Go Back  5Series.net - Forums > Information > DIY: Do It Yourself
Reload this Page >

Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery

DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package
Default What is the Amp Hour (Ah) Rating on Duralast Gold 95R DLG?

Hello Fellow Members,

I installed the Duralast 95R DLG battery in my '06 550i. It's a perfect fit and seems to be working fine. I registered it with the Carly for BMW phone app and its generation 2 adapter. I told Carly it was 90Ah AGM, which was an estimate, given that AUTOZONE/Duralast does not provide that information. Does anybody happen to know the actual amp hour rating of this AGM battery? Thx.

Psam550

Last edited by psam550; 11-04-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 9 BMWs E70, E61, (2)E93, E39M5, (2) E28M5, (2)2002. 14 prior BMWs

I have had an Autozone battery (exact fit) in my 535ix wagon for about a year and a half now. It replaced an original BMW battery. I registered it when it was installed. The car has occasionally shown signs that it does not like the battery, namely the clock reset on occasion. Now, after just a year and a half, the clock resets every time I get in the car...the BMW induced annoying telltale that the battery is no longer perfect.

I went over to my local BMW dealer to see if they would sell me a battery but they flat out won't. They claim that they need to see the exact battery that is in the car in order to match it and that has to be done by their service department. (i.e. pay $150 so they can tell you what battery you need or $400 for a replacement battery.) What sleazebags. Fortunately, I still have the old battery sitting on a shelf. I might just take it over there and say "Here, sell me this."

So....these third party batteries seem to work great, but they might be short lived. If I'm going to replace my battery non-BMW every 18 months, it might make sense to just buy the BMW battery and have it last 5+ years like my original one did.

Those of you who are using the non-BMW batteries, how long have you had them and how are they holding up?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by skippy99 View Post
I have had an Autozone battery (exact fit) in my 535ix wagon for about a year and a half now. It replaced an original BMW battery. I registered it when it was installed. The car has occasionally shown signs that it does not like the battery, namely the clock reset on occasion. Now, after just a year and a half, the clock resets every time I get in the car...the BMW induced annoying telltale that the battery is no longer perfect.

I went over to my local BMW dealer to see if they would sell me a battery but they flat out won't. They claim that they need to see the exact battery that is in the car in order to match it and that has to be done by their service department. (i.e. pay $150 so they can tell you what battery you need or $400 for a replacement battery.) What sleazebags. Fortunately, I still have the old battery sitting on a shelf. I might just take it over there and say "Here, sell me this."

So....these third party batteries seem to work great, but they might be short lived. If I'm going to replace my battery non-BMW every 18 months, it might make sense to just buy the BMW battery and have it last 5+ years like my original one did.

Those of you who are using the non-BMW batteries, how long have you had them and how are they holding up?
I replaced mine with Interstate battery MTP-H9 back in October 2011 at about 783xx miles. Now, Interstate battery is still running strong at 132xxx miles.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 528xi black on black
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N52
Talking

Hi everyone!
I just have registered here after reading this awesome thread!!

My 8years old OEM Exide battery was getting weak about 2 years ago but I am sucking a last drop of juice out of it by hooking it up to my battery tender every other day.
Yes, I had a numerous lack of power before, so I had to ask people for a jump many times (I am carrying jumper cables with me all the time lol)
Finally it is time to replace it because this winter I need a reliable start finally. I Like the Duralast Gold 95R DLG but also I am considering Interstate MTP 95R
Which one will be better in your opinion?
Sorry for my English grammar, I hope it's not that bad
Old 11-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Welcome to the forum! Buy the battery that gives you the best warranty and most closely matches the specs of your current battery. If anything is different, be sure to register it.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Welcome to the forum! Buy the battery that gives you the best warranty and most closely matches the specs of your current battery. If anything is different, be sure to register it.
Hi JayArras. Thanks! Yes that's right, I agree here. Duralast 95R DLG has a matching CCA which is 850 but it doesn't say anything about Amp hours (Ah) on the tag and I need 110Ah, Interstate MTP 95R-H9 matches both Ah and CCA. Warranty is pretty much the same 36 months on Duralast vs 30 months on Interstate. I will probably buy Duralast 95R DLG but we will see.
I dont have any experience with Autozone batterries and I am not convinced if this will be a good battery..? I've replaced a battery in my wife's Lexus IS250 about six years ago and it is still going strong as new. It was a DIE Hard Gold from SEARS - highly recommended battery but I cant find any counterpart to fit above specs.

I see that you are located in Connecticut, so question to you my friend: Could you recommend a good BMW shop/garage around? My valve cover gasket has a pretty bad leak (very common issue as you probably know) but this is a whole diff story.

I appreciate your contribution to this!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

I live downstate in Fairfield County, so I'm an hour away from you. The indie I use would be too far to travel for you. I'm sorry, but I don't know of who to recommend in your area, but you can try looking up someone on this list:

https://www.bimmershops.com/

I would not hesitate to buy a Duralast battery. In fact, that's what I have. I purchased it online for about $150 and picked it up in the store. Registration cost me $40, so I was good to go for under $200.00.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 PM
New Members

Yeah I think I will give a chance to Duralast. Can't go wrong with their 3 year free replacement so there is nothing to loose.
I will put the car on the charger once a week anyways as this is my routine now and I can't go a few days without it LOL!
My new battery will be the luckiest thing ever

Thank you for the bmw shops link
Old 11-25-2017, 01:30 PM
New Members

Ok, so here it is. I've purchased Duralast Gold 95-R DLG today before noon. Brought it home, hooked up to my reliable battery tender and now is almost 6pm and still red light is on (means it is still charging).
The new battery was 12.55V right off the shelf. Even my old junk battery (still original BMW Exide in trunk) had at least 80% after 3-4 hours of charge (green light blinking means it is around 75-80% charged)

Battery tender is 100% working good.

I'll keep charging overnight, if the green light won't show up in the morning I will have to return it to Autozone and get a little more expensive Interstate.

Edit: ''The eye'' inside the battery that should indicate green, was never green when I took it from the shelf, even after 6 hours of charging it doesn't appear to be even close to that color ;((

Edit2: Scratch all the above! My new Duralast is around 80% full. Tomorrow or Monday I will install it in my ''baby''

Last edited by boss22; 11-25-2017 at 03:54 PM.