have it

Thanks to everybody who has willingly shared their experience in this area, and expecially to BenAnd who patiently has helped me with all the silly questions.

For others who are looking to do this, I'd say: Go for it I have attached the two guides I have used for the install - they where all that was needed. Only thing I did not do according to the instructions where to fit the GPS antenna in the shark fin. I decided to place it in the space where the center speaker for the Logic 7 is supposed to go (which I do not have). Works perfect!

nav_install_EBA.pdfIPOD_no_prewire.pdf

/thomassteen
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Well done! Glad to know that everything worked out as planned. Thanks for the info and share some pictures of the end result.