DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 key

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've just recently purchased a 04'530i and one of the remote control keys have quit working (remote feature). I've looked around the forums some and haven't found anything as of yet pretaining to this issue. Does anyone know if the keys can be serviced? Is there is a battery inside these keys? Is it possible to get the key open with out totally destroying it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I do have a second key my wife uses (she drives the car 95% of the time). It would be nice to have my key working properly as well though.

Thanks again,
Docho

P.S. Would much rather do this myself than have to take the key to the dealer for servicing or replacement
Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by docho
Hello everyone,

I've just recently purchased a 04'530i and one of the remote control keys have quit working (remote feature). I've looked around the forums some and haven't found anything as of yet pretaining to this issue. Does anyone know if the keys can be serviced? Is there is a battery inside these keys? Is it possible to get the key open with out totally destroying it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I do have a second key my wife uses (she drives the car 95% of the time). It would be nice to have my key working properly as well though.

Thanks again,
Docho

P.S. Would much rather do this myself than have to take the key to the dealer for servicing or replacement
these keys have a rechargable battery which is charged while the key is in the ignition, I don`t think it can be replaced unfortunatly.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Yep, sounds like the key just needs to be recharged.

What I do is alternate keys each week. Of course I'm the only driver too.

Get a higher percentage of that drive time Docho!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stoic1
Yep, sounds like the key just needs to be recharged.

What I do is alternate keys each week. Of course I'm the only driver too.

Get a higher percentage of that drive time Docho!
Amen, I heard that! Thanks for the input. We just got the car 1 week ago. She's Olivin Metallic Green w/ tan interior. Sports and premium package. Auto 6 speed. I'm looking forward to doing a few of the cool upgrades I've seen. Like those cool LED amber eyebrows (sidespears?). And LED taillights. Not too much, just enought to add to the DANG!!factor We also have a 87' 325i W/5 speed manual, black leather and gold in color that I drive most of the time. I think maybe we'll have to trade off now and again. Thanks again, Grace n blessings
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Members

Old thread I know, just figured I'd toss up my solution.

I know the battery in the keys are rechargable, but they still sometimes go bad. I had this on my old E46. I bought a used key off of eBay (all the diamond ones were the same), opened it up and took the good battery out and put it in my key. There are two small connections you have to unsolder and resolder on your new key. Took me maybe 10 min total and I was able to actually open/disarm my car from several car lengths away.

They say you are supposed to rotate keys, but when each person's individual settings are saved in the key, it kinda makes that feature useless.