DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DONT DO WHAT I DID!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='611385' date='Jun 27 2008, 12:54 PM
WHAT AN IDIOT I AM! I just replaced all emblmes w/black carbon... Thats the good news. The bad news is I did the hood, trunk and hubs first. They all popped off relatively easy (athough I left 2 little chip marks front and back (slightly an idiot)... Next, I did the steering wheel. Went behind the emblem with puddy knife and pryed for 1 secons. bent the emblem and said, ah wha tthe hell, rip it all off... Well, it had 5 clips permanently installed around the edges that now are fragments and sticking out from behind the rubber lip.

Therefore, PLEASE learn from me (the idiot) and just take the easy way and use adhesive on top of original emblem.
Thanks for the tip.

Last Sunday, I almost did what you did, but stopped short of actually yanking the badge of the airbag. My original badge now has a few nicks and scratches from my removal attempt. I simply placed an overlay badge over it, and it now looks like new.

We were almost in a race for the Darwin award...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

What an idiot this guy is!!!!! Who in their right mind would do such a thing! What a jackass!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Members

i did the same thing, pryed the old emblem and bent the hell out of it off the steering wheel and then i took a pair of needle nose pliers to rip out the metal clips so now its cleaned up and i put the new badge in its place looks good, but yeah i screwed the old one up pretty bad.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='611493' date='Jun 27 2008, 04:03 PM
What an idiot this guy is!!!!! Who in their right mind would do such a thing! What a jackass!!!
I'm telling you!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Originally Posted by 1fasts14' post='611502' date='Jun 27 2008, 04:12 PM
i did the same thing, pryed the old emblem and bent the hell out of it off the steering wheel and then i took a pair of needle nose pliers to rip out the metal clips so now its cleaned up and i put the new badge in its place looks good, but yeah i screwed the old one up pretty bad.
I tried the needle nose, but man that stuff is really tucked in and couldnt get deeper without messing up the rubber ring for airbag. I think the emblem will now be ballistic missle upon deployment
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='611397' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:08 AM
No. Hood and trunk are really simple. Use papertowel or cloth and thin puddy knife. slide under top or botton and just lift the emblem. Really easy. two pins, ni glue. pops out and you clikc the new ones in. 2 mins max. Hubs same. Even easier. no struggle. Steering wheel... Well, you know...
as an extra measure, you can put a piece of electrical tape around the puddy knife. I think I did this and a thin piece of cardboard - if you can find a solid, thin sheet that would be best. Andy, take you time.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='611493
I immediatley called the expert0 Calton and said, HELP!!!!! He was awesome and refrained from laughing as much as possible (heard the smerk however) We figured that this was all one piece and I should have just attached the new emblem to the top of the old...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

I was told not to even try replacing the old steering wheel emblem because the air bag might deploy... I just added the new black roundel on top.. it's slightly more elevated, but hard to notice...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='611512' date='Jun 27 2008, 05:30 PM
I was told not to even try replacing the old steering wheel emblem because the air bag might deploy... I just added the new black roundel on top.. it's slightly more elevated, but hard to notice...
Why not?!
Just dissconnect the battery and no any chances for air bag to be deployed by itself.

However, my steering wheel emblem became crumpled when I was really mad and push it hard. Don't wanna take a chance with replacement by myself, you never know So decided to do not go with DIY!

Be honestly...I don't think that installing over old badge it will looks as good as the real one.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

On a serious note, you folks need to get you some of these.

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile=a...500/st_9029.jpg

Order up

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

I used these for alot of my hardwiring etc.... I am sure they will be useful for the emblems as well.
The do not cause any knicks or scratches. Or let me rephrase that, I have not caused any knicks or scratches and it was well worth the purchase!