DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 Coding

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 525i xenons, premium package, non-nav

My cable has just arrived and I've been needing to code a few things so decided to start the learning process. Ran into a slight problem. I downloaded the files over on bmwcoding.com from the "Getting Started With Coding" thread. Followed all the steps but then when I go to open INPA, I get an error stating that the api32.dll file didn't download so INPA cannot open. I'm not sure but maybe I downloaded a bad copy of the programs and something's missing? Not sure why everybody else was able to download and it worked fine. Anybody have any suggestions? Did I miss something along the way? Maybe somebody else could provide where they downloaded their coding software.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

You may have forgotten to set the path variable.

This will help http://files.ka81.com/docs/INPA_FAQ.pdf
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by TJBentley
My cable has just arrived and I've been needing to code a few things so decided to start the learning process. Ran into a slight problem. I downloaded the files over on bmwcoding.com from the "Getting Started With Coding" thread. Followed all the steps but then when I go to open INPA, I get an error stating that the api32.dll file didn't download so INPA cannot open. I'm not sure but maybe I downloaded a bad copy of the programs and something's missing? Not sure why everybody else was able to download and it worked fine. Anybody have any suggestions? Did I miss something along the way? Maybe somebody else could provide where they downloaded their coding software.
Member Simon is a good resource as well
Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
You may have forgotten to set the path variable.

This will help http://files.ka81.com/docs/INPA_FAQ.pdf
This. This is your problem OP. You need to change your system path.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Members

thanks sahiljain would u happen to have any other useful documents to do with coding like the one u just provided?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont mean to hijack this thread but since im seeing all these topics and discussions about coding and im very familiar with computers and programming i want to start doing some on my car.. can anyone tell me what the starting cost it would be for me to get the programs and hardware needed and where i would go about doing this? and cant the software be downloaded online somewhere?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Members

Correctly set the path variable and it works However, another problem(if not one thing its another). I'm trying this on a laptop running Windows XP. When I go to device manager and then go to ports, there is no COM1 tab it just says printer port LPT1. Not sure if there is a different step I have to do since I'm running Windows XP.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by or_550i
This. This is your problem OP. You need to change your system path.
OR anyone could have an api32.dll in C:\WINDOWS and you can only have in C:\Ediabas
All of this can be found in the INPA FAQ
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Members

Okay so I have the OBD cable and software running smoothly. I've been tryin to learn the process still. What I want to do is get my car to register that I installed a new mask unit and remarry all of the modules. How do I do this exactly? Do I change the VO?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by TJBentley
Correctly set the path variable and it works However, another problem(if not one thing its another). I'm trying this on a laptop running Windows XP. When I go to device manager and then go to ports, there is no COM1 tab it just says printer port LPT1. Not sure if there is a different step I have to do since I'm running Windows XP.
If you are using the USB OBDII/K-CAN version don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: E60 Coding