DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Faulty license plate light error leads to trunk fix.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

So about a year ago I came on here asking what could be wrong if my trunk doesn't open with the remote key button or the trunk button inside the salon, and people would answer that I need to turn off valet option...that didn't work. I checked all the fuses and they were ok. I thought there might be something wrong with the trunk lock and I took it out and plaid around with it, opening it manually, and basically left it the way it was, as I don't use the trunk much and it's not worth the money to take it to the mechanic who'll play around with electronics for hours and charge me $300.

Last week, I got a service message that my right license plate light went out. It was weird at first, as the message would go away several times, and then come on permanently. Well, can't leave this one alone as this could be a reason for a traffic stop at night, which could lead to a DUI (I've seen it all too much, a DUI resulting from tinted windows or broken headlight).

So, I bought a $5 license plate light bulb from a dealer and installed it, and it didn't work. I swapped the whole license plate light assembly from left to right, and the right one still didn't work. It wasn't the light bulb. I also noticed that the light bulb inside my trunk cover wasn't working either. I then squeezed the thick stack of wires running from the trunk to the main line in several places, and the right license plate light would come on several times.

That's when I realized that something's wrong with the wiring and the wires must be severed in several places, and that this could also be the reason the trunk didn't respond electronically.

I cut open the black electric tape that covered the stack of wires and there it was: SIX wires were severed apart and the insulated was starting to come off on the remaining three. This was at the corner of the trunk arm through which the wire stack runs, where it sits inside that black rubber housing. I went to Menards and local auto store to pick up differeng gauge wires, wire cutter and stripper, zip ties, etc. Spliced all the wires together, and WOW, everything works, the trunk and the license plate light. Packed everything down tightly the way it was and there we go, saved a good $300-$400, or maybe $800 if I took it to the "stealer"...because the biggest part of the fix is diagnosing a problem. Because the trunk moves up and down often, depending how much you use it, it pinches those wires if packed incorrectly and creates friction, eventually severing the wires.

I'm no car mechanic, I don't know much about engines or electronics. But I love working with my hands, I can do basic maintenace on my bike, oil changes, chain tightening, spark plugs...so I decided to start messing around with the car. Last week I changed the spark plugs at 77,000, put in NGK iridiums, and also the K&N air filter...car runs like new, I feel good difference in how it starts and accellerates. My next probject will be to learn how to change the oil and break pads.

So to anyone who's having lights go out in the trunk or trunk not opening through remote key button or salon, definitely check your trunk wire stack. If you find wires severed, DON"T go out buying a new wire stack..it's hectic to disconnect it in one of the places inside the trunk cover, where it leads to hand-open assembly..just can't get in there. Just splice the wires together with a connecting wire, wire splice connectors, and cover with electrical tape... Such a feeling of accomplishment...did some productive, enjoyed doing it, and saved tons of $$$.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Way to go. Glad to hear you finally got the trunk problem fixed. Well done.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i had that happen to an old cadillac i had. the wire loom to the driver door had some cut wires, and my power window would only work if the door was open.