DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

emergency need help with Sprintbooster install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='484828' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:27 PM
ok i've just taken it apart again and plugged it back in, i dont know what happen but the error message went away. But the yellow sign is still on (I think this is the engine oil level sign?) Is this a problem?
Cool. When you say yellow sign do you mean the small yellow triangle with the exclamation point ?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='484828' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:27 PM
ok i've just taken it apart again and plugged it back in, i dont know what happen but the error message went away. But the yellow sign is still on (I think this is the engine oil level sign?) Is this a problem?
Does your Sprint Booster have an "A" at the end of the serial number? This would be for Automatic. I'm wondering if you have the manual version...

This is odd, but it sounds like the connection is not 100%. I know you've tried playing with it back and forth, but something seems off... I had zero issues the first time I plugged it in.

Let me ask you this...when you tried getting the OEM connection apart, did you use a lot of force? I'm wondering if you jarred something loose upon trying to take it apart, the first time around. Just a thought...

If you plug the stock connectors back together, do you get any error messages? Does the car run and feel like it did before you installed the SB? I'm just trying to work backwards and find the source for you.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='484838' date='Oct 22 2007, 08:05 PM
Does your Sprint Booster have an "A" at the end of the serial number? This would be for Automatic. I'm wondering if you have the manual version...

Yeah my SB does have the 'A' on the back of the series label, I checked this before I installed the SB on.

This is odd, but it sounds like the connection is not 100%. I know you've tried playing with it back and forth, but something seems off... I had zero issues the first time I plugged it in.

Let me ask you this...when you tried getting the OEM connection apart, did you use a lot of force? I'm wondering if you jarred something loose upon trying to take it apart, the first time around. Just a thought...

If you plug the stock connectors back together, do you get any error messages? Does the car run and feel like it did before you installed the SB? I'm just trying to work backwards and find the source for you.
The sign is not the triangle with exclamation mark symbol. It's the one that look like a pipe or something like that, I believe this is the oil sign since I check the iDrive's system list and it looked very similar to the Measuring Oil option sign. This sign didn't appear until I tried installing the SB, so I'm not sure what caused it to go on.

The error seems to have been fixed, I dont know what the cause was and all I did was plug and unplug it several times and try turning the car on each time until the error was fixed (sounds stupid, but it worked )

When I tried unplugging the OEM connection apart, I made sure I was holding on to the hard plastic cover, not the cables. At first I was struggling trying to unplug it, but I managed to take it apart after a few tries. I don't think I've damaged any of the cables. The only concern that I have is probably when I pushed the SB connector to the OEM connector, I pressed on the back of the cables where the cable connect to the surface of the hard casing, for a firm lock.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Oh and yeah, mine does have the 'A' on the back of the series label. I made sure to check this before I installed it.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

This is the sign i'm talking about which still turns on when i start my car. I hope the picture helps... anyone know what this sign means?
Attached Thumbnails emergency need help with Sprintbooster install-sign.jpg  
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='484863' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:16 PM
This is the sign i'm talking about which still turns on when i start my car. I hope the picture helps... anyone know what this sign means?

my car had it too. check how straight the pins are and make sure everything is tight and secure.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='484866' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:28 PM
my car had it too. check how straight the pins are and make sure everything is tight and secure.
So is this still a problem? Is there any risk on keeping the car going as it is right now? Man, I don't want to go through all those work and error messages again.... *sigh*

The weird thing is that when I press the CHECK engine button (Top left Lever of the steering wheel), it says that all Systems are Ok...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

Ok I did a little research and checked the Instructions Manual and came up with this... This is the symbol which have been going off each time I start the car...

I think the Sprintbooster is conflicting with my ECU because it thinks that I'm over pressing the pedals excessively. I'm pretty sure with my installment... should I bring my car to a BMW dealer for a service check?
Attached Thumbnails emergency need help with Sprintbooster install-untitled.jpg  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

So the light goes away if you remove the SB? One of the M5 guys tried the SB on his car and when he removed it, he got a check engine light but it went away after a few hours.

I'm not sure about your case. So far, there have been members who have experienced all the lights coming on because they plugged the SB in wrong or due to a bent pin but if you've checked all that then I'm not sure what the problem could be.

If you bring it to the dealer, I would remove the SB and just tell them you saw that warning light and wanted to get it checked out. I brought my car in for service today and I removed the SB.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='485045' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:05 AM
So the light goes away if you remove the SB? One of the M5 guys tried the SB on his car and when he removed it, he got a check engine light but it went away after a few hours.

I'm not sure about your case. So far, there have been members who have experienced all the lights coming on because they plugged the SB in wrong or due to a bent pin but if you've checked all that then I'm not sure what the problem could be.

If you bring it to the dealer, I would remove the SB and just tell them you saw that warning light and wanted to get it checked out. I brought my car in for service today and I removed the SB.
K this is weird. Today, the check engine light has finally turn off. I've driven the car for about 30 mins with the check engine light still turned on. When I turned on the car again about an hour later after the drive, the check engine light didn't go off I'm a bit suprised, since I didn't really do anything. It just went away by itself... oh and btw the Sprintbooster is still installed, I didn't take it off yet.

Now, I'm just afraid that in the future if I try to unplug and plug it in again incase I have to bring it to the dealer for a service check, I'm going to get the same problem.

Quick Reply: emergency need help with Sprintbooster install