DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by josehb
what more proof do people need to understand that Mercon SP and ZF Lifeguard6 are both equal and made by shell.Please call shell at Houston, Textas for proof, also see the chart in my previous post. Mercon SP was made specifically for 6 speed automatic transmission for rear wheel drive cars with a low viscocity for improved milage, including the ZF transmissions.

I just don't like seeing people overpaying and getting riped off by dealers, when it can be avoided. I would higly appreciated if someone did that for me.
I understand. But you are new here with 9 posts. Do yo u have any credibility to dictate any of this? Think about that for a minute. You're pushing this stuff like it's your lifeline....what is it to spend a little more $ and have a piece of mind. I haven't even read over your documents. I will, but not at this moment. However, I like you, do not like people to waste their money. I have done a lot of research on motor oils.......my stance has changed even though the documentation is there. I can physically...and so can others.... tell a difference in lifter sounds etc when using BMW LL oil. Period. Just because they bring some "proof" we're close to a monkey isn't going to sell me on the idea. Sorry. I used to push for other oils until i myself noticed a difference....and with the price of BMW LL oil being $1 more a quart for me @ $5.98 , I'll take that. ..... besides the European 5w30 is NOT the same as the U.S. 5w30. Just like a LB is not the same as a KG but they are both units of measurement.

Being aggressive will not get you anywhere.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hooch999
I think ATF replacement procedure described here should not be performed the way it was described - using jack stands.
One must be completely crazy to start a car and shift gears while the car is on jack stands.
If car slips off them (which is quite probable, jack stand are NOT designed to hold a car with engine on) you guys gonna pay far more than $500 you intended to save to fix it, not to mention it can just kill or injure you or somebody around you.
?????
Each jackstand holds 3000 lbs.
Your wheels are not spinning... no difference if on jackstands or on a lift...same thing. wheels are not spinning either way...that would not be good if your suspension was suspended fully and then wheels were spinning...that's common sense.
I'm not crazy I can tell you that.....perhaps you're just scared of the 'unknown' ?
If you don't agree, then don't do it......leave it up to the real men to do the work.

As your reply warrants, I've checked your other posts.....you seem to be a very negative individual with many negative opinions. Take some leave time from work. Take a vacation. Sell your BMW and buy something that meets your needs.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
?????
Each jackstand holds 3000 lbs.
Your wheels are not spinning... no difference if on jackstands or on a lift...same thing. wheels are not spinning either way...that would not be good if your suspension was suspended fully and then wheels were spinning...that's common sense.
I'm not crazy I can tell you that.....perhaps you're just scared of the 'unknown' ?
If you don't agree, then don't do it......leave it up to the real men to do the work.

As your reply warrants, I've checked your other posts.....you seem to be a very negative individual with many negative opinions. Take some leave time from work. Take a vacation. Sell your BMW and buy something that meets your needs.
Ever heard of laws of physics? Ever read warning labels on jack stands? Can you read?
You don't need to have your wheels spinning to have your car slip off the jack stands. There can be enough force to rock your car/tilt your jack stand when you start engine and move through gears.
"no difference if on jackstands or on a lift" - are you insane? Have you ever seen professional lift equipment?

Thank you for reading my posts but I am not a negative individual - I just tell truth and unlike most pips on this forum don't sell BMW related stuff.
I would suggest "real men" like you read some books and use your head more often (not for eating but for thinking) before giving dangerous advices on forums.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Members

I believe you should not attempt this if you are not comfortable with being under a vehicle on jackstands. Know your limits...plenty of people get injured trying to work on their vehicles with inadequate experience or equipment. That being said, this is a "Do it Yourself" forum, and only you can decide if you are able to perform these tasks. For me, I have a very good background in working on vehicles, boats, and equipment. These forums have saved me a small fortune, and I enjoy these kinds of projects.

Do the research, know your limits...

carfucious
Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by carfucious
I believe you should not attempt this if you are not comfortable with being under a vehicle on jackstands. Know your limits...plenty of people get injured trying to work on their vehicles with inadequate experience or equipment. That being said, this is a "Do it Yourself" forum, and only you can decide if you are able to perform these tasks. For me, I have a very good background in working on vehicles, boats, and equipment. These forums have saved me a small fortune, and I enjoy these kinds of projects.

Do the research, know your limits...

carfucious
+1 - am sure you will agree with my next paragraphs

Originally Posted by hooch999
Ever heard of laws of physics? Ever read warning labels on jack stands? Can you read?
You don't need to have your wheels spinning to have your car slip off the jack stands. There can be enough force to rock your car/tilt your jack stand when you start engine and move through gears.
"no difference if on jackstands or on a lift" - are you insane? Have you ever seen professional lift equipment?

Thank you for reading my posts but I am not a negative individual - I just tell truth and unlike most pips on this forum don't sell BMW related stuff.
I would suggest "real men" like you read some books and use your head more often (not for eating but for thinking) before giving dangerous advices on forums.

Yes, I am well rounded in the laws of physics.
Yes. I am sure i have read warning labels on jack stands at one point in my life.
Yes I can read, Most likely, better than yourself. In fact i can read fluently in 3 languages including English.
Yes I have seen professional lift equipment. Actually I am currently retrofitting one into my 3 car garage.
I believe you're a negative individual. That will not change.
I am not sure what "pips" are.
I have read many books. If we compared books that have been read between yourself and I, I am sure I would exceed you by far.
I am not the creator of this forum, and any advice that I give is not "dangerous" in nature.

I think people like you should stay how you are so that people like me can continue to tower above you
Let me give you a disguised scenario (in other words, disguised so that you will only need to know as much as you need to):

I have a old friend, side by side that went to college with me and worked with me during college. We are two different people. i am hands-on and he is hands-off, a book worm guy.
I bought my first house at 23 and was gutting it while he was reading books on bedrest from a car accident.
When he recovered he continued to read while I continued to also read and actually apply.
We graduated at the same times. He went on to get advanced degrees and certifications and so forth. Me? I decided to stay put and continue to do what I was doing. Why? because I'm having fun. He was worried about money and the future. I am on my 5th house that I own outright. I can do any electrical work, plumbing, flooring, stonework, roofing, foundation...anything to do with a house, I can do.
I am also capable of working on vehicles in depth.
I am also very capable of working with and modifying firearms.
Hmmm what else? Oh I hold a "9-5" meaning a steady job as well as run 2 of my own companies.

Now, let's take all this into acount.
Mr. T makes $200,000 per yr working at his corporate job.
I make $80,000 yr working at my corporate + an additional $100,000 on my own with my businesses.

I also fix all of my own things therefore most of that $180,000 I keep.
He on the other hand if his toilet will not stop flowing he calls a plumber and spends a few hundred.
I do not need to explain the loss of income within a year period let alone a LIFETIME.

I am happy to be who I am and have been blessed and gifted in pretty much any technique I put my mind and hands on.
So thank you for you advice but I will pass on the advice.
Good luck to you.

Oh, and please do let me know what a "pips" is. Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by josehb
what more proof do people need to understand that Mercon SP and ZF Lifeguard6 are both equal and made by shell.Please call shell at Houston, Textas for proof, also see the chart in my previous post. Mercon SP was made specifically for 6 speed automatic transmission for rear wheel drive cars with a low viscocity for improved milage, including the ZF transmissions.

I just don't like seeing people overpaying and getting riped off by dealers, when it can be avoided. I would higly appreciated if someone did that for me.

After reading this article (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1829776) and reviewing the linked specification for each fluid, I have to agree with josehb that Mercon SP is the same fluid as ZF Lifeguard 6 for significantly less money.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Members

So wat if i only need to change the FILTER and PAN.?? can i just mix CASTROL ATF with watever left in the tranny?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Members

FYI guys, I got the parts at CTSC for $300 pan/oil/sleeve/bolts

then I went to EMW in Arcadia, CA and the dude charged me $250 for labor

Also I needed a rental so $50

Total cost = $600 for flush/pan replacement/sleeve/bolts
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Members

did it today... WOW... car drives different ")
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Hi,

I am planning to change trans filter/pan and the trans fluid in my '06 530i with 95K miles.

For the filter/pan, ZF brand pan/gasket/seal ring is available for around $170. BECK/ARNEY brand pan/filter/gasket/seal ring for around $99.
Anyone used BECK/ARNEY brand? Would you recommend this product?

For the trans fluid, Pentosin is around $15 per Ltr, Shell-M is around $27 per Ltr. Any reason why I shouldn't use Pentosin?

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill