DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i

Originally Posted by 968turboS
11. Clean pan mating surface and install the new pan. Use a start patterns to torque bolts evenly. Torque specs: 6 lb/ft.

12. Undo filler orifice plug with engine stopped, top up transmission fluid until it emerges from filling orifice (approx 3.5 liters). Install filler cap but do not tighten it yet. Start engine, put on AC to load engine. Select gears with engine running at idle, Select positions R and D and shift through as far as 3rd gear (Steptronic program), keep each gear selected for 3 seconds and then engage the parking lock. Undo filling orifice plug and pump in fluid until it starts to overflow from the orifice. Install plug and torque to 25lb/ft. You should get the full 5.5 liters in using this process. I waited 5 total minutes from when I started the car to let the oil reach proper filling temperatures.
ZF has strict temperature requirements for fill. As per ZF, when adding new fluid while the engine is running, the temperature of fluid should be at 40 deg C. Oil temperature MUST NOT exceed 50 deg C. If the temperature gets past 50 deg C, you must allow transmission fluid to cool down before you start the fill procedure again.

13. Install hanger back on, install transmission mount/vibration damper, rear belly pan, front belly pan. Lower the car back on the ground.
14. Go for a test drive. Car should not hesitate after abrupt slowdowns or after going through fast turns. If the car tests fine, you are done!
15. Congrats. You just added a bit of life to your 6 speed transmission.

Difference between old and new fluid

Disclaimer: I hold no responsibility for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.
Regards.
Raj Datta
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Members

i did exactly to the letter what you did but with a little help from a hoist. when we got the car down we drove it around for about a 1/4 mile turned it off did some cleaning up then started it up drove off it was very smooth for about a mile then the red transmission fault came on and it went into safe mode. tried different things waited 12hrs. no luck do i have to take it to the stealer for a software reset or what?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by 530iracer
i did exactly to the letter what you did but with a little help from a hoist. when we got the car down we drove it around for about a 1/4 mile turned it off did some cleaning up then started it up drove off it was very smooth for about a mile then the red transmission fault came on and it went into safe mode. tried different things waited 12hrs. no luck do i have to take it to the stealer for a software reset or what?
did you fill the trans while the engine was running?
does the trans go in safe mode right away when you start it?
did you mess with the shifter cable at all?

disconnect the battery for a little while, then reconnect and see if the message is still there.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Members

disconnected the battery twice once for 1 hr. second time for about 5, the message is still there and it will shift without the break pedal being used.
the car ran and shifted perfectly before the shop did the pan and fluid but, he also replaced the electrical sleeve cover so i think it has to either be the software or the way he did the sleeve was wrong
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Members

Ok so i am in need of some help and i am posting this in this thread because i believe it is my transmisson fluid that ended up all over the driveway. The hose in the photo popped off this morning. The clamp must have been loose. Long story short. The car lost a clear like oil, not power steer, not brake, not engine oil because they are all full and car runs but the car will not go into Drive or REVERSE only into Neutral.

Is this a safe mode that you guys mentioned? I drive a 535i 2008. Unsure if it has a tranny cooler and maybe that this is one of the lines. I am guessing this oil was the lifetime oil because it was clean ( not dark black ) and no odor.

Here are some photos.

This is the hose. I reclamped it and tightend it tight!Front passengers side near the sway bar. Photo is looking under front of car towards front right wheel.

This is the hose. Front right to left its the first hose next to the sway bar! Long hose from bottom to top of pic.

Does this car have a tran cooler? This photo is of me looking through front grills. Best pic i could get.

Any help paleeeease. Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

all i know is that bmw does not use hose clamps on their lines. someone modified or changed something. i'm not sure about that little heat exchanger.

personally, i would find out why the hose popped off. was it clamped onto a smooth pipe? not good. the pipe needs to have barbs or a dimple on it to prevent the hose from sliding off. i'd fix that properly first, then fill up the trans and hope no damage was done. try not to run the car without the trans fluid. follow the fill instructions in this thread. fill the trans first, then start car and top off while its running. since you got air in the system, you may want to engage forward and reverse gear a few times to get air out, and then recheck the fluid level.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Members

Yup clamped on to a smooth pipe. Im selling this POS put back together car once i fix this. I am hoping once the tranny fluid is filled it will release any safe kill and let me put the car into gears. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Coastie5685
Yup clamped on to a smooth pipe. Im selling this POS put back together car once i fix this. I am hoping once the tranny fluid is filled it will release any safe kill and let me put the car into gears. Thanks again.
whats the history of the car? it seems strange for someone to add a trans cooler.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Members

History of it is unknown to me. Wife's dad bought it for her and it was from someone he knows. Never checked shit on it. So a transmission cooler isn't standard on the car? I'm trying to think what that hose is to? I know it is not an original part because of the clamps and the fact that it's freakin zip tied to another rubber hose under the car.

Anyone with a 2008 535i wanna take a look under their car and see what is in the same position...

I'm assuming it was transmission oil. Remember car won't go into drive or reverse but runs fine. Power steering fluid, brake, and engine oil are fine. The car info gives me no errors or symbol for why it won't allow me to go into drive. If the transmission fluid was so low would it give me an in screen error?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Coastie5685
History of it is unknown to me. Wife's dad bought it for her and it was from someone he knows. Never checked shit on it. So a transmission cooler isn't standard on the car? I'm trying to think what that hose is to? I know it is not an original part because of the clamps and the fact that it's freakin zip tied to another rubber hose under the car.

Anyone with a 2008 535i wanna take a look under their car and see what is in the same position...

I'm assuming it was transmission oil. Remember car won't go into drive or reverse but runs fine. Power steering fluid, brake, and engine oil are fine. The car info gives me no errors or symbol for why it won't allow me to go into drive. If the transmission fluid was so low would it give me an in screen error?
i did some looking for you on realoem.com it lloks like your car has a seperate trans cooler.
did someone try doing a transmission fluid flush on this car in the past? it seems strange that you have hose clamps and a jerry rigged repair for something that doesnt usually leak until years later.

www.realoem.com

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...22&hg=17&fg=05

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...26&hg=17&fg=05

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...27&hg=17&fg=05

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill