DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E61 545i Drive Belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

I can see how to replace the main outer drive belt for water pump, power steering pump and alternator - apply leverage via large torx key in belt tensioner and remove belt. Probably wise to make a diagramatic layout sketch before hand to assist on reassembly. I have done belt replacement on an E39 525i which is more difficult with fan removal etc.

But the inner air conditioning belt does not have a tensioner to relax. I don't imagine that the belt is simply cut off and a new one rolled on by attaching first one end to A/C pulley and rotating other end onto crank shaft pulley as this could damage the belt. Loosening the A/C compressor mounting might be the way - does anyone know the proper procedure?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Members

There is not a tensioner for the a/c compressor. After you cut off the old belt, you start the new as you discribed and then you attach a special tool to the a/c compressor pulley and then rotate the crankshaft - presto, it slips right into place. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it works. I did not have the special tool required - I made one by modifying a small tube cutter.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Members

I have managed to find information (basically as previous post - thanks) as per attached poor quality pdf. It makes me wonder that if you can pull the belt off as instructed, whether a replacement could be wound on pressing and keeping edge of belt on A/C pulley in place as the engine pulley is cranked round at central bolt.

Come to think of it, I have an old tube cutter for copper pipes with cutter and two rollers that can removed that might work if it doesn't get in the way of anything. Also some miniature 'G' clamps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Replacing_AC_Drive_Belt.pdf (2.44 MB, 344 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Contributors

You don't need to cut any belts in order to remove them. I changed my alternator earlier today and replaced both the a/c belt and the alternator belt as well. It is exactly how you explained it with your e39. You will use a torx socket to relieve tension on the belt. One for each belt. You will not be able to see the torx bolt until you pop the caps off of the tensioners that cover the torx bolts.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Contributors

I removed my fan when doing this because the alternator had to go. I'm not sure if you have to remove the fan or not to replace only the belts. If you didn't it would be a pretty tight fit atleast from what I remember with my M54 engine
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Members

bmdub, my E61 N62 V8 does not have an A/C belt tensioner nor a water pump driven viscous fan like your M54 (or my previous E39) may have. So there is a bit more room, in fact I believe there is enough room for a V10.

The tensioner on the N62 requires either a T60 or T70 Torx Star 1/2" drive bit (mine are by Draper). I haven't yet done this, but on my E39 M54 the tensioners were relaxed with a hex socket and a drill bit inserted through lined up holes to hold in place. This enabled two hands free to remove and reinstal belts. BMW suggest that the relaxed tensioner is secured with a special tool - a drill bit of the correct size might suffice.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

Here are some pictures of the tool I made and how it works - hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails E61 545i Drive Belts-dsc03409.jpg   E61 545i Drive Belts-dsc03410.jpg  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Members

Excellent tool! In practice it has to be over the belt to force it on when you turn the crank pulley. I have managed to get better PDF of the official instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Replacing Drive Belts E61.pdf (656.6 KB, 363 views)
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by xyzbird
Excellent tool! In practice it has to be over the belt to force it on when you turn the crank pulley. I have managed to get better PDF of the official instructions.
awesome info ! i'm thinking of replacing my belt because it started squeaking after i applied some belt conditioner(prestone). i wanted to take care of the belt but ended up messing it up-sucks, reminds me of some veterans advice"if it's not broken, dont fix it".
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by xyzbird
I can see how to replace the main outer drive belt for water pump, power steering pump and alternator - apply leverage via large torx key in belt tensioner and remove belt.
Anyone know the size of the torx key needed for this?

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: E61 545i Drive Belts